Looney Tunes on DVD news

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Apr 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Absolutely true. Stalling had a particular genius for scoring these cartoons with a sense of timing and gift for comic motif that made him arguably the most important thread in what made Warner Brothers cartoons unique.

Regards,

2. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

That one's great, I think there was a volume 2 that I never got around to picking up.

This one's a neat set as well:

4. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Here 'tis.

Folks might also want to check out this collection featuring the original recordings of Raymond Scott. Many of Scott's compositions were borrowed by Stalling for the WB cartoons, the most famous one probably being "Powerhouse" which was invariably cued up for scenes involving machinery or gadgets of any kind.

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

It seems like Amazon has the songs linked to the wrong album (at least the Windows Media links)!!!That's not the Powerhouse that I remember!

6. stereoptic

I never got around to getting Vol. 2, either. Actually, there is a limited edition of Vol 1. I think that the only difference was that the WB "target" was used for the disk art.

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There IS a CD out on Columbia that I have. I think it's called the Genius Of Raymond Scott. He was an avid inventor, and quite a composer.

It was released on the cusp of when Ren & Stimpy cartoons used his actual recorded music. Stalling used his music, but did it himself. The musicians must have hated Scott because a lot of his work is very hard to play.

8. stereoptic

It's interesting to hear Stalling's instructions to the musicians, eg. on "Puddy Tat Trouble" where he slightly changes the tempo or the emphasis of each note.

9. RDK

RDK Active Member

The Raymond Scott disc is terrific - I believe there was a previous thread about him here somewhere.

10. guy incognito

Remember that a.) That album features the original recordings Scott and his group made (Stalling re-recorded the themes for the cartoons); and, b.) "Powerhouse" has two parts to it, a "speedy" section (which is what's played on the Amazon clip) and the more familiar "dum-dum-dum-DUM-dum dum-DUM-dum" section that most people associate with the piece.

11. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Is the remastered Raymond Scott disc better than the old one?

12. stereoptic

I'm familiar with Powerhouse. However, if you listen to the files on the amazon site, it is neither Raymond Scott or Stalling. It sounds like some heavy metal band!

13. guy incognito

Okay, I see what you're talking about now. I hadn't noticed where you mentioned the Windows Media clip.

Nope, that's definitely not right! :D The RealAudio link is Scott's "Powerhouse", though.

14. stereoptic

thanks, guy. I couldn't check the Real Audio one, as it doesn't work on my work PC. I wonder if anyone bought the CD based on the sound file!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.