Looking to upgrade 37 year old Mission 770s

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fritz Fernow, Jan 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fritz Fernow

Fritz Fernow Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all.
    I think it's time for new speakers. I know our hearing can be stubborn and listening to new speakers especially after such a long time we feel we are missing something. But it is time. My music taste ranges from 80's Nu Wave, Ska, Reggae, Jazz, and punk. I am not so much about accuracy and imaging, but rather dynamics and liveliness. To me its all about the drums. The gist of my system is Rogue Sphinx, Avid Pulsus, Hana ML, Kimber cables, etc. I have a small room and play my music at moderate levels for 2-3 hours at a clip. I was leaning toward Spendor A2 or A4 or even the Proac Response D 2s and possible Dynaudio. The budget is between
    $ 2,000 - $ 3,500.00 depending on what floats my boat.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

It sounds like your're seeking a fast, responsive speaker. Spendor, Proac, and Dynaudio are all good choices. It's audition time.

Fritz Fernow likes this.
  3. Fritz Fernow

Yes, fast and responsive, well put. I never thought of it that way, but that does make sense. I found a deal

4. Helom

Helom Forum member

I love the Spendor A4s, very well- balanced speakers, however, if dynamics and liveliness are your thing, consider getting an in-home trial of some Spatial Audio M5 Sapphires or maybe one of the Zu speakers.

Fritz Fernow likes this.
  5. Fritz Fernow

Thanks Helom,
    I saw the video review of the Spatials on New record Day and they were on my list. The only draw back is looks like they need to be brought forward from the rear walls. I love a good hunt.

6. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yes, they need space behind them, so if that's not doable, consider Zu or other high efficiency speakers.

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

KLIPSCH !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.