‘Lost In Space’ series reboot in the works

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Not sure what the expectations for the show were. In terms of raw numbers, the first-three-days viewership of Lost in Space was a little more than 1/3 that of Stranger Things and slightly more than half that of Bright (though that was a standalone feature).

In any event, it was good enough to get renewed.

Netflix's Lost in Space ratings are apparently revealed

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Revealed by whom? The article quotes Nielsen figures, but Nielsen does not have access to Netflix' stats and the article didn't say that Netflix had released them (which would be unprecedented).

In the past, third parties had used 'proxy' methods to estimate Neflix ratings, but they are only very rough guesses at best and they don't know how Netflix parses those figures (because their business model is radically different to traditional networks). So, I'd take the figures with a pinch of salt.

3. NettleBed

Nielsen ratings are worth much more than a pinch of salt.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, you buried the lede:

According to Nielsen, the sci-fi reboot drew 6.3 million US viewers within those first three days. The figures also suggest that viewers on average watched the show for 2.5 hours and that the series was heavily binged, as almost 1.2 million people watched the series' final episode during this period too.

I think 6.3 million viewers is pretty good ratings for damn near anything these days. For 6 million people, I believe that would be roughly a 5.0 Nielsen rating, which is very good for ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. By comparison, there's a ton of small shows that regularly get renewed that only have about a 1.5 rating (like Supernatural, which has been on for an incredibly long time).

5. Deesky

Not at all when it comes to privately help data on streaming networks. Nielsen is scrambling to remain relevant in today's streaming landscape.

6. NettleBed

It's best to compare Netflix with Netflix (or with Amazon or Hulu). Those other shows aren't dumping their entire seasons at once. Anyway, like I said - Lost in Space did not do nearly as well as the two other titles mentioned, but it did do well enough to get a second season. So, it's got that going for it.

7. NettleBed

Nielsen ratings are excellent estimates of what is happening Netflix. Netflix itself - of course - will say that it's not but then they refuse to back their claims up with the actual data.

Nielsen ratings are the industry standard for television, and there is no reason to believe that their ratings for Neflix are any less reliable than the ratings for other programming.

And, in any event, the numbers quoted were were for Nielsen estimates for Netflix shows, so it's an apples to apples comparison. Does anybody really want to make the case that Stranger Things - a huge hit that yielded a very anticipated second season - *wasn't* 2.5 - 3x more popular than Lost in Space? Seems pretty reasonable on its face to me.

8. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

The acting from the characters of Judy, Will, and especially John are stiff and off putting. The script is nonsensical quite a bit. Also, how after just an hour talking to Dr. Smith does anyone not see through her BS? The best character by far is Robot. I bailed after episode 6. Just decided to read the rest of the episode synopsis on the wiki.

SandAndGlass and Solaris like this.
  9. Deesky

No, they are not. Nielsen has no idea what Netflix's ratings are. In fact, the 'ratings' measure at Netflix is completely different to anything Nielsen has ever measured in the past for traditional networks. What do they measure exactly when Netflix has a permanent library of shows that anyone can access at any time anywhere in the world? Do the numbers matter for same day binge watching, over a week, over a month or years? They have no idea what Netflix finds valuable or how they decide what to renew and what to drop. It's purely an internal Netflix measure.

Of course! Why should they bother 'backing' anything up at all? It's no one's business but their own, which is why Nielsen has no insight in this space.

They were the industry standard for what are now considered legacy, ad based TV outlets. But, now there is every reason to believe that their ratings for OTT streamers like Netflix are unreliable.

One can make the case that ST was more popular than LiS without knowing the specific numbers and metrics that Netflix uses solely based on pop culture/social media buzz (just look at the respective threads in this forum). However, quantifying exact numbers or even which numbers matter with on-demand streaming, is entirely a different matter and not know by Nielsen.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  10. Nielson exists primarily so that network TV stations and advertisers can come up with / agree to advertising rates. They just aren't relevant to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. IMO.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. NettleBed

[

Even if you want to erroneously assume that they don't have a good idea, the ratings that I quoted were between Netflix shows, using the same methodology. So even if the actual numbers are significantly off, it's much harder to make the case that the proportions of viewership between Stranger Things, Bright, and Lost in Space reported also significantly off. In fact, to anyone who follows these things, they would seem pretty right.

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I'm kind of new to this Netflix TV series thing. Do most of their shows release the entire season at once like Lost In Space or do they space them out once a week like regular TV shows? Not a big fan of binging TV shows and we've been watching an episode a week like a regular show. The problem with that is trying to avoid spoilers. What do most people prefer?

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks...

14. Michael

with Lost In Space they put all 10 episodes up at once...IIRC most of their others as well...

15. Michael

and hopefully they will think ahead and have a proper ending just in case. : )

NettleBed likes this.
  16. Deesky

They release the entire season all at once.
    I vastly prefer the binge model. The weekly release model is now excruciating, especially for heavily serialized shows (which most tend to be these days).

In fact, there are weekly release shows that I collect until the season is over so that I can binge watch them. It's like buying a season DVD and watching as many eps as you want.

SandAndGlass and robertawillisjr like this.
  17. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Season 2 now available.

Michael likes this.
  18. Michael

where?

19. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Netflix

Michael likes this.
  20. Michael

been waiting for the second season...thanks for the reminder!

21. Second season improves on the first. Interesting intrigue but as I’ve stated a would stay a million miles from the Robinson’s they attract trouble.

22. Michael

really excited or S2 of LIS!

23. We watched the first five episodes of season two. Really good. Well written acted and directed.

24. Deesky

I've seen 8 so far. For the first few eps, it felt a lot like S1 - one damn thing after another, move on, rinse and repeat. However, it did improve from about ep 4.

Mina Sundwall as Penny Robinson is the best character. She just eats the camera and has been given an expanded role in S2 (rightly). The Judy R character is still a bit weak, despite the heroics she's tasked with, though a few isolated good scenes.

Will R is pretty good with some nice acting chops. Don W is played too much as a buffoon character which is at odds when he plays serious, heroic - he can act and shouldn't have to play dumb comic relief so much.

As in S1, I find the robot thread to still be a weak link. They should just have had a 'normal' Earth designed robot and the drama revolve around the characters with differing motivations mixed in with alien encounters.

Anyway, it's not too bad overall (so far), it looks great, with Sundwall being the highlight for me.

25. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Not only is Mina Sundwall's acting great, she looks exactly like Molly Parker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.