Lost: Season 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by grbl, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

I'm guessing she was there to spy on that guy rattling off the numbers. When they were "passed on" to Hurley, she was reassigned.

I was satisfied with the amount they chose to dish out over the show. Some of the more far-fetched theories (such us the existence of the rest of the world) were wiped out. Sometimes it's not what they prove, it's what's disproven.

Some threads here talk about the X-Files and I agree wholeheartedly that's my biggest concern with the show. I remember the specific incident - Mulder's on a plane with evidence, the things go haywire, and the evidence is suddenly gone - that made me go "are they ever going to prove a thing?" It went downhill from there to the point where I'd watch the first few minutes of an episode to decide if it was worth another hour of my life. And some of the resolutions were downright contradicting (Mulder's sister was whisked away by fairies?).

I've spoken to people who watched "Felicity" and "Alias" who say Abrams loses focus after a couple of years. I hope his partners are able to keep "Lost" on track before it collapses on its own mythology.

-Mark

2. Didn't the X-Files movie answer some of the big questions in the show? Didn't it explain that all of the weird stuff going on in the show was due to an infiltration of the US government by aliens (or something similar to that)?

I have never seen the X-Files TV show, but I saw the X-Files movie when it was out, and I remember that I enjoyed it . . .

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

JJ Abrams is not really very involved with Lost; he was brought in by the network to direct the pilot and contribute ideas in the first season, but the show is really run by a guy named Damon Lindelof. Abrams was working on MI3 during the second season.

4. Squealy

My memory of the X-Files is getting pretty shaky, but I think by the time of the movie most of what was going on with the aliens (the black oil etc.) in the preceding seasons was more or less explained, but then for some reason they went off in all these new directions (those supersoldier guys, for instance) instead of pursuing the original alien mythology to its conclusion. So by the end of the series none of it made any sense anymore.

5. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I enjoyed the X-Files movie, too. But I think everything in the the TV show after that was anti-climatic.

There really weren't many American TV programs that had a story arc over a number of seasons prior to X-Files so in that sense it was new to me. But if I would've known how it was going to wind up I probably wouldn't have watched it as regularly as I did. How they resolved the storyline of Mulder's sister was very unsatisfying after stringing us along for so many seasons. They really should've wrapped it up after 6 or 7 seasons instead of milking it the way they did.

To say much more would be a threadcrap in a Lost discussion thread.

6. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

The super soldiers didn't come until after Duchovny sort of left the show. The X-Files movie is what answered most of the questions. After that, unfortunately, there wasn't much of anything left to be answered in the series, hence the turn in the show - once Mulder was gone - to Super Soldiers and all sorts of other nonsense. Eventually they tried to tie it all together in a convoluted fashion by bringing back Billy Miles and Jeffrey Spender, but none of it made any sense anymore.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

...and Carlton Cuse of "Brisco County Jr." fame...okay, so I purposely did not mention "Nash Bridges" or "Martial Law". :)

Regards,

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Which originally aired in the time slot before "X-Files" when it premiered on Friday nights on Fox.

Getting back to LOST - there is the possibility that Jack, Kate, Sawyer, and Michael are involved in a plan to overtake/infiltrate/some other plan "The Others" (aka 'the hostiles'). The close-ups of the eye contact between the 4 of them could have many interpretations.

9. Dave D

Dave D Done!

So, finally saw the last episode. Without getting into it and ruffling feathers, what are we to make of the giant chicken-hawk screaming Hurley's name?

10. stereoptic

I haven't checked the lost-forum to see if anyone there has listened to the playback backwards to see if that's what they heard.

11. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I heard it forwards. It sounds like a woman screaming HURLEY! Sounded a tad processed too.

12. stereoptic

Cool! I heard the name "Elizabeth" whispered when our heoes were being poison darted.

13. Squealy

I totally missed the sound the bird made; all I saw was Hurley reacting to it. So I thought maybe the scene was just about Hurley's paranoia and anxiety as they got closer to the Others.

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I had the benefit of seeing it twice, so I was ready for it. I tried to find a soundclip, but no luck. It really sounds like a woman screaming his name.

15. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I listened to it a couple of times and thought it could be close but I think it is supposed to be Hurley's paranoia, especially given Sawyer's sarcastic answer.

16. GoldenBoy

I could not make out the bird calling Hurley's name at all.

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

this is too funny... me...the one guy that loves to hate Lost...hears it, and you Grape Apes don't! :laugh:

18. GoldenBoy

:laugh: C'est la vie.

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

from a Lost forum:

20. stereoptic

It was a Hurley Bird! :)

21. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Google Hurley Bird......you get pages and pages of stuff!

22. The last podcast of the season has a lot of enticing information from Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/podcasts/108849.html

Although, I read that previously Carlton Cuse had said that there would be 3 things resolved:
    1. Michael and Walt. It wasn't resolved. Not at all.
    2. What happens when the numbers aren't entered. I guess we sorta found out.
    3. Why the plane crashed. We only have the conjecture of a character as to why the plane crashed. No real answer.

So that's really only 1 out of 3 answered.

23. Dave D

Dave D Done!

And do we have any clue as to how Walt can "teleport"? No, not at all. Maybe in season 7!

24. Squealy

Well, Michael and Walt were reunited, and went off on their own. The situation of them being separated and Walt being held captive was resolved.

I believe we were supposed to accept the magnetism as the reason the plane crashed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.