Looking to upgrade. What's the weakest link in my system?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Jun 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I finally have some extra cash and I'm looking to upgrade. What would an experienced audiophile consider the weakest link in my humble/budget system?

My current setup consists of:

Receiver: Onkyo TX-8020
    CD Player: Marantz CD5004
    Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut III
    Cartridge: Ortofon OM10
    Phone Preamp: Cambridge Solo Phono
    Tower Speakers: Polk R-50
    Bookshelf Speakers: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones

I'm no expert, but doesn't conventional wisdom dictate that the speaker upgrade should come first? Then again, maybe a nice integrated amp would do wonders for my current speakers! Anyway, I'd love to hear advice before pulling the trigger!

2. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I'd move up to an OM 20 or OM 30 stylus before doing anything else.

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Better speakers will have the greatest effect on sound. If you like Andrew Jones' designs look at his newer ELAC models. The Debut Reference looks like it would be worth an audition.

After you upgrade speakers I would look into an RCM if you don't have one, then maybe a better stylus for your OM cart.

doctor fuse and dennis1077 like this.
  4. dennis1077

I DO like the Andrew Jones speakers and have heard wonderful things about the Debut Reference. I'm also considering the Wharfedale Diamond 225. They retail for $449.99 but are on sale for $299.99.

Does RCM stand for record cleaning machine?

5. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Budget?

6. dennis1077

$500. If buying a pair of bookshelf speakers, that budget would also need to include stands.

7. irender

irender Forum Resident

A OM30 stylus runs around $303.00. If your cartridge is not a "super" OM10 I would upgrade to the Super OM30 cartridge for $299.00. In fact I would just get the cartridge and start brand new. The OM30 will be a big improvement over the OM10. I upgraded from the OM20 and there was a noticeable difference.

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

speakers gotta go. use only 2. the wharfdale or elacs are very good choices, the 225 are warmer and less detailed, the elacs are nuetral and transparent.

dennis1077, boyhitscar and Dave like this.
  9. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Really depends on how much you like the Polk's then. Only other speakers worth looking at in that price range are Elac Debut B6's. Don't blow it all on an upgraded stylus IMO. Tough budget for an amp upgrade too. I say keep saving $$ and round up $1k or more. I know it's tough. Money always burns a hole in my pocket too!(I've got plenty of $100 carts I don't use to attest for that).

Firehead, Rick58 and dennis1077 like this.
  10. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Go used on the speakers, to get the next level up from your budget.

dennis1077, Rick58 and Dave like this.
  11. dennis1077

I actually like the Polk's. Would a $500 pair of bookshelf speakers not give me greater detail and improved soundstage?

12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Why are you using four speakers? You just need two. I would spend the $500 on a used pair.

13. dennis1077

Because they sound great!

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yes it makes the most difference, though a cartridge as a physical transducer also has influence. If you like Polk, and have some patience, they always seem to have some sale or other going on.

I like Wharfedale, and listened to the Diamond 11.2 for a while. It sounded nice all throughout Audio Element's shop cranking Led Zeppelin and playing a variety of other stuff. Plus, the port tuning is nice and low down around 40 Hz. Look around for the price and get inexpensive stands and you can manage those I'd say. That would come out to about the price of Diamond 240 towers; those would have more bass capacity I suppose and look "cleaner" (since I believe no normal person finds speakers stands attractive) but I have no idea how the mids and highs compare.

Whatever you get may sound great OR not so in your particular setup. So be sure it is returnable without insane expense.

15. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Tough to say since I am not familiar with your current speaker set-up, which you have said sounds great above. If you had$1k- $1,500 to spend on a speaker upgrade, you might be happier IMO. Something like the extremely popular KEF LS50's or Vandersteen 1c's. Then your talking big upgrade.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  16. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

The receiver, hands down.

BruceS likes this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yes, record cleaning machine.

Wharfedale speakers are usually on some kind of sale when older models get discontinued. I cannot say if you would like them better than ELACs though. You would need to audition both in your home to see. I do know that the ELAC DR have a very accurate frequency response but may not go as low as some Wharfedale models. I am still using an old set of Wharf 10.2, which you may be able to find if you look around.

Do you not already own a set of speaker stands? Sanus and Pangea have cheap stands that should work well, but I would look for fillable speaker stands and fill them up with shot pellets, rice, or playground sand to weigh them down. Then affix the speakers with blutak or postertak to the stands. Occasionally you can also find heavy stands on the used market. That is how I got my speaker stands.

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Agreed.

19. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

M.R.Collins and patient_ot like this.
  20. dennis1077

A Wharfedale speaker sale is what kicked off the upgrade bug. A while back I had been researching speakers that sound good in small rooms. The Wharfedale Diamond 225 was mentioned and the reviews were positive. At $449, it was expensive for me. When I discovered they were on sale for $299, I took it as a sign to consider buying a pair.

Unfortunately I DON'T own a set of speaker stands. I DID have one of the cheap stands. The top panel that holds the speaker literally snapped in half. That's what actually led me to my pair of Polk R50's! I was looking for cheap stands on CraigsList and I discovered a pair of FLOOR STANDERS for $115!

I was looking at the Sanus steel stands hoping they'd be sturdier until I discovered the Wharfedale stands. Apparently they are "specially designed for the Wharfedale Diamond 200 speakers" but are really high-quality stands. Initially, I was put off by their $249 price but was sold after discovering they came pre-assembled (it was a NIGHTMARE putting together that cheap Sanus stand). It's WAY more than I EVER would have dreamed on spending on stands, but I'd view it as a long-term investment.

WH-ST1 – WHARFEDALE

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If the stands look good to you no harm in trying them. I wouldn't put too much stock in "designed for" and all that. My Wharfedales are on heavy B&W stands. The brand of stand doesn't matter that much but there are differences in construction quality of course. Main purpose of stands is to get the tweeters up to ear level.

RE: your cheap stands that broke, I would have made a return on those or filed a warranty claim. I have never heard of any speaker stand breaking like that, not even cheap ones.

22. dennis1077

I DO like the Polk's but they were never an intentional purchase. I simply found them for a decent price on Craigs List. The chance to own a pair of floorstanders for $115 was too good to pass up.

Later I discovered that both tweeters on the Polk's are dented in. I can't HEAR anything wrong with them but I often wondered if they were damaged in any way. I also read a few reviews that claimed they were "good for movies and not music." It's a curious statement and music sounds fine to me. Still, I've wondered about their limitations.

It's validating to hear nice comments about Wharfedale, as I'm leaning in that direction. I see that 11.2's are selling for $499 but the 225's are on sale for $299. Since I still need a stand, that $200 difference is pushing me towards the 225.

You make a good point about the towers. Unfortunately, the 240's are discontinued and the others are out of my price range. I do worry that I'll lose something by downgrading from towers to bookshelf speakers.

23. dennis1077

The stands were old and out of warranty. It was also my fault. I had company over and was leaning on my speaker, essentially putting all my weight on it. Next thing I know, a big chunk snapped. I was able to fix it with blutak but it would come undone every time I moved it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    patient_ot likes this.
  24. dennis1077

This is very generous! Thank you!

I'm still on the fence about speakers but I'll keep your offer in mind!

clrvlewis likes this.
  25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you really want a set of new towers, just save up for them. No need to jump into something you don't really want. RE: pushed in tweeters, very common on used speakers. It often happens in a house where small children are around. One day the dust covers are off the speakers and the next minute the tweeters are ruined, then the speakers go up for sale and the seller doesn't mention it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.