Lorde - "Solar Power" New album 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rlj1010, Jun 10, 2021.

1. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Pun intended:D?

On topic this forum tends to be uptight about everything. This whole forum needs to lighten up a bit.

modela, Man at C&A and scobb like this.
  2. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Hey, I'm always up for the crack.

3. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

Just went through 5 pages and still looking for actual comments on Lorde's music.
    That is if music is to be found in this vid ?

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  4. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

I've seen this single talked about on a couple of sites, and about 1% of all the comments are about the cover; the rest is about the song. Here though, with a bunch of pervy and/or easily offended boomers, it becomes the main talking point. Depressing, but kinda predictable.

5. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Actually what's happened is a few of us casually criticized the cover then had to defend ourselves against accusations of sexism. If anyone's "worked up", that is the reason. It's just impossible to some people that such a cover could be critiqued without it being about gender.

If Ed Sheeran put out the same cover, I would say exactly the same thing.

6. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

I have KIWI heritage and can confirm they all dress like this in warm weather.

7. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Well, I now have an image of Ed Sheeran's clammy man-gina in my head. Thanks a lot mate! :p

8. futureinreverse

futureinreverse Forum Resident

Taint that impressive.

goodiesguy, BeatleJWOL, gonz and 2 others like this.
  9. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

My point was that most people literally don't care enough about the cover to comment on it over her new music. Except here.

BeatleJWOL and possumdude like this.
  10. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

No one cares that she showed skin. They care that she felt she had to.

goodiesguy and Ryan Lux like this.
  11. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I wonder if (fill-in-the-blank) went through this kind of scrutiny and verbal abuse.

I have a great example for (fill-in-the-blank), but I don’t want to offer it and watch as this thread goes into crash and burn mode.

12. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

There's really nothing sexual about this album cover, unless the viewer brings that objectification to the image. It's a butt, on a beach, of the artist having carefree fun. It's not prurient, though the male gaze may grossly commandeer it for that purpose, but the visual fits perfectly with the relaxed and hopeful summer vibe of the song. If this tune is any indication, Ella is entering a brighter phase of her songwriting--Jack Antonoff is a hopeless romantic and a seemingly positive-against-all-odds songwriter, so working with him probably drew some of those same feelings out of her. She seems to be in a completely different place emotionally and in terms of maturity than she was when she made Pure Heroine.

13. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

nothing sexual? have to disagree with that statement
    the song is ok imho, seems lately Antonoff has been credited on a few records

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  14. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Yes, let’s all realize the true victims here: old white males.

15. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

She seems to be wearing a swimsuit. At the beach. If you find that sexual, please stay away from the beach. Thanks.

16. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Well done. You have no idea what age, race or sex most of us are here. But you've shown how enlightened you are. I'm envious.

goodiesguy, zen and all24bits like this.
  17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Why thank you! No need to be envious, friend. You too can become enlightened. It’s not that hard.

18. possumdude

possumdude "Spies Like Us" Aficionado

I still can't wrap my head around somebody showing their body on a single cover - not doing anything provocative, not simulating sex in any way whatsoever - and being written off as an attention-hungry sellout "sex kitten". It's sexist, period. People can deny it as much as they want, but if they don't like being called sexist, they're free to not make reductive, sexist comments in a thread about new music.

19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

It’s just a fun photo. Yep, she’s a young person in good shape, but I don’t get a thirst trap vibe from the photo at all.

20. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

Yesterday I listened to her two first albums for the first time since they were released and was impressed with the second album more than the wonderful debut. I enjoyed them much more this time around than when I listened to them right upon release. The EP is really good as well, for some reason I got really hooked on Biting Down (which isn't really the type of song I get as an earworm).
    While I might not like the new song as much as the songs from the first two albums yet, I like the influence of Primal Scream's Loaded on the second half of the song, I ended up preferring the acoustic first half a little bit better. For those following Primal Scream on their Instagram, they are completely aware of the nod and influence and proudly remarked they loved the new song with the obvious influence. I'm very much looking forward to the new album!

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  21. possumdude

possumdude "Spies Like Us" Aficionado

Ooh, I completely forgot about that song. Haven't heard it in several years but I might go give it another listen now.

raimiz1991inc likes this.
  22. eclecticfiend

eclecticfiend wavy air aficionado

I can never make up my mind on Lorde. Found the first album very generic. Her second was privileged girl bitching and being promiscuous: The Album but truly masterfully done. I’d go so far as to say it’s a masterpiece. This sounds a bit like a return to the generic, but is kinda catchy. I’ll withhold judgement until I have the whole album.

23. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

upload_2021-6-13_12-19-7.jpeg

Ryan Lux likes this.
  24. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I grinned at that comment even though I didn’t want to. :shh:

25. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Female artists can show parts of their bodies for reasons other than being sexual, yes. Just like male artists can.

BeatleJWOL, Man at C&A and possumdude like this.