Lorde - "Solar Power" New album 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rlj1010, Jun 10, 2021.

1. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Indeed it is.

2. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

The change in the songs tempo at about the 2:06 approximately mark is a very nice touch and adds mightily to the song.

Very exhilarating and intoxicating!

3. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I will say, my initial burst of enthusiasm for the song has worn off a little after multiple listens. I still like it. It's still just the right mood and spirit for me at the moment -- as I've said, such a relief from the darkness of life, and from the pervasive darkness of so much contemporary pop culture. I'm still completely charmed by the "can I kick it...I can can you reach me... you can't" constructions in the two verses. But the song's not really much of an ear worm, and I wish the rhythm would kick in sooner and stay longer.

4. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Channeling Sheryl Crow? From comments by Atlantic magazine critic Spencer Kornhaber who sees post pandemic music returning to a simpler, sparkly 2000s vibe.

"It feels like Lorde is attempting a cultural reset. And I kind of support it. It’s a song about emerging from darkness and winter, and just letting yourself enjoy life again.

Lorde’s first album was also a cultural reset, back in 2013. She ushered in a more introspective, vulnerable, and somewhat morose mood on the pop charts. People might have expected her to come back and make more music like that. But she said, Screw that. I’m going to make my Sheryl Crow, strummy campfire anthem and tell everyone to lighten up."

mschrist and jfeldt like this.
  5. Mist3rCe

Mist3rCe Forum Resident

Definitely I will have a look to the record when arrive to the shops.

6. Mrsharko

Mrsharko Forum Resident

I have and enjoy her first 2 albums, and I have no problem with vapid party pop beach songs—the Beach Boys are one of my top groups and I actually listen to Still Cruising and Keeping the Summer Alive on a regular basis. This song, however, is just not very good (yes, I realize those BB albums aren’t very good either). The lyrics are weak, the rhythm is mostly plodding, and the guest singers add nothing to the song.
    I’ll check out the rest of the songs when the album comes out, but as a lead single, I don’t care for this one.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  7. dance_hall_keeper

As with any new release by an established artist, it comes down to how many new fans will be garnered by it and how many old fans will be alienated by it.

I thing the timing and the song matter mesh perfectly.

Hippie music for the “Post COVID-19 Pandemic”.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  8. possumdude

possumdude "Spies Like Us" Aficionado

Some people can't deal with a woman being comfortable in her own skin and have to project their own insecurities.

anyway, the song is nice and breezy, kind of a welcome respite after the last year and a half as someone else pointed out earlier in the thread.

9. Mr. Siegal

Mr. Siegal Forum Resident

first impression: sympathy for the devil + loaded (primal scream) + faith ➡ freedom'90 (George Michael)
    also echoes of Haim + last St. Vincent.
    Not much of a single, could be a good album track though.

seaisletim likes this.
  10. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

Also Primal Scream - "Loaded"

Dudley Morris and ElevateMeLater like this.
  11. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

Nah, I think it's a more the issue of an artist portraying themselves as one thing for one or two albums, and then doing a complete 180 on their musical style/image.

Like when Mumford and Sons decided they weren't potato farmers anymore and wanted to be Coldplay. That turned off a LOT of fans and it didn't help their new material was pretty bad and had nothing to do with what they built a fanbase with.

This song is a lot of air and not much else. A catchy chorus and....uhh....there's nothing else to latch onto, earworm-wise in the main part of the song. The whole song seems to go against established Lorde attitude and aesthetic, which was pawned off on the public as "real" music, but now it seems like she's gone full corporate drug store commercial music.

It's like we were lied to.

Say It Right, trickness and gsmile like this.
  12. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

What is happening on the cover?

I like Lorde but that's an embarrassment.

13. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Agree! It’s a complete rip off of the end of George Michael’s “Freedom”, which was a very exhilarating and intoxicating song when it was released in 1990

Ctiger2 likes this.
  14. trickness

everything in context… Duran Duran seemed like a breath of fresh air after the previous decade of hairy chested rock dudes putting cucumbers down the front of their pants

CrombyMouse and Billy Infinity like this.
  15. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Challenging notions of sexuality and body autonomy? Trolling us? Having a laugh? All of the above? I like it. It’s bold and brash and doesn’t care what we think.

Eliminator Jr. and possumdude like this.
  16. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Us Kiwi's are a Cheeky bunch.....

17. trickness

So showing your ass has somehow turned into the noble act of “challenging notions of sexuality and body autonomy” - if this was a butt on a 80’s metal album, would anybody grant the image that kind of “empowerment” sub text?

Can’t we just call it what it is? “i’ve been gone for a while and I’m worried that nobody cares anymore. If I show everybody my backside, they’ll start talking about me which is just what I need to get my record some traction”

Excuse with me while I go out on my balcony and flash my neighbors my old wrinkly backside. I think their notions of sexuality and body autonomy need to be challenged on this fine Saturday afternoon. Hopefully nobody calls the police

18. possumdude

Artists change, they aren't obligated to cater to the fans' perception of who they are. The flip side is that fans aren't obligated to enjoy the changes or go along for the ride, but it's silly to say "I don't like the new Lorde, she's being fake and lied to us about who she is". Of course she's not the same as she was four years ago when she was 20, or on her first album where she was a teenager.

It's even sillier to look at a woman wearing beach-appropriate clothing, moving and dancing around freely and comfortably in her own music video, and reduce her to being a "sex kitten". It's not like she's grinding on people in a dominatrix outfit, and even if she was, it still wouldn't be deserving of sexist comments, because she has a right to express that part of herself. If people are uncomfortable with it, they're welcome to move on and enjoy other artists without being weird and condescending.

19. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Agreed. I'm not offended, just think it undermines her craft. Of course they'll spin it. Same old story....

Buggyhair and trickness like this.
  20. possumdude

If you honestly feel betrayed by an artist showing a bare part of her body on a single cover, not even in an overtly sexual context, it says a lot more about you than the artist.

This thread feels like it's 2 steps away from someone saying "shame on that hussy for showing bare skin instead of dressing modestly and wowing us with her talent and intellect". That's embarrassing.

21. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Did I say I feel betrayed? Best not to assume. I won't lose a wink of sleep. But that's my opinion. You have yours, done.

But it takes a lot of mental gymnastics to think that isn't sexual. IMHO.

goodiesguy, gonz, Buggyhair and 3 others like this.
  22. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

Young people nowadays .........:D

23. trickness

Yeah it’s a weird old world, somebody sticks their butt in your face and wouldn’t you know it, people might have questions about your motivations. Especially when your income is derived from getting people to pay attention to you (SHOW business).

Not to mention that Madonna did this on a pro Jedi level like 35 years ago

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  24. dance_hall_keeper

Patience Grasshopper, patience.

25. Mist3rCe

Mist3rCe Forum Resident

Marketing works. Maybe some real fans here, not my case, but it is "in your face" cover art. Obviously, it attracts attention.