Looney Tunes DVD Box 2 Coming Nov. 2nd

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by reechie, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Jerry Beck says "....not on dvd yet." This means in one of the next 8 volumes he is working on. Could be 2112 before we see it, theoretically.

2. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Jerry B. is a nice guy - he tends to answer pretty quickly if you send him a question...

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I dunno, the Internet seems to bring out the best in some, years ago, it would've been an iffy chance of getting a response...Life is grand in the digital age... :righton:

4. Future Shop has it on sale this weekend for $48.99 CDN. That is about 5 cents more than the above U.S. Costco price.

I thought that Jerry Beck over the years had assisted Warner Brothers in finding all of the original cartoon titles. The first DVD I put in, was Disc 4. Right off the bat I notice that "Have You Got Any Castles" opens with the generic Blue Ribbon title.

Very nice to see the original title/credits restored to "I Love To Singa". :thumbsup:

5. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

I pre-ordered my from Columbia House about a month ago, and paid $38.95 plus tax, with free shipping. I got it last Monday, about a week after it arrived in the stores.

6. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

I noticed a lot of the Tweety cartoons open with what appears to be a generic Merrie Melodies Blue Ribbon title, as there is always a jump cut to the title card.

Also, the commentator on the "Book Revue" track mis-identifes big band trombonist Tommy Dorsey as Glenn Miller.

7. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Well, email certainly speeds up the process (and no writing letters/stamps/envelopes) - JB is a good sport...

8. fivecent

fivecent Member

Well, I broke down & joined Big Brother in ownership of the new package. Mighty fine viewing indeed. A must have if you don't already. :D

9. Film historian Michael Barrier does identify the trombonist in "Book Revue" as Glenn Miller. The Jerry Beck & Will Friedwald book Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies A Complete Illustrated Guide to the Warner Bros. Cartoons, page 154, identifies the caricature as Tommy Dorsey.

"A jam session ensues with Brass (Tommy Dorsey)..."

It's probably Dorsey. However when you look at photos side by side, for me at least, since I wasn't around in those days, these two musicians had a similar look. And they both played the trombone.

On the left Tommy Dorsey. On the right Glenn Miller.

Attached Files:

10. Spent a couple of relaxing hours today viewing Disc 4. Am really enjoying the suplimentary material, particularly the commentaries from Jerry Beck, Michael Barrier and Greg Ford.

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

After watching some of disc 2 over the weekend, my 3-year old is now running around the house saying "Meep! Meep!". This is only a slight variation from a couple of days ago when she was running around the house saying that she was Dash from "The Incredibles". :)

Regards,

12. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

And I've got a 5-year-old imitating an Ewok every few minutes. :laugh:

13. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

It is Dorsey. Glenn Miller was killed in a plane crash in December 1944 and I doubt they would have drawn a caricature of a recently deceased person.

14. fivecent

fivecent Member

Okay, I was just posed a question about the voice of Little Red Riding Hood in "Little Red Riding Rabbit". I figger someone here will be able to answer this question.

15. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

I believe it was Bea Benaderet. She did most of the female voices in the years before June Foray took over.

16. fivecent

fivecent Member

Thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhanks a lot. In June Foray's commentary on the DVD, she mentioned the name, but it went by so fast I didn't catch it.

17. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

Bea Benaderet also was the original voice of Betty Rubble on The Flintstones, and you may remember her as Kate Bradley on Petticoat Junction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.