Looks Like Sunrise / HMV are taking over the remnants of FYE including Secondspin

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Antenociticus, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Antenociticus

Antenociticus Forum Resident Thread Starter

Earlier this week I was working in North Carolina and visited Manifest Discs in Charlotte. A store I highly recommend BTW.
    In talkingwith the guys at the desk, I was told that the store was being taken over by HMV. As an expat Brit I'm obviously very familiar with HMV and their recent tribulations.
    I did a little Googling and found this

HMV owner Sunrise buys US retail chain FYE

The story backs up what I was told: it looks like Sunrise are making a play for worldwide domination. While I'm obviously glad to see stores and jobs saved, it does seem like a monopoly is being set up here.

2. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

Have their efforts been successful in Canada and UK, or are they achieving worldwide domination over a market the size of an ant farm?

3. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

They have my sympathy.

4. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

So is this the end of TWEC then, or do they have other stores?

5. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

Sunrise took over an HMV location in a large mall here in Mississauga (just west of Toronto) but closed it down. The couple of times I was there the store was nearly empty of customers. I am primarily a record buyer and oddly for a Sunrise outlet there wasn't as much vinyl and left empty handed. That was first for me. It's now a video arcade.

I have not been to any of the other Sunrise locations in some time so I can't comment on selection and the amount of customers.

6. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Looks like SecondSpin is winding down.

[​IMG]