‘Lost In Space’ series reboot in the works

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea, Voyage didn't age well for me too...

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Why are lasers and mechanical (is there another kind?) robots laughable today?

Michael likes this.
  3. Deesky

Seems filmmakers haven't learned much in over 50 years. Didn't George Clooney do exactly the same thing when he let go of the chord in Gravity?

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  4. Michael

they weren't laughable then and they aren't today...I liked the laser guns on LIS...and the Robot is still cool today!

5. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident

I sometimes hate the modern times...wish I was around when this show first came about...but I digress.

I had and still love the original series, as well as my mom which she always loved how Smith complained so much when asked to do work in the show. I still have the entire series on VHS, back when I used to be a member of Columbia House that were the distributor at the time and then it was $25 per tape.Took me 4-5 years to collect them all having them mail a new tape each month. Pretty expensive back then, but of course now that you can get the series on DVD, I pretty much resisted since I spent so much money and time getting the entire series on VHS. Still have them well stored currently.

The only thing I kinda hated about the original series was that they never got the Robinsons back to earth. They were kinda stuck like a Gilligan's Island setting on the final episode. IIRC, Mumy tried talking to Allen back in the 80's to do a closing episode of some sort but Allen refused. And of course after Williams passed in 1989, that pretty much ended any chance of such a conclusion.

I liked the 3rd season since the Jupiter had more fly time as compared to the first two seasons where they were always on the ground. Some of my favorites like 'Anti-Matter Man' and 'Target Earth' I still remember some of the lines on. Even though the show was pretty cheesy later, it was what it was for its time. My mom loved 'The Keeper, Parts 1 and 2' because of Micheal Rennie.

Lucidae likes this.
  6. Michael

for me there isn't an episode that I did not like...I can still remember the excitement my friends and I had when the show premiered...we were all hanging at the playground and my friend yells out! "it's 7:15 and Lost In Space I coming on in 15 minutes!!!"....you never saw a bunch of kids run home so fast! Whew! just made it before showtime...I was glued to the TV for an hour! and every week thereafter until the last show! Great, Great memories...

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I always say, even I thought it was a stupid show when I was 10 and the show was brand-new. But... I never missed an episode. I think there was a way for the show to be a little more serious and less dumb, and yet not turn into (say) Alien or Predator. But bear in mind the show started in 1965, and I think the campy nature was partly from being in a time slot opposite Batman on ABC, which at the time was a huge hit show.

Bill Mumy occasionally appears at sci-fi conventions as a guest, and he's said many times that his belief is that the Robinson family never made it back to Earth. Mumy's theory was that Will Robinson as an adult was angry and frustrated enough that he moved away from his family and lived alone on the same planet. He even wrote and performed a song about it:

I think his take is very sad and poignant, and while it's not in keeping with the lighthearted feel of the show, it's a valid opinion and could happen within the reality of the show.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Deesky

Yes, the robot is a beautiful piece of design. And as for flying saucers being laughable today, don't tell NASA because that's exactly what they're testing for the next big Mars lander mission. NASA's Inflatable Flying Saucer for Mars Landings.

9. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the aesthetics of the show, it's classic... but today you can't take much of it seriously.

10. Deesky

I don't think anyone here is taking it seriously or even at the time it first aired, except for some very good early episodes. But that's due to the increasingly silly plots, not because of the hardware, which was actually excellent (Jupiter II, Robot, Stasis tubes, laser guns, The Chariot).

11. Michael

as we go backwards Space travel will be a fantasy...LOL! Mars should have been landed years ago...

12. Michael

it was fantasy...

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The aesthetics are goofy. I still want to know where the third level of the Jupiter II came from. It was trotted out in a couple of episodes and then forgotten about. Same with the "Space Pod," a 2-man vehicle they could use to travel short distances from the Jupiter II, which mysteriously appeared late in the second season. They did a lot of shoot-from-the-hip logic in Lost in Space that was bafflingly silly.

14. Deesky

How? We still don't have the technology to do this safely. The quickest trip time is something like 6 months. The radiation exposure alone would be highly damaging if not fatal. Add to that the physiological and psychological problems associated with zero-g and by the time you get there, you'd be in pretty poor condition.

And once you do get there, then what? Do you plant a flag and jump back in and repeat the same journey doubling your exposure? Because the only other option is to wait 2 years for the next Earth/Mars favorable window of alignment. But how are you going to make it that long on Mars' deadly environment?

These are all huge challenges to a manned Mars mission, not to mention a likely required investment of a trillion dollars or more - so it ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Seems the only manned missions being discussed are one-way (suicide, IMO) missions like Mars to Stay or Mars One.

In my opinion, we first need a revolutionary step in space propulsion in order to radically cut down trip times. Then you need some kind of robotic self-assembly/construction so that the surface can be pre-prepared for human habitation. Then with regular (and speedy) resupply missions, you can build on that and hope you can find some way of making a buck out of it, probably through space tourism initially.

But yeah, there are very good reasons why we haven't managed it yet.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  15. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident

Send Douglas Quaid to Mars...im sure he will take care of the atmosphere there ;)

16. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I really wish they would release the complete series on Blu-ray, I reckon it would look fantastic.

17. Michael

I too would love a remaster of LIS...I'm glad I have the DVDs but seeing them pristine would be icing!

18. biggerdog

biggerdog Senior Member

Supposedly, one of Irwin Allen's favorite remarks was "Don't get logical with me."

19. biggerdog

biggerdog Senior Member

Supposedly, one of Irwin Allen's favorite remarks was "Don't get logical with me."

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

"Brain and brain, what is brain?!"

That's awesome that you got to meet Dr. Smith! He was one of the best things about that show. By the third season, everything revolved around him, Will and the Robot. The rest of the Robinsons just seemed lame. It definitely did have a different feel in its first season and there were some memorable episodes before the camp overpowered things. I particularly liked "The Keeper" with Michael Rennie, as well as the season one finale where Professor Robinson gets possessed by an alien presence, but the cheese factor kicked in pretty heavily after that.

It's hard to see how they can come up with a fresh angle for this one now. It was very much a product of its times and lord knows, the movie was not a successful update.

21. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Hollywood loves a remake....

If they keep the camp factor down it might work...

22. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I think the vehicle from series one could hold all of them. IT was on tracks, and the size of a mid sized car about.

"The Chariot" I think they called it.

Where was it stored...lol???

melstapler and Vidiot like this.
  23. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I recently did a study on this show. If they had treated it then like they do today, this would get an order for 13 episodes per season. With the FX budget they would probably air them in 6/7 episode chucks in the fall and spring, effectively starving fans. If you combed thru the series, you could come up with 24 really good episodes, 8 per season with the remaining 5 per taken up by the lessor quality episodes, some of which are not bad. Fans would be beating up the blogs for more episodes -- you'd probably have just as many episodes that ran originally spread over 6 seasons, and more time to devleop the characters/scripts. Based on this, it clear that the writing just ran out of steam.

24. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

IT became a Monster/weird guy/weird situation of the week basically.

A great fun show as a kid for sure!

There were just enough good ideas that it did not totally go off the deep end every episode, but a weird balance...!

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It (Munsters re-book "Mockingbird Lane") was turned into a one off TV special. And it wasn't bad at all, I thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.