Looney Tunes on DVD news

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Apr 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

Guys- Please check out thedigitalbits.com for news and a link to a survey on the Warner Bors website about the Looney Tunes DVDs. There are 4 choices for possible consideration for release later this year. I havent taken the survey yet because the website was busy, but please take time to fill out the survey. I would suggest the Golden Collection as it has the most shorts and supplemental material. Remember, we want all the shorts fully restored, uncut, and unsensored. Now is your chance to let WB how you feel. This is not an April Fool's joke. Now if only EMI/Apple would take a hint from WB.

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I keep getting an "unable to service request" error when I try to take the survey. :rolleyes:

Agreed that the "Golden Collection" seems the most desirable of the available options. But even that one seems too limited in scope IMO, and the "best of favorite" characters concept isn't nearly as attractive to me as just putting out the shorts in chronological order, or grouping them by director.

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

No matter what is reissued, they're going to miss a lot of our favorites. I have copies of that VHS series that was out in the 80's, as well as the laserdiscs. There are still shorts missing from both sets...and one set leaves off shorts the other covers.

I'm just afraid the definitive collection of shorts will never get released like any of us dream it.

4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I was able to get on and take the survey. Unfortunately, much of it centers around what appears to be a newly produced DVD which puts the Looney Tunes characters on modern day reality shows like "Survivor". WB still seems to be treating these characters as kid's stuff, where the classic cartoons were produced for adults. It seems as though WB are testing the waters with this newly produced program, and I hope the fate of DVD releases of the classic cartoons doesn't rest on how well the new stuff sells.

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Did anyone buy those WB Lazerdisc box sets of toons?? Those were really expensive, but I hear they covered quite a bit that we may never see again....

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It's confusing, but WB never released a laserdisc box set of Looney Toons. MGM/Turner had rights to most of the color Looney Toon & Merrie Melody shorts before 1948 and released a series of boxes called "The Golden Age of Looney Tunes". Warner had rights to the 50s+ cartoons and the older B&W toons, and they released individual disc sets with 14 toons each.

Warner has since acquired the rights back to all of the LT & MM shorts (as well as all of the classic MGM cartoons), and will be releasing whatever DVDs we might see in the near future.

Regards,

7. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I don't care much for the older LT/MM cartoons, so I hope they don't focus mainly on those and overlook the newer toons from '48 onward.

"He's Jack." :D

8. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Funny, when I went to take the survey I answered the first couple questions about age etc.. and was told they already had enough people in my age group,thanks anyway.

9. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

The stuff from the 30s is way better than the stuff from the 60s!

The best stuff is from the early 40s to the mid 50s.

10. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I really hope that they publish a non-edited version from the good old days. With all the violence. IMHO, they edited out the violence and they disappeared from the ratings. That should tell them something.
    Tried voting and got nothing.

P.S. Bug's has always been my hero. The ultimate smart ass.

11. Beatlelennon65

Strabo- Gotta love Bugs. I like Daffy Duck and Tom and Jerry too. I have to have all the Taz and MArvin the Martian though.

12. guy incognito

The more I think about it, the best way for Warners to handle this would be to adopt a multi-pronged approach to Looney Tunes on DVD. Issue comprehensive box sets for the serious animation buffs, and single-disc "best of" collections for more casual fans and the family/kiddie market. Package the shorts in different ways for different audiences, and everybody wins.

I fear Rudy is correct, however. Something tells me the prewar stuff is going to be way down WB's list of priorities in this campaign, and I won't be a bit surprised if a lot of it (Bosko, the "PC blacklist" titles) continues to be MIA for a long time to come. :mad:

13. Beatlelennon65

I just want the releases to be out in character sets. That way I can have all of the Bugs and Daffy without the other stuff I dont want. Most people who are big enough fans to know tunes by director would probably want all the tunes for a certain character. I want all the Bugs stuff, not just the early stuff. If you go by director, you would have lots of overlapping with other titles if you had best of etc. As much as I like Tex and some other directors, I wouldnt be that interested in stuff that didnt feature main WB characters. If they had character sets for Bugs, Daffy, Tom and Jerry, Taz, Porky, Sylvester and Tweety and the other main characters and a box set featuring other charcters pre and post war it would be easy to collect what we want.

14. guy incognito

beatlelennon, not to drag this thread too far off topic but I was wondering if you could address a question that's been vexing me for some time: just what the hell is the fascination with "Taz"? IM(NSH)O, he's perhaps the most boring and one-dimensional of the classic WB characters (all right, maybe Speedy Gonzalez could give him a run for the money there). He wasn't introduced until Termite Terrace was into its late-'50s decline. And the handful of shorts in which he appears, mostly McKimson-directed, are (again, IMO) some of the least funny or interesting titles in the LT/MM canon.

Yet he seems to be one of the most popular characters of them all today. There must be some attraction that's escaped me there; what is it? :confused:

15. Beatlelennon65

I think it is the one dimensionalism that makes him funny. Why for you bury Taz in the cold cold ground? I like him just because he is a whirling bit of fun and stupidity. The junior Taz on Tiny Toons was ok too, although I liked daddy Taz better. We are talking about cartoons, they dont have to be complex, just fun. Marvin the Martian is a bit one dimensional too, but that doesnt mean he isnt funny. Taz is no Bugs, but he is still funny.

16. Ken_McAlinden

Even the Bob Clampett stuff? All of that was prior to '48.

Regards,

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I love a lot of the old 30's - 40's stuff. Bosko, I Love to Singa, I Wanna Be A Sailor, Clampett, B+W Porky's. Jones' Sniffles, Inki, Hubie and Bertie. I don't care for some of the "travelog","newsreel", "musical", or "Hollywood" toons.

Most of the stuff that WB produced in the 60's was so embarrassingly bad it hurts to watch them because they can't compare to the great 40's-50's. Return of Duck Dodgers from the 70's was OK. Actually, what I have seen of the 80's and 90's stuff is good, like The Duxorcist.

18. Ken_McAlinden

"Carrotblanca" and "Chariots of Fur" from 1995 were both pretty good. Both were released on VHS, but for some reason they were in mono even though I believe they carried "Dolby Stereo" credits. :confused:

Regards,

19. reechie

reechie Senior Member

My rule of thumb is, if the music credit says "Bill Lava", it's probably not worth watching.

20. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

"I Love to Singa (1936)".

If you don't love that, you suck. :)

I love to sing-a
    About the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a,
    I love to sing-a,
    About a sky of blue-a, or a tea for two-a,
    Anything-a with a swing-a to an "I love you-a,"
    I love to, I love to sing!
    Give me a song-a
    About a son-a gun that went and done her wrong-a.
    But keep it clean-a,
    With a cottage small-a by a waterfall-a,
    Any sob-a that will throb-a to a bluebird's call-a,
    I love, I love to sing!

I was born a singin' fool-a,
    Lah-de-dah!
    Ol' Major Bowes is gonna spot me,
    Got through Yale with boula-boula,
    Lah-de-dah!
    Old microphone's got me!

I love to sing-a,
    I love to wake up with the south-a in my mouth-a,
    And wave a flag-a,
    With a cheer for Uncle Sammy and another for my mammy,
    I love to sing!

The swingin'est,
    Hot singin'est,
    Bell-ringin'est,
    Song singin'est
    High tootin'est,
    Sky tootin'est,
    I love to sing!

21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

:thumbsup: you're right, it is totally uninteresting and doesn't have the energy that the Stallings had. The Lava's also sounded very tinny.

You Croon-a! You Falsett-a!! :)

"Owl" Jolson!!

22. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Does anybody know the name of that cartoon where Taz and Bugs are digging for groundhogs and Bugs throws dirt on top of Taz, burying him and he says the line about being buried "in the cold, cold ground"?

23. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

"Devil May Hare," the first Bugs-Taz cartoon.

24. reechie

reechie Senior Member

That's because Stalling wrote and recorded scores specifically tailored for each cartoon. Lava used canned music tracks, and used the same ones over and over again in multiple cartoons.

25. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Thanks Tim!!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.