Looking for solid replacements for the Shure M44-7 cart/stylus

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by B’s-Wax, Nov 26, 2022.

1. B’s-Wax

B’s-Wax Member Thread Starter

Hey,

I’m sure this is a topic that has become irritating for some members but I really do need some suggestions. I trust you guys far more than the Amazon comment section

My last Shure M44-7 cartridg/stylus is on its last legs and as I’ve simply love the sound that this unit puts out. I’ve tried a couple of Ortofons (High end Concords, Red) but am not thrilled. That being said. I’d really love some suggestions. I’ve seen the various 3rd part stylus replacements but am weary to try them before I get some trustworthy feedback. I’ve also heard good things about the pricey Jico N-44-7. If it sounds somewhat like the Shure, I’d be happy to pay for it. Please let me know what you think or know from experience as this cart is dear to me.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  2. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

The Jico J44's come with a nude conical stylus now and thus got more expensive. The 44-7 is about $170 I believe. The same nude stylus will fit on your Shure however. I think the price is $99-$119?
    According to Jico, they have faithfully tried to copy the Shure as much as possible! Haven't seen much in the way of forum member reviews of the Jico though.

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Buy Jico's styli for the original M 44-7 (not the Improved). Enjoy, thank me later.

The Pinhead and Boltman92124 like this.
  4. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Wouldn't the nude be better? I didn't like Jico's N44-7x standard stylus. Of course that was for the old M447x/M35x.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Save the nude for higher end platforms, say a V 15 Type III.

6. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

7. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Am in a similiar position regarding my V15mk3

I have taken the plunge and ordered from Jico direct a VN35 HE SAS.
    I hear nothing but good things about Jico s styluses.
    I agree with you about the Shure sound.
    From where I stand you have no other option.
    I wary about buying from.a reseller
    As I hear so many tales of fakes.
    I will report back.
    Good luck!

timind likes this.
  8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I have that cart and the Jico replacement sounds EXACTLY like the original, and it's the same quality as the USA-made original, and way better than the mexican-made. Cost me 40 bucks down here though. My cart is an original NOS 1977, made in USA. I never felt like upgrading it. It is that good or I'm tone deaf; you tell me.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    McLover and timind like this.
  9. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I have a 1960's M55 body mounted on my Dual 1019. Jico's styli beat out even Mexican made Shure late production. Same quality as US made originals, and consistent. You're not tone deaf. You and I like that sound a lot.

The Pinhead likes this.
  11. velo_TX

velo_TX Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered am I

Hey B's-Wax, I'm not certain if you resolved your dilemma, but it appears Jico updated their M44 styli and cartridges to be more like Shure's; check the details: New S cantilever – JICO (jico-stylus.com). "This upgrade will be for the Cartridge: J44A 7, J44D, J40, IMPACT models, the replacement stylus: N44-7, N44G such as N44 series effective from March 28th, 2023."

12. B’s-Wax

B’s-Wax Member Thread Starter

Thank you TONS!! I’ve yet to resolve my dilemma and your post really helps. I’ll update after I buy and hear. You rule.

velo_TX likes this.