Loss Leaders from Warner Brothers/Reprise: An album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Seederman, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Peter Mork

Peter Mork Forum Resident

Well, go figure then.
    Possibilities: If my station had asked for them, we might have got them. But we never did.
    Maybe someone at your station was sending away for them, being cheap so worth the two bucks.

2. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

I have put the majority of my record collection up for auction through

www.omegaauctions.co.uk

Most of the Straight titles will be appearing in the February sales with more to follow in subsequent auctions.

3. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Carlin was pretty good when talking about Brian Wilson on the Brian Wilson: Songwriter DVDs.

4. Mr David

Mr David Forum Resident

Zephyr had Two Warner Bros LP's and wern't included , should have been , they could have used the exposure and were a Really Good Band .

Juggsnelson likes this.
  5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Burbank had a cut by Zephyr.

6. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

I have since bought most of the rest of the series. I. know you are all thrilled...

Juggsnelson, Buddybud and Hep Alien like this.
  7. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

There were none. in the WBCN library (which had ~45,000 LPs).

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  8. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

All those great players -- wasted on a mediocre album

9. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Replying to my own reply from 7 years ago (Has it really been that long ago that this great thread appeared?), years after I traded off Different Strokes, I found another copy of it in a flea market, and remembered how, despite its staggering variety, the whole album had a certain atmosphere that flashed me back to a very good time and place. Darn if I didn't rebuy the thing.

Buddybud and JamieC like this.
  10. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Late to comment but a tip of the Warner Bros. shield for your collecting prowess. The LL was an idea that kept up for a decade while WB/Reprise remained the industry leader.

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If the Denny Brooks I just found on Facebook is the same guy who made that album for Warners (I think so), he was from a folk group called the Back Porch Majority, later sang backup with John Denver and died in 2018.

Folknik likes this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Just found yet another sampler from 1971, leading off with the Beach Boys "Surf's Up." I have no idea what the title means or why they pressed this one, although judging from the mention of Tower Records on the cover I guess it was intended for in-store play, like the Display Case sets.

KYA 1260 Great Ripoff Album (1971, Vinyl)

Buddybud, superstar19 and Juggsnelson like this.
  13. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Oh, I have that one. KYA was a San Francisco Top 40 station that went a little freeform in the late 60s (Tom Donahue got his start there, I think?) and this KYA-branded LP was sold in Tower Records (also a Bay Area company then) as a promo item. It’s a goodie!

The Radio Historian

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    Buddybud, pbuzby and Juggsnelson like this.
  14. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

My buds and I loved the Commander Cody "Lost in the Ozone" LP... and a live album, which, IIRC, had a great version of "Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette," back in the day.

Energetic Country-Western Rock (different from "Country Rock").

15. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Ripoff implying that you got something for nothing,a well-used phrase in those times,implying a freebie(maybe with a purchase at Tower). Numerically,PRO 508 was Display Case 2,1971, PRO509 was Great Ripoff,also 1971,then PRO512,Whole Burbank Catalog,a 1972 LL(info from bsnpubs.com). A decent snapshot of Warner/Reprise in '71. While not a LL,the regional aspect gives it additional collectability. Folks owning this one got a goodie.

16. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

As a side note, any interested in listening to late 60s/early 70s KYA should check out this link. Loads of unscoped air checks in great quality. Music, ads, news, contests. Hear their poorly edited 3 minute Hey Jude! But seriously, it’s really a lot of fun.

Internet Archive Search: Kya

17. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

bump

BrentB likes this.
  18. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I have been going through mine to check them out. I have 32 of he 35. Missing October 10, 1969, Peaches 2, and 58 Musicians. 6 of them I have doubles of so I will compare and keep the best. Thing is they are all pretty much NM. I need to get motivated to get the rest I need. I am listening in order and now on Schlagers!.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  19. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

How a fourteen year old discovered Alan Toussaint, Jerry Garcia (The Wheel), ‘Tull, Little Feat and Bonnie Raitt = the amazing Warner “ loss leaders.”

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Hot Platters was one of the first ones I ever heard. Still one of the best. The drawback of that set, is that while it is chock full of true A-List artists, it's got much shorter LP sides than other later volumes where they pack the music tighter and fuller.

21. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I believe the UK label Esoteric released the Byzantium lp recently

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I still haven't seen a copy of October 10, 1969.

Buddybud likes this.
  23. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Same here. I have seen the others over the years, but too beat up to want to buy. Every now and then I will encounter a store that has a selection of loss leaders and flip through them in hopes to find the ones I am missing. It seems the common ones I see are Record Show, Big Ball, Burbank, Hot Platters, and Days Of Wine And Vinyl.

24. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I've only ever seen exactly one, and it was the last one I needed to complete my collection. Hope you land one some day!

Buddybud likes this.
  25. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Well my efforts (and memory) finally paid off! I just received a NM inside and out copy(October 10, 1969) today from eBay. Not so much as a dust speck on this thing. Listening now and it sounds fantastic!

Buddybud, psubliminal and Paul Gase like this.