Looking to get an excellent, lifelong system for under $5k (thinking VPI classic,

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ironclaw, Nov 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

If serious, there's a set of Kef LS50W in titanium that just showed up on Audiogon for $1600...

Also a VPI Classic 1 with periphery ring and some other goodies for $2250.

JMAC likes this.
  2. Davey

Well, depends on what turntable and tonearm you wind up with. There's an almost new Hana SL on audiogon right now for $450 (new retail is around $750), it's a low output moving coil that has been getting lots of raves, and they work well with relatively low mass arms (I think many of the VPI arms are on the low end of medium mass, so would work OK). The EAR 834p has transformers on the MC inputs to handle low output moving coil cartridges, but any phono stage with good low noise MC inputs would work with a low output cartridge like the Hana SL, and it would be a good one to get you started in high end audio.

Hana SL Cartridge / Nearly New | Cartridges | Seattle, Washington 98122-6201 | Audiogon

Anyway, just an example, many don't like to buy used cartridges, but I've had pretty good luck. Just has to feel right, I wouldn't buy from anyone that didn't seem totally honest and forthcoming, and have a good story, and they would probably have to be the original owner for me to consider buying. But a lot of people out there make costly mistakes when buying new cartridges since it is so hard to try ahead of time, so if you do know what you want, you can save a lot of money.

3. Davey

OK, here's another path, the beautiful Luxman 550 integrated class A amps show up fairly often on the used circuit, and there's one up right now on audiogon for a $2000 asking price, retail in the $5000 range. Only about 20 watts of class A power, and it's big and produces a lot of heat, but I've always loved that look, and they have really nice phono stage built in too. I've bid on ebay a couple times, but they always get above my limit, would love one of these for a simple second system, as it is now, my second system is kind of a hodge podge with too many components and not enough system synergy.

Luxman L-550a mkII | Solid state | Wind Lake, Wisconsin 53185 | Audiogon

[​IMG]

4. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

I can vouch for this approach. I’ve got the LS50W paired with a Rega RP3, Ortofon 2M Blue & Lounge Phono preamp. I also have Roon, Tidal and a NAS full of music. It sounds great, is easy to use and doesn’t take up a lot of space.

JMAC likes this.
  5. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident Thread Starter

Update: I didn't stay in budget, and I'm glad I didnt. Got a Classic 1 TT (the very one you mentioned Davey), Herron preamp, Belles Aria pre and 150A reference power amp. Mostly used, though very high-quality gear. And, I'll replenish the savings now, but the sound is just pure magic. Actually haven't even heard it with the Classic, still using the old TT.

6. Davey

Wow, sounds like the makings of a really nice system! We'll need to see some pictures once you get it all setup and arranged.

7. Ironclaw

How do you add a photo from iPhone photos? I only see insert URL.

8. Davey

SHTV doesn't host images, you have to upload it to a site like Imgur , copy the BBC code and post it here, or get the image link and put img tags around it like below ...
    Code:
    [img]image url[/img]
    ... or click the image icon and enter the link to the image.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/how-to-add-a-picture-to-a-post.360845/

9. Ironclaw

10. Ironclaw

Still waiting on Accutrak protractor to get the cart set-up. Sub is a used REL Britannia B2. Got to stain the oak stand and butcher blocks to match the filing cabinets. I probably should put the cabinets in the garage and get stands for room acoustics.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    HiFi Guy likes this.
  11. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I love the black Classic. Before getting mine (Black) I wanted the walnut however, black works much better with my setup and now I much prefer it.

mreeter likes this.
  12. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Congrats to the OP on what looks like a very nice System!

My first VPI Classic 1 was the Black Oak model, I traded it in toward a Black Oak Signature SE Deck. it's my current and probably my last Table.

The Black has a "Classic" look about it,that I find VERY attractive!

rebellovw likes this.
  13. Ironclaw

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments and especially those who gave advice that got me figuring out what hardware that I needed to get this dream of an analog system, which a month later I am now enjoying finally!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.