Los Lobos Live in a restaurant

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ephi82, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working Thread Starter

I sat at a table at the foot of the stage for Los Lobos last night. David Hildago was right in front of me. They played two sets, the first was all traditional Mexican and other Hispanic folk music, using all acoustic instruments. Second set they rocked out.

They were pretty incredible. Wow those guys can play! What surprised me was that they played for a crowd of about 250 people in such a small and intimate place! Catch them if you can.

2. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

Nice.... One of my favorite bands, have seen them multiple time... This summer saw them with The Mavericks.

3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

When I read the thread title, I thought,
    “That must be very crowded, especially if their families are with them, too!!!”

Man at C&A, Guy Smiley and kronning like this.
  4. Is this a specific small venue tour they are doing?

Where did you see them?

5. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Saw 'em at Toad's waaay back in The Late '80s and they were terrific.
    Coming back around in June so may make the trek. Great live act.

6. bobc

bobc Bluesman

That sounds the best night out possible. I'm jealous.

7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I’m a fan since the 80s and have seen them twice, once around 2000 and again a couple of years ago. They are a national treasure for certain. I’d see them every year if I could.

Both times I saw them were at outdoor festivals. Would be awesome to see them in an intimate venue like the OP did!!

dan c

8. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working Thread Starter

I saw them in an unlikely location. It’s a new restaurant called The Venu which is in the western part of Boynton Beach, which is south of West Palm. I’ll be going there again when they have an act like Los Lobos playing. Felix Cavaliere’s Rascals inMarch, with Marshall Tucker and Jefferson Starship with dates in April. Los Lobos tour dates look like they are playing smaller concert halls and some clubs. These guys can still bring it.

9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great band. I've liked them since the early '80s.

Greg Gee and Guy Smiley like this.
  10. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

I saw them in Fresno (I think) many years ago in a smaller club, and they were amazing. One of the best live shows I've ever seen.

I may be wrong, but they always seem to have fresh material, instead of playing the same songs, gig after gig (I'm looking at YOU, ZZ Top).

Greg Gee, longdist01 and GerryO like this.
  11. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I saw them back in 1981 before their 1st. Album was out...I think their E.P. was out at the lonestar cafe in Union Square n.y.c....they were amazing!!switching instruments mod-set!!!great band!!!

Greg Gee and longdist01 like this.
  12. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

In a better world these guys would have been superstars. Regrettably I never saw them live.

Greg Gee, Fullbug, Geee! and 5 others like this.
  13. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I think they are an American treasure!

Greg Gee, Fullbug, EProphet and 9 others like this.
  14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

David Hidalgo & Cesar Rojas. Talk about unrecognized greatness! These 2 guitar-slingers have fronted one of the best dual guitar bands in history for decades. They're especially fine guitarists and yet they're NEVER mentioned as such. Que Viva Los Lobos!!!;)

15. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I've seen 'em twice live - and they really delivered, both times. Great band, terrific musicians. If they ever come to a venue near you, go check them out.

Greg Gee, longdist01, Geee! and 3 others like this.
  16. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I never saw them in a restaurant, but I have seen them 3 times over the years. My first and least favorite time was a conventional show in a club. Then one time I saw them in a small local theater, where they played traditional music and were the band for a Mexican dance troupe. Another time was a free show at a park on the Hudson River in lower Manhattan, with the Statue of Liberty as a backdrop.

They are a national treasure for sure.

17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Simply put: America's best band!

I'm lucky enough to have seen them live many dozens of times in all kinds of settings (acoustic and electric, with/without guests) and venue sizes. I have three more shows coming up in April. Been a fan since `84 and the release of Will The Wolf Survive?

Their Fillmore shows (usually in December) each year are the things of legend, and fans come in from all over for them. Sadly, they shared the bill last year with X, so we didn't get the monster sets of previous years, but, as they had to do the first show without an ill David Hidalgo, we did get something of a unique set with Cesar Rosas handling the majority of vocals, supported by Louie Perez.

Despite having oodles of their own material, they regularly drop in covers by the likes of Neil Young, The Grateful Dead, The Who, The Rascals, Traffic, etc., and that is in addition to their covers of Spanish language songs.

18. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

They do a seriously mean Voodoo Chile too. Very Jimi.

They did a free in-store at Amoeba several years ago. The store was packed. They did just under an hour.

Peerless.

19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Both Rosas and Hidalgo have been part of the Experience Hendrix tours in past years.

I've seen them cover Are You Experienced?, Little Wing, Voodoo Chile and possibly others.

I've also seen them cover Cream, Marvin Gaye, The Beatles, Fats Domino, etc, etc.

Just the best!

20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

This is no surprise (although I’m glad you caught a great show).

Los Lobos has been the most underrated band in America for decades now. The critics remember every once in a while... but otherwise permanently under appreciated.

21. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Damn. I'm going to be in the Boynton Beach area in a few weeks. I've seen Los Lobos 9 (nine) times but they almost always put on a great show, especially in a smaller venue.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I saw them back in ‘84 about the time the 1st album came out in a college cafeteria on mid-week afternoon. There were maybe 10 people there. I have a pic of it somewhere.

I’ve seen them many times since then in a variety of different sized venues ranging from a few hundred to 5000+ (incl the N.Orleans Jazzfest - and then I sat across the aisle from Cesar on the flight home from N.O.).

longdist01 likes this.
  23. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

WOW! Must’ve been a treat.

I saw them most last summer in a small hall in Milwaukee. It was set up cabaret style, so there were tables but also aspace in front of the stage for people to stand and dance. Sadly, the place was not completely full, but I’d guess there were still 500-600 people there? Hard to say.

Also, unfortunately, the sound in that place (Turner Hall) was dreadful. So that dampened my enthusiasm. They brought some young lady on to sing with them on one song. Never did figure out what song it was, and she basically wasn’t audible.

But I have seen Lobos many times over the years. When they are on, they are one of the best damned bands on the planet. When they aren’t into it and Hildalgo and Rosas are phoning it in, you can tell but even then a cut above most. Conrad (the bassist) and Enrique (the current drummer) seem to always be having be fun though. Even on an “off” night they are still worth seeing,

Hope the sound was good, and the band was enjoying it too! They deserve to be playing bigger venues, but getting to see them in a small venue is cool.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    longdist01 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  24. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Just to add to everyone else’s praise here: If you’ve never seen them, you really should!

Also, while many of their albums are great, at the very least everyone should have a copy of Kiko in their record collection. One of the best from the 90s and, really, just an all-time great. Period. A magical album.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Interesting. I saw them a few summers ago and they played without an ill Cesar Rojas. They warmed up Tedeschi Trucks and David Hildago played a number of songs with TTB. Members from both bands actually joined the other band during their set now that I think about it. Hildago and Trucks did some very cool Dicky/Duane and Eric/Duane stuff.

Greg Gee, longdist01, ARK and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.