Loop antenna webpage and question.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Larry Naramore, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead Thread Starter

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Gosh, Larry, after all you've read on this board, you're still listening to the radio? Sheesh....:D

:ed:

3. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Ed,

I bet Larry wants to listen to that AM Oldies station in SoCal or, he wants to listen Terra del Fuego at night!

Larry, I have an external loop AM antenna. One lead is active and the other is the ground. On the back of your reciever there should be a place for an AM antenna with these (2) lead posts. Some do not have this for AM as they have an internal AM loop antenna. The best AM antennas are long wires placed outside the home with one wire being a ground that is inserted in the soil outside the home.

Bob :)

4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Larry, Are you totally bonkers, I am trying to figure out how to get a great outdoor FM antenna (like an APS) and you are talking about AM. :rolleyes:

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Some loop antennas work as well without being connected by placing them on top of the radio.

6. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead Thread Starter

Hi Bob :wave: Yea I'm after AM 1260 although I'll probably get tired of their playlist in a month. They do come up with some off the wall stuff occassionaly. Not a big radio fan, in fact I sold my Luxman tuner on Ebay about six months ago because I never used it. My radio is out in the garage in my workshop.

Are you talking about a wire that goes around the whole perimeter of the house?

7. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Hi Larry! :wave:

As I recall, there is an ideal length for an outside wire. I just cannot remember that length. My Dad had a wire that extended from the house to a clothes line pole and then a ground wire on a peg inserted in the ground next to the house. He used insulated wire. The results were quite good, amazing actually. You may be able to find some ideas on this on the Internet. Try AM-DX on a search engine. My external loop is a homemade loop that my Dad made that I can use indoors. It is effective but nothing like an AM antenna located outside the home, which will have more gain.

Bob :)

8. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

9. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

He's trying to DX those "Ralph Spoilsport Motors" commercials....."right in the heart, of Emphysema"

dave
    ;)

10. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Here's a page:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/3332/wireantenna.html

I used to have one of those at Dad's house, too. I believe it was about 40 ft long. We put it up for a crystal radio project that turned out to never work properly. But once I got an AM/FM tuner for my audio rig, I was able to pull in a lot of distant stations.

11. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

If you don't have powerful am stations in your area, you can hear a lot with a longwire antenna. When I lived on the Oregon coast in the 1970s, I often heard the Pacific rim at night as well as most of North America and the Caribbean on the AM band. On 750 khz, for example, depending on atmospheric conditions, time of night and time of year, I would pull in KFQD in Anchorage, WSB in Atlanta, YNX in Managua, JOBB in Osaka, and 4QS in Toowoomba Australia, while dodging KXL in Portland. Even in the daytime I could listen all day to KGO in San Francisco except in the summer. Back then all stations has independent progamming. Now even the commercials are the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.