Loricraft PRC-4 Deluxe Record Cleaning Machine mini review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fmuakkassa, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. douggyheffernan

douggyheffernan New Member

Can´t find the cleaning solution on one of the pictures online. It´s called Premiér! What ist it? THX

2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

3. azvd

azvd Forum Resident

I have recently purchased a PRC4 as well. Excellent purchase, my ears are delighted with the results of a 3-step cleaning using Disc Doctor brushes. Adopted a couple of mods suggested online like the o'ring to hold the spool steady and thin layers of vaseline around the connections to avoid air leakage. I also leave the pump on for a few seconds after a step is done in order to keep the tubes clean. Suction is so strong that the arm gets lightly wet and significantly cold while in action.

A perfect contact between the arm's magnets seem to be key for my machine. Whenever they get contamined or dirty (I don't know how this happens, but it does eventually), the arm tends to fastly traverse the record as if neglecting its surface. Taking it out and wipping tthe magnets clean brings it back to normal.

Coming from a 100% manual Nitty Gritty machine, the PRC4 brought wonders to my cleaning routine, both in terms of usage and sonic results. Highly recommended if you can't stand the noise of the traditional RMCs, if you want to avoid static and are looking for a more accurate vaccum system.

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Wonder if older models can be upgraded to new specification? The Loricraft cleaning machine is the finest out there.

5. douggyheffernan

THX Tony!

BTW: My PRC4 is on the way. :)

I´m in New York and Boston this July for a week. Does anyone know a good Record Store (used and new for Rock/Pop). And maybe a Store were I can buy the Premier Pre-Cleaner and the Vinyl Zyme Gold?

THX.

6. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M Thread Starter

Wow. That is an old thread you brought back to life!

Tony gave a you source for the Premier.

Here is a source for the Vinyl-Zyme Gold

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/TTVJ_Vinyl_Zyme_p/aat0000169.htm

Congratulation on you PRC4. You'll enjoy it. Make sure to put the records you clean in new inner sleeves!

7. douggyheffernan

8. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

First, great review. i have been looking at powered machines for a while, just can not justify them in my mind. How is this better than my Spin clean/hand clean method. I first Spin clean them, then hand clean using a high quality enzyme cleaner with a MoFi hand brush, then Spin Clean again (probably unnecessary). The Spin Clean was $80, the brush $25 - replacement pads $2.50 each. I can easily do 2 LP's inside of 20 min. I see you also have to do manual work, so, please. sell me!!

9. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Your method will get the job done (at a fraction of the cost vs Loicraft).

But it won't get the job done "right."

10. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

The thing is, there is no brush with bristles so thin that they will reach right down into the groove. All a brush does is move the liquid around and hopefully encourage the cleaning liquid to reach right down into the groove and loosen the impurities that cause the ticks. But loosening them is only half the battle - somehow you have to get them out from right down inside the groove. Since there's nothing you can use that will actually reach down into the groove and remove them, the next best thing is a vacuum which will hopefully suck them out, along with the cleaning fluid that loosened them.

Well, you did ask! They are expensive, for sure, but I've never heard anyone say, "I wish I hadn't wasted my money on a record cleaning machine."

11. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

My ears tell me...... Yes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.