Lost mind - bought a Shure V15 Type IV...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rebellovw, Mar 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident Thread Starter

I always wanted a V15 - even as a kid in the 70s. Anyhow - been mulling it over and pulled the trigger on a nicely packaged one. Splurged a little to get a nice original box and a decent looking stylus and body - almost bought a body for 100 bucks - but only 100 more for complete nice looking unit - what the heck.

Anyhow - wish me luck. I have 3 arms to try this on - target will be VPI 3D arm. Eventually I'll go Jico SAS.

Hopefully not a mistake:
    Shure V15 Type IV Cartridge With Original Box In Excellent Condition | eBay

Thanks,

[​IMG]

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Nice. I've been using V-15 III's since 1973. I've never owned a IV but I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Jico also makes great elliptical and hyper elliptical styli for the III but I'm not sure about the type IV.

Jimi Floyd, MCM_Fan and rebellovw like this.
  3. rebellovw

Yeah - the SAS is pretty expensive - I should likely get one now vs waiting too long.

MCM_Fan likes this.
  4. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

IV is considered the best of V15 by many.

clevice, cjc, MCM_Fan and 1 other person like this.
  5. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I hear no differences between my two V15 III's and V15 IV which are all equipped with a Jico SAS. Probably would hear some subtle differences if one was to use their oem styli.

sushimaster and rebellovw like this.
  6. ssmith3046

I bought a SAS several years ago, the boron one, and at first I really liked it. It brings out a lot of detail but after using it for several months I missed the fullness that the elliptical stylus brings. The Jico elliptical is about as close as you can get to the original Shure sound in my opinion. I finally settled on the hyper elliptical stylus because to my ears it's a nice blend of the SAS and elliptical.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  7. macster

macster Forum Resident

IMHO

I had the IV/SAS on a Classic 1 with Classic tonearm and it was killer. IMHO, it was the best sounding Shure that I've ever owned, I wish that I'd never sold it.

M~

Jimi Floyd, MCM_Fan and rebellovw like this.
  8. rebellovw

Thank you - I very much value your humble opinion. I recall reading somewhere that Harry was a fan of the Shure and that the 3D arm elevated it - anyhow - I have both arms to try out.

9. rebellovw

Awesome - I did some research and read many love the III and the IV. Based on my 70's teenager memory - I had to have the brush - it was probably the IV that I was seeing in those stereo catalogs.

10. rebellovw

Thanks - I'm very glad to know as the III was a candidate.

Folks I'm very much leaning towards the JICO SAS. I've always wanted the boron cantilever - which none of my current carts possess.

Here are my current favorite cartridges (what I have) - and in order:

1st Grade Ref Master
    2nd Denon DL103 - though I'm really loving this cart at the moment - it could be tied for #1.
    3rd DV 10x5 & Ortofon OM30 (tied)
    4th AT 440mla & Precept(AT) 220 (tied)

I'm wondering from the picture - if the stylus is the original (any way to tell?) - the cantilever looks straight and the tip looks good - for what the pictures are. I'll definitely try it out.

MCM_Fan likes this.
  11. rebellovw

Thanks that is great to know. I've gotta get this boron out of my blood first though.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  12. rebellovw

clevice and PhxJohn like this.
  13. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I've got a V15 VMR Type IV that came free with a turntable I bought off a friend. Honestly haven't spent enough time with it but I do recall that drums sound especially good.

Jimi Floyd and rebellovw like this.
  14. ssmith3046

I did too. They're great and they do bring a new sound to an old cartridge. I still have mine and use it every so often.

rebellovw likes this.
  15. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

Nice cart, I like it better than the type V even when that one had a stock stylus and a Jico.

I'm probably the only one in the world who did this, but I tried the Jico SAS and the standard elliptical, and I had an original stylus too, but I had Andy at Needle Clinic in WA (maybe he's in CA now?) put a boron cantilever with microridge diamond and it sounded much better and fuller to me than any Jico. But I know that goes against the consensus and his service cost more than a Jico, but worth it to me anyway.

16. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

Rebellovw, you did a good thing! My Shure V15/IVs with JICO SAS essentially removed any desire to upgrade...I have two of them, both with SAS, and a Pickering vintage. That's it for me. After living with costly MCs, the IV is fantastic value. Great clarity and bass depth.

17. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Actually, it would be either one or the other, V15 Type V-MR, or V15 Type IV. There was also the final version, V15 Type VxMR that changed the body dimensions to be compatible with the M97 series, and I think changed the motor too, moving away from the laminated core and with higher inductance. And I think production was fully moved to Mexico by that time (mid 90s).

Jimi Floyd and rebellovw like this.
  18. macster

macster Forum Resident

Try the SAS first, I have the Neo on my V15V and it sounds good to me. The HyperE was also good on my M97Xe, which was like this the stylii, stock>LPgear Vivid>Jico Hyper>Jico SAS>Jico Neo.

M~

19. macster

macster Forum Resident

BTW, the thread title should be changed to "Came to my senses and brought a Shure V15IV.

Just saying.

M~

20. rebellovw

Yep - lots of very nice positive and helpful comments - I thought for sure I was going to get negative - "why did you do that??" messages.

21. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

The JICO VN-35HE is the same as the VN-45HE minus the brush and a few dollars.

I feel the SAS adds some upper detail at the expense of some midrange fullness as ssmith3046 stated, which is what I like especially in Shure cartridges.

22. rebellovw

Cool - thanks!

Edit: Will the VN-35 work on a Type IV out of curiosity?

Curiosity got me - found out the IV can use IV and III stylus - cool (thanks @911s55)

Shure V15 Cartridges In A Nutshell

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    Wngnt90 and MCM_Fan like this.
  23. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I need to dig. I may have both the III and IV here, but both missing stylus.

24. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Forum Resident

I don't think I'm going to ever find a Shure V15 in my price range, and would be more likely to snag one if I found it on a yard sale turntable. But I do love the 3 Shures I have -- an M3D, an New Era M97 with a retipped .2x.7 elliptical, and, most recently acquired, an M95 with an OEM ED "High Track" stylus -- all great cartridges.

rebellovw and MCM_Fan like this.
  25. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I went through several cartridges back in the day before I got a V15 III. Loved it:cheers:

Bobsblkwax, MCM_Fan and rebellovw like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.