Looney Tunes on DVD Finally!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Jul 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Paul, that's interesting because I think Clampett took some characters in the wrong direction - I've never cared for the way he used Bugs Bunny. Now, Coal Black and some other naughty Warner toons he directed and are not shown anymore are another story!

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I agree, Clampett's Bugs was too much of a bully for my taste. I loved his Daffy, though.

The "now I've seen everything" line was also used in Clampett's "Horton Hatches The Egg", by a Peter Lorre fish. And let's not forget Daffy's "suicide" at the end of "The Scarlet Pumpernickel"!

3. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I had never noticed that line. I re-watched that cartoon yesterday night. Indeed - it adds another dimension to a cartoon I already loved! Thanks for the tip.

Looney Tunes were always a bit extreme. Paul, I think there are more cartoons with endings like the ones you mentioned. Sadly, (?) a whole new generation will NEVER enjoy some situations, due to censorship. On top of my head, I can think of a Bugs Bunny cartoon, where he (and a hound, whose name I can't remember) falls to his death, only to be saved (they were out of gas), then they fall again. The true ending is missing, just like the one you mention with Elmer Fudd.

There were a whole lot of cartoons that have never been released due to stereotyping, too.

I guess Cartoon Network could do a "Late Nite Black and White" again, this time with all the censored cartoons. They could show it at 2:00 AM on Saturday nights. That'd be fun!

4. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I'd have to agree with you indy and guy, that Clampett's Bugs was a rather nasty piece of work, and definitely not the way Bugs eventually evolved. I still love those cartoons. The Daffy ones are excellent, especially The Great Piggy Bank Robbery and Baby Bottleneck - Daffy at his most extreme.

I've also always really liked Gruesome Twosome (with Tweety and the Jimmy Durante cat) and Kitty Cornered (with a hapless Porky and a very sputtering Sylvester).

I agree Javier, it would be a shame to not have some of those extreme cartoons available to future generations (of adults). Some of the racial stereotyping in them is a bit much now though.

5. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Paul, I think one of the most controversial scenes involving prejudice happened not on a Looney Tunes cartoon, but on Fantasia. The scene with the black minotaurs polishing the white minotaurs' hoofs, specifically. If I remember correctly, the Fantasia Anthology mentions this as a scene that had to be deleted at the last minute.

I can't remember if it is still available as an extra on said Anthology...

6. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Clampett's Bugs was different, but I still liked him.

And I liked Chuck Jones. But, frankly, I consider him the most overrated of all the Looney Tunes directors. His character and set designs were fantastic...but his cartoons just weren't as funny as those of many of his contemporaries.

7. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Michael, I also like Chuck Jones work, but I have a preference for his earlier stuff. His really early experiments, such as The Dover Boys, and his early Bugs films, are incredible. And he did some wonderful stuff in the late 40s and early 50s - classics such as Duck Dodgers, The Ducksters, The Rabbit of Seville, Rabbit Hood (love that cartoon!). As the 50s wore on, his work became more formularised or something, and the style of animation was degraded. I for one think that the much heralded "What's Opera Doc?" is one of the worst Warner and Chuck Jones cartoons, and probably the most over-reated. It signalled the demise of the whole enterprise.

8. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Ahhhhh - now we're on the same page! I think What's Opera Doc gets too much praise, while The Rabbit of Seville used the same basic concept and was a much funnier picture to boot... :) CJ's later stuff seems overthought, not so much from the heart. Clampett's toons frequently seem too annoying to me - they're almost angry instead of funny (better be careful - our host is a Clampett man ;) ). I kinda favor Tex Avery myself, but he really blossomed after he headed to MGM (although we gotta heap praise on Fred for taking the rabbit that had shown up in several Warner's toons and making him into the Bugs Bunny we all know and love in A Wild Hare)... :thumbsup:

9. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I love to discuss the merits and styles of the different Warner directors, and it's nice to see the range of views. I didn't know our host was a Clampett admirer..... I agree with you indy about Clampett's cartoons - they are very aggressive and at times violent (I kind of like that). I do like the totally subversive nature of them, and the way he stretched the rules of animation. Some of them are quite nightmarish eg. the Great Piggy Bank Robbery, Book Revue.

To me, Avery's Warner stuff seems less visually driven, and more focused on characters and goofy gags. Of course, by the time of the MGM stuff, he was doing the ultimate bulging-eyeball jaw dropping contortions, which have only since been equalled or surpassed by Ren and Stimpy

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The best WB cartoons were the BLACK AND WHITE Looney Tunes that were directed by Clampett.

Believe it or not, all Looney Tunes were filmed in black and white until 1943!! (Jack Warner was a cheapskate). Only the less funny Merry Melodies series were in color, to go with the Warner "A" pictures of the era. After 1943, it didn't really matter which was a Looney Tunes or a Melodies. When Leon was booted out, the two competing cartoon labs merged.

Folks, try and see some 1940-43 B&W's. These cartoons are seldom shown because of that fact but they are truly funny; the best Daffy of all is the black & white Daffy! I saw a bunch at a screening with Lennie (Leonard Maltin) who is the greatest cartoon expert I know. The audience was really in stitches. Truly funny stuff.

11. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I have not seen many of those B&W cartoons at all - I assume many of them are on the "Golden Age" Looney Tunes laserdisc collections (sigh). What a treat, seeing those films with Leonard Maltin - he's a walking encyclopedia of cartoons. It was through him (and having kids) that I came more to appreciate the Disney studios efforts, in terms of the innovation and seamlessness of the production. I think the Warners stuff is up there with Disney

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Required reading:

"Of Mice And Magic" by Leonard Maltin.

The animation bible; published back when no one gave a crap about old cartoons except every kid in the world who watched them on TV!

Those B&W later Looney Tunes are the CREAM of the WB crop and will blow your mind at how funny they are (Indy Mike won't like them though; too frantic, Clampett style stuff)...

13. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Yes, "Of Mice and Magic" is significant - have had it in my library for years. I remember also reading an article back in the 80s from Film Comment, which was a retrospective look at the Warner cartoons (coinciding with an exhibition and/or retrospective at the Museum of Modern Art, I think), and focused on the different styles of the directors - that was the one thing I read that made me really start exploring those cartoons (as much as one could do with the available crappy public domain video compilations available in Australia). I remember this article highlighted Clampett as being perhaps the wildest of the bunch.

14. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

The black and white toons rarely get their due; believe me, I watch 'em when they show up, but that's kinda tricky - Toonheads is about the only place to get B&W Looney Toons action, and The Popeye Show (well, they're Popeye toons - bleccchhhh)....

I'll put a plug in for Joe Adamson's book on 1975's Tex/Fred Avery "Tex Avery - King of Cartoons" - the first GOOD book on animation I ever found (and there's a lotta junky ones out there). The Clampett/Avery/Jones/Freleng "I created that character" brouhaha isn't part of the story, so it's a pretty nice overview of Avery's career - here's a picture of the boys in Mr. A's unit at Termite Terrace...

Attached Files:

15. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

So, what's this Daffy Duck doozy that I'm gonna haveta see???? :laugh: I'd better be rolling on the floor when I get to see it! ;)

As for Mr. Clampett - his toons seem to me like they were made by the kid who'd flick someone's ear, and get a response via a laugh, then do it again and mebbe a chuckle.... and again and possibly a smirk.... and then again and finally the flickee turns around a delivers a slap to the flicker.... (can I say flicker without getting Gorted)???

16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Yes, "Of Mice and Men" is a great book - a great source of reference for all of the cartoon studios.

Off the top of my head, my favorite B+W LT/MMs:

• Porky in Wackyland
      Porky and Daffy
      Porky's Preview
      Jeepers Creepers
      You Ought to be in Pictures (combination with animation/film)

17. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

The first two volumes of the Looney Tunes LD collection are not exactly chock full of B&W cartoons... if memory serves me right, all the non-color ones are NOT Daffy, Bugs or the gang.

As far as directors are concerned, I love Tex Avery's style. His "mambo" cartoons, or his "westerns" are *very* funny stuff.

18. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

• Nice list! I'd second that and add Porky Pig's Feat.

19. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Porky the Wrestler should be up there...

20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Is that the one where Daffy is the hotel bell-hop? I couldn't remember the name of that one. It's hilarious!

21. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

No, stereoptic, "Porky Pig's Feat" is the one where he and Porky have the unpaid hotel bill and keep trying to escape. Tashlin's best cartoon by far.

"Dime To Retire" is a late-'50s McKimson cartoon where Daffy is a desk clerk and rents out a cat to Porky to eliminate a mouse, then rents him a dog to get rid of the cat, etc. Is that the one you're thinking of?

Jerry Beck has put up some cool before/after images of some restored scenes at his website.

http://www.cartoonresearch.com/kaz.html

22. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Thanks for the link, Mike... the restored images look superb. The LD's look as washed-out as the VHS tapes, apparently.

23. danstone

danstone Senior Member

Perhaps it's just me, but those restored images almost look *too* vibrant.

I'm not a restoration expert by any stretch of the imagination so maybe someone more familiar with restoration and/or cartoons from that era can comment on whether those look to be accurate representations of what audiences of the time would have seen or whether they look to be overly enhanced. I'm hoping, since Jerry Beck has been involved in the restorations, these are indeed accurate and that I'm simply not used to ever seeing them look this good.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

24. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Steve has explained that true Technicolor IB prints have exceptionally vibrant, almost 3-D appearance; HOWEVER, these restorations aren't Technicolor prints (someone noted Technicolor recently closed that operation after having restarted it not too long ago - confusing, isn't it???) - I think Steve mentioned they'll most likely be Eastman color, which is a whole nother beast. Do some searching at the site for some older threads that explain things in more/better detail than my quick n' dirty summary...

25. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Yes, those colours do look rather intense. Lets hope they haven't overdone it, and it all turns out fine in the end (!). Can't wait to see this stuff.

I wonder if there'll be any Art Davis cartoons in there.... he did some fine cartoons for WB in the 40s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.