Lossless Compression with EAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cafe Jeff, Mar 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member Thread Starter

Hi,
    Is there a lossless compression system that works with EAC?
    Still haven't got my EAC back working, but will be reinstalling everything this weekend.
    Also, how have people found PCs for serving up wave files from their digital outs? Jeff

2. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Monkey's Audio is hands down the best lossless compression scheme. Some might argue for mkw and it's fine but go for ape if you haven't tried it out yet. Monkeys Audio

I haven't used from within EAC...only as a standalone but it compresses wavs to a nice size and there's playback capability with WinAmp.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Same here. I don't bother with integration into EAC. Besides, there's less control there on my part.

Monkey's Audio is really great, and will do SHN (Shorten) stuff as well as a plugin within the program.

The Monkey is in!

4. Cafe Jeff

Hi,
    Thanks for the tip.
    I will take a look at Monkey's Audio. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the efficiency of Meridian's Lossless Compression, which I understand, unlike Monkey's, is not free to use. Jeff

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

6. Cafe Jeff

http://www.firstpr.com.au/audiocomp/lossless/

Is certainly an excellent site. I understand that with rebates and so on 120GB drives can be had at for less than US$150. One of the interesting thing about the lossless codecs is it should silence the legions of mp3 haters, although I am sure the golden eared will still be able to hear jitter created as a result of decompression. Nevertheless, lossless compression does seem the way to go for hard disk based storage systems where capacity is an issue.
    Thanks. Jeff

7. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.