Looking to upgrade my Polk RTi A7 towers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Madness, Jun 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'm running a pair of speakers now with a max power rating of 75 watts, the amp is rated at 150. It's not a concern.

The Pinhead and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Yes, I was going to say the same thing - don't worry too much about the speakers' power rating - you are never pumping more than a tiny fraction of the rated power through them anyway.

If you ever need the full power of the amp pumped through your speakers - you will likely be attempting to demolish the building you're in, not to mention guaranteed melting of your speakers, which won't even be visible under the building rubble.

You may be asking yourself "then why did I even need this big and powerful amp if my speakers are not rated for it?"

- The answer is scale. The bigger amp has a bigger power supply and provides more current to the speakers than the smaller amp can. Speakers love current, like a good engine likes RPMs, and the drivers work at higher amplitudes to provide "larger" sound. You are hearing it already, yet I doubt your amp is pumping more than 15-20 Watt through them even at highest peaks.

At normal playing levels, the power output is likely at below 1 Watt. Well, given your predelection for heavy metal - let us assume 2-4 Watt for your definition of "normal level" :edthumbs:

The Pinhead, SandAndGlass and Madness like this.
  3. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear." Thread Starter

Then why the F did everyone tell me I needed to upgrade my power from my 70WPC integrated and talk me into a power amp with 275WPC and not get better speakers? Where was all of this "you only need a little bit of power" for your speakers talk then?

4. Benzion

It was me, remember, who suggested a bigger amp? I still stand by every word. Bigger amp = bigger power supply = fuller more dynamic sound. You boasted yourself of "sound coming out of the speakers that you've never heard before". Why are you second-guessing yourself now? Bigger amp does the same functions as a smaller amp, but with larger scale. It's scale you're hearing (and paying for).

SandAndGlass and aroney like this.
  5. Madness

I'm not second guessing my decision to get a power amp. I'm asking the previous poster basically why he is the only one saying power doesn't matter when dozens of other posters said it does.

I truly am enjoying what I'm getting out of my amp.

Benzion likes this.
  6. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I guess maybe this isn't the best place for advice? Its just one data point.

Madness likes this.
  7. Madness

lol nah I got good advice. There are 8 pages of comments about this issue. And I read every one of the comments and decided for myself, after extensive research, asking questions, reading answers, that the move I made was the right one for my system at this time. I don't regret it at all.

8. Benzion

You're asking some other poster by replying to my post.

No matter, I'm glad you're liking what you're hearing.

9. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Since you listen to Hard Rock, Classic Rock, and Heavy Metal, I would go with the Klipsch R-820 with the 97db efficiency, takes just a little power to blow your head, put a little power to those and you can really smoke out. Another possibility would be a Cerwin Vega SL-15 three way, another smoker for that type of music. I would think the SVS Prime Tower in the Gloss Steinway Black finish would bring some real class to the group, that is really a nice looking loudspeaker, made in the USA, and that gloss finish is really nice, but again, for just listening to your type of music, you can really heat it up with some Cerwin Vegas or the Klipsch with their 97db efficiency and a Parasound SS amp! :agree:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Litejazz53

I think Trabik was trying to say Polk's LSiM series is in no way your standard Polk offering, it was their cream of the crop, their flagship, great quality, heavy, well built drivers, cabinets that feel like concrete when you tap on them, great engineering, fantastic cosmetics, yep the LSiM series of speakers was a whole different ball game, somewhat like a standard CD player by Marantz compared to an SA-10, there is just no comparison, same with Polk. I don't think the LSiM series would be your best choice for the particular music you listen to though. You are on track with the Klipsch with their great efficiency, great rock blasters.

Polk LSiM 707

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

When the poster said that, he was referring to something different (if you are referring to the post by member @timind).

What he was attempting to explain was that you can use as large of an amplifier as you want on speakers that are rated for much less power.

What @Benzion was explaining was that more power means that the amplifier has a larger power supply and plenty of reserve current.

Having a large amp is a definite benefit with speakers. Large Polk speakers, like the RTiA9's and the LSiM707's, although relatively efficient, thrive on more powerful amps and really step up their performance when run with a powerful amp.

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Make that 80-100 in my case, but hey; far from speaker-damaging power. As you say, better have lots of reserve power on tap and not need it ever, than the other way around. Going to the extreme of the amp's capacity usually causes unwanted distortions; ask me how I know ! (not with my current gear, thanx Satan)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Please refrain from using Klipsch and CW on the same paragraph:laugh:

SandAndGlass and Litejazz53 like this.
  14. Litejazz53

I think you mean CV! What was I thinking, I retract that comparison, I was thinking of classic rock, head bang rock and heavy metal through that CV 15" low frequency driver, enough to burn your brain, oh my! :whistle:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Believe it or not, I actually have a pair of CW's.

Here is the short story...

Somewhere back around 2011, my pool guy was mentioning to me that he had a pair of CW speakers that he wanted to sell.

Seems that a former roommate moved out and left them at his house. He also has another pair of speakers.

Now, it has been a few decades since I have listened to CW speakers. I will also add that I never heard a CW speaker that I could even bare to listen to.

He wanted $150 for the pair, so I bought them.

I figured after all of these years, they would have to have made some improvements... But NO!

They were in large black cabinets and were completely bass heavy.

And they had no real midrange, because any midrange they might have had, was obscured by the overbearing bass.

I was listening to some different music to get a better feel of how they sounded. I happened to put on the original cast album of the play Hair, from the late 60's.

I was listening to the song Frank Mills, which was sung by Shelly Plimpton. It was mostly a solo vocal number.

There was no bass in the song, only the clear midrange of Shelly's vocals.

I was kind of taken back. They sounded clear and natural.

Nothing else was even listenable, so I moved them upstairs to one of the larger motel rooms and they sat as tables on either side of the bed.

I kept them, because I was toying with somehow modifying them with a horn midrange with more gain. The midrange, as I recall, was a 4" paper cone. These were not horn CW's.

Part of my thinking here, was that the cabinets were large and they were heavy and solidly constructed.

I felt that with some modifications, they might be turned into a decent sounding balanced speaker.

Never got around to doing it...

16. M.R.Collins

M.R.Collins Forum Resident

@Madness, how is the amp and speakers sounding? Do you think it was worth the upgrade? Are the Polk's sounding any better?

17. Madness

Love the amp and yes the speakers sound like they should now. Very much worth it.

4xoddic, SandAndGlass and M.R.Collins like this.
  18. M.R.Collins

Glad to hear it! Hopefully they'll hold you through until you upgrade.

19. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I sold a pair of these two months ago after having them for 5 years or so and to be honest I miss them sometimes. Great suggestion.

avanti1960 likes this.
  20. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

man time flies! definitely speakers that deserve more cred, much more!

SandAndGlass and Ivand like this.
  21. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

And bought them thanks to your suggestion!

avanti1960 likes this.
  22. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Off topic, sorry, but how do your Polks sound with those super tweeters on top. Thinking of getting a pair for my DefTech bp7000's. Thanks in advance John M.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. M.R.Collins

apesfan likes this.
  24. mr clean

mr clean Forum Resident

Klipsch RP280 speakers can still be found? I see them for 399 all the time. They were the top of the RP line before the RP8000 and the tweeter should be better than the 820.

25. Ro-Go

Ro-Go Forum Resident

I'm late and haven't read this thread beyond the first page, but here's what I say.

1. add a second sub;

2. treat your room. Start with bass traps. The Polks will do what you want them to do. You're looking for physiological impact. Room treatment can actually allow subs to send reverberations from your toes to your heart.

If you are a metal head, you love the viscerality (ha, is that a neologism?) of the experience. You want to focus the bass. Nuance of instrument separation and space is probably not what you're looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.