Looking to upgrade. What's the weakest link in my system?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Jun 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

When you say "the tweeters are ruined" are you talking cosmetically?

2. dennis1077

I REALLY wanted to upgrade the receiver. Since my favorite piece of gear is my Marantz CD5004, I'll likely buy a Marantz integrated amp. If I upgrade now, I'll have to get the PM5005. If I wait another year or two, I can afford the PM8006.

PM8006

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You'll have to ask someone that knows the tweeters you have well. It might just be a dust cap therefore cosmetic mostly.

4. dennis1077

Uggg....it all sounds like such a gamble. No matter what the reviews say, new speakers may sound horrible with my gear.

Fortunately, the company I use has a very generous return policy. The issue here is "without insane expense." I've never had to ship a pair of speakers but I imagine it's not cheap.

5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Buy more music.....

6. dennis1077

I was looking closely at them last night and they are REALLY pushed in. Interestingly, the Polk R50's apparently have a known issue with tweeters blowing prematurely.

Last night I Googled if dented tweeters effect sound. Some people say "absolutely not" and it's merely cosmetic. Others passionately swear they no longer function as intended.

If anything, I can use my dented tweeters to justify my new speaker purchase!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    patient_ot likes this.
  7. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Save up. Electronics should last a long long LONG time, get what you really want. IF you think it will really be better that is...and I'd go back to the old theme that the money will yield more return sunk into even better speakers.

Crutchfield I *think* charges a flat $20 fee. If it's "return at your expense" better estimate that first, shipping has gotten VERY expensive despite so much volume and competition. I just shipped a MacBook charger, almost $10!!

M.R.Collins and Echoes Myron like this.
  8. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

You may already have moved on...but, if the dome is rubber/flexible, you can sometimes pull them back out by lightly applying a piece of masking tape, and gently pulling out. Doubt this would work on a metal dome though.

dennis1077 likes this.
  9. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Hi:

In the past, (the way way past) most would have said upgrade your speakers.
    That’s because at that time, 40 years ago, they would prob make the most difference in sound quality.

However, I think the bigger question is what you want to do. I know, all the advice I have read here is very good. And if you implement any suggestions you will hear an improvement.

You should weigh all the ideas, and think about what you would like.

Better speakers? An integrated amp? A better cartridge? Any will prob improve your system. You might consider spreading our your available cash and purchase an integrative amp and speakers.

The most important action for you to take is; take your time, try to avoid “analysis paralysis”. Then purchase the equipment you desire.

Good Luck

dennis1077 likes this.
  10. bgiliberti

In this case, I think the old advice to focus on speakers still makes the most sense. My daughter has a pair of the Polk R50s, and while they are good for the money, they are clearly built to a budget price point. On the other hand, the Onkyo receiver and Marantz CD player are not bad at all, and are well-suited to higher fidelity speakers. I think that system would sound extremely good with the right pair of high-quality $1000 (i.e. $500 each, new) floor standing speakers. On the other hand, a set of new speakers that cost $500 for the pair might not be enough of an improvement over the speakers he has now.

dennis1077 likes this.
  11. dennis1077

Thanks for the replies! A few weeks ago I pulled the trigger on a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 225 speakers. I also picked up a pair of matching Wharfedale stands.

It took several weeks before they really opened up but I LOVE them. Sometimes I just can't believe how GOOD they sound. Albums that I haven't listened to in decades suddenly sound interesting again. I even found myself listening to a 20 minute drum solo. The drums sounded so real and lifelike. It was a track that I had been skipping my entire life but was now holding my attention.

Granted, I don't have much experience with quality components, but the Wharfedale's sound phenomenal to me. I feel like I finally own a pair of "real" speakers.

SpeedMorris likes this.
  12. dennis1077

I absolutely LOVE my Marantz CD player but have reservations about the Onkyo. I essentially have what I consider quality gear being powered by a cheap $150 receiver. I've been curious if it was holding back the potential of my new Wharfedale's. It's nice to hear that they "are well-suited to higher fidelity speakers."

13. noway

noway Forum Resident

The 225s would be better with a better amplifier. An integrated, not a receiver. Buy used. Try US Audio Mart and bring lots of patience.

If I was in your position I would have bought the speaker stands used. You could have got used heavy-duty 4-pillar stands (ie. Target, Skylan, etc.) for the price you mentioned earlier, and stands last forever without having to worry about breaking. Might take awhile to find a pair though since people selling heavy stands used don't like shipping them.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  14. bgiliberti

Congrats on the Wharfdales -- great choice.
    Like Yamaha, Onkyo generally makes solid gear for money, with good power supplies, high current, and good parts. More generally, you're going to hear little difference among amps at this level, as long as you don't push them past their power limits with very loud music. Not sure what speaker cables you are using, but do yourself a favor and spend fifty bucks for a roll of 12 gauge OFC wire from Monoprice/Amazon with a decent set of DIY banana connectors. That will probably make a bigger difference than a new $500 amp.

dennis1077 likes this.
  15. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

Brand new LS 50 in germany now for 599 euro.

bgiliberti and Boltman92124 like this.
  16. bgiliberti

Does that include VAT?

17. dennis1077

I've always been curious about what makes one amp better than the other. For instance, why is an integrated better than a receiver?

If my $150 Onkyo sounds good, how would a $500 integrated sound better? What if I upgraded that $500 amp to a $1200 unit? Aren't these pieces of gear simply amplifying signals from CDs and records to speakers?

I'm not questioning whether or not they're "better." I'm genuinely curious about what improvements can be bought. I guess you DO have to spend that money to get a grasp on what better gear brings to the listening experience.

bgiliberti likes this.
  18. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

Yes, and it is a pair

bgiliberti likes this.
  19. bgiliberti

To give an example, just for fun a while back I hooked up my daughters $150 Onkyo 5.1 AVR receiver to my Harbeth M30 speakers (playing an SACD on my Marantz 8004), and compared it my $7,500 approx Conrad-Johnson separates rig (Classic SE tube preamp/MF2550 pwr.amp 250w/channel). The Onkyo did a good job, even with revealing speakers like the M30s -- it's a nice unit. The main difference was the greater sense of ease of conveyed by the CJ gear; everything sounded effortless, and just made me want to relax and enjoy the music. But honestly, I'll bet the difference between my rig and a really nice integrated amp, like a Yamaha 801 integrated (about $900), would be hard to tell -- probably the biggest difference would be the from tube preamp, which gives a more liquid, mellow mid-range. I will also say that in a blind test, that if I played the $150 Onkyo 5 db louder than the CJ gear, 90% of the non-audiophile world would say the Onkyo sounded better.

20. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Yep. I agree. If u upped the sound a bit most would miss the difference.

I think it may take a good deal of critical listening to discern differences in the finer areas of HIFI.

I’m not claiming to be an expert. I’m pretty sure anyone can and perhaps has done the following. A while ago I slowly made some minor upgrades to an inexpensive starter turntable I own. I made sure it was properly balanced, purchased a better pad, and a better stylus. I checked and rechecked the speed and made adjustments. I isolated the legs. All was done over several months.

All this caused improved sound. What I remember is how each improvement made a very small difference. In fact, In several cases I had to listen closely to note the smallest improvement. In the end I’m pretty sure it provides a much better sound than when first purchased. I have come to that conclusion when compared to my later purchased upgraded turntable.

bgiliberti likes this.
  21. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Can't speak with much objectivity, as I'm quite fond of my 225s, but I definitely agree you have some "real" speakers.

As far as amps go, you likely wouldn't notice a significant power difference between the Onkyo and some of the $500ish integrateds. But you might well notice some things like tone, imaging-dimensionality, bass control, what have you. Check out some Zero Fidelity YouTube amp reviews; Sean tries to describe things in pretty good detail. He does some Marantz, Yamaha, NAD, etc. Sean and Thomas & Stereo both like the $500 Iota VX a lot. Problem is it would have to be shipped back to England if a person didn't like it. I was surprised that he found the Yammy mellower than the Marantz 8006, for example. I used to have the opposite perception.

I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I want to try this mod utilizing taller spacers on the underside of the 225s. (Confirmed that Menards has some the other day.) If I could get a bit more snap or punch on an already decently extended bottom end, that would be great.

22. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

I was wavering between the TX-8020 and the Polk R-50s, but the OP says he likes the Polks. I owned a TX-8020, which was fine for movies and TV, but otherwise undistinguished.

Tim 2 likes this.
  23. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

If you don't mind used there are a few good buys in your area. I don't think the Onkyo is your weak spot.
    Thiel cs 2.2 speakers - electronics - by owner - sale
    DYNAUDIO Audience 42 Speakers - electronics - by owner - sale
    Snell C2 Mk2 audiophile speakers - electronics - by owner - sale
    Bowers and Wilkins 685 S2 Speakers - electronics - by owner - sale
    Two Vintage Polk Audio Monitor 11 Speakers - electronics - by owner...

24. bgiliberti

Video should be re-titled "How to Risk Voiding Your Warrany by Making Useless Modifications."

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  25. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Speakers first, but the amp has to go too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.