Looney Tunes on DVD Finally!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Jul 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

On October 28 Looney Tunes comes out on DVD in a 4 disc package of 56 "best" toons. Check out cartoonresearch.com for more details!

2. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

3. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

4. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

I see Rocky and Bullwinkle is also set for release (season 1) on Aug 5th. My 8 year old son doesn't know what he's in for!

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Dammit. No "One Froggy Evening". Maybe next time.

6. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Awesome - it's about time!

Will Warners be reissuing the older pre-1948 stuff at some point as well? I thought that MGM had those rights, then haven't Warners been doing some old MGM movies on DVD?

7. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

WB bought back the rights to the pre-1948 Looney Tunes some time ago. That's why shorts from the '30s, '40s and '50s are shown side by side on the Cartoon Network.

8. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Excellent news, thank you for sharing.

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I'd guess the answer would be "Yes!" if this first set sells well!

Buy multiple copies.... ;)

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

While perusing the site, I looked at the reviews of the Walt Disney cartoon anthologies that are available -- some already out-of-print and commanding high prices. The black-and-white Mickey Mouse shorts are still available:

Walt Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse in Living Color - A Collection of Color Adventures Mickey Mouse » DVD, 2001 (OOP)

Walt Disney Treasures: Silly Symphonies - The Historic Musical Animated Classics » DVD, 2001 (OOP)

Walt Disney Treasures: The Complete Goofy » DVD, 2002 (OOP)

Walt Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse in Black and White » DVD, 2002

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I've been waiting for this news!!!!

12. reechie

reechie Senior Member

If anyone finds a complete listing of the cartoons included in the box, please post a link...thanks!

13. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

That's awesome news. I can't wait!!!:D

14. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I remember I COULD HAVE BOUGHT THE 4 5-LD collections of Looney Tunes some 10 years ago.

:Banging my head - HARD- on the concrete wall:

I only bought two of them. The best 10 LDs I own (well, next to the original THX-Certified Star Wars Trilogy).

Ack. I could have bought them... I had them in my hands... what hell it is to be a dirt-poor student. :(

EDIT: WHAT? No Beaky Buzzard in the DVD collection? No "My mama did told me, to bring something for dinner?"? FORGET IT. I WANT MY BEAKY BUZZARD!

15. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Those Laser Disc collections were phenomenal - i just wish I had bought a player 10 years ago. The 5 Looney Tunes collections would have been my first purchase. I wonder how long we'll have to wait before all those brilliant 40s cartoons come out on DVD.

Warners should do a complete Bob Clampett LT/MM cartoon set! That's what I really really want to see

16. guy incognito

For whatever it's worth, "Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid" (the short that introduced Beaky) will be included as a bonus on the forthcoming Yankee Doodle Dandy DVD. I know that's not exactly what you were looking for, but...

I imagine the "second-string" LT characters would be featured in future boxes somewhere down the line, assuming that sales of the first one are sufficiently brisk to convince Warners to produce future boxes.

17. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

One of those Beaky Buzzard cartoons, I think directed by Bob Clampett, has a hysterical line in it, where Beaky is pulling the head of what appears to be a turtle, but in fact is a very large dinosaur. He says something like "Come on, you piece of shhhhhhhh........oe leather!" Pretty bold stuff for its day.

18. guy incognito

Actually, plenty of the '40s cartoons (particularly Clampett's) feature slightly off-color humor. Another one that springs to mind is "A Tale of Two Kitties", where Catstello has nabbed Tweety atop a pole and Babbitt is shouting at him from below.

BABBITT: Give me the bird!

CATSTELLO (to audience): If that Hayes Office would only let me, I'd give him the bird, all right!

19. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

There's another Clampett Cartoon called "The Hep Cats", where a randy cat is smooching what he thinks is an attractive female, but is in fact a puppet, and after having a feel of where the cat's fanny should be, says " aaah.... something new has been added!" (while contorting his face to resemble someone famous whose name I can't remember.....

And of course there are at least two politically incorrect Clampett cartoons that I know of ("Tortoise Wins By a Hare" and "An Itch in Time") which feature suicide at the conclusion of the film - in the former case, four thug rabbits shoot a single bullet through all their heads, while saying in unison "now he tells us", in the latter, a hapless cat who sees a flea carrying off Elmer Fudd and his dog, and says "now I've seen everything", and shoots himself through the brain.

They don't make 'em like that any more (!)

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Jerry Cologna, Jack Benny's sidekick. For some reason, he was parodied a lot in Clampett cartoons.

" aaah.... something new has been added!"

Or:

"Don't work, do they?"

21. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Thanks for that clarification.....

22. Steve Hoffman

Paul,

Here is Jerry from a USO show during WWII:

Attached Files:

23. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Wow, that's cool - and it looks just like the cat at the end of "The Hep Cat" - thanks Steve

24. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, he was great.

I think because Mel Blanc was actually on the Jack Benny radio program, there was a connection there somehow....

25. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Those guys at Termite Terrace were all great - I could read about them and watch their stuff ad infinitum.

There were obviously some personality clashes, and I get the impression that Clampett was perhaps more prominent in the self-promotion department, to try and put it gently - but Clampett's work speaks for itself, and he really developed some of the Looney Tunes characters in ways that the other directors picked up on (which is not to say that they weren't developing the characters as well).

Clampett I think also pioneered the bug-eyed double-takes and stretching characters beyond comprehension - which Tex Avery took to further extremes when he made his MGM cartoons. I think Avery at Warners Brothers was more preoccupied with puns and clever gags. And what can you say about Mel Blanc? He was a genius, no doubt.

We'll never see anything the likes of what those guys achieved. I hope they really do those films proud on DVD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.