Lost, Season 4 Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by CardinalFang, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Why did Kate and Jack (and later Ben) refer to Locke as Jeremy Bentham in a private conversation? Other than the writers playing mind games with us, that is. :) Even if Locke was using a false name, wouldn't Kate and Jack refer to him as 'Locke'?

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, that struck me as strange, too. That "let them die, they're just extras" mentality isn't typical of Lost.

Overall a good episode, with some questions answered and (as is typical) at least as many raised. Somehow I still don't buy the Sun in the conspirator role.

I wonder if we'll see Desmond/Penelope again (likely) or Kenny Rogers the pilot (not so sure).

I like that they gave Michael his redeeming "far better thing I do today" moment as the ship blew up, although with that weird voices/ghost(?) thing going on, it's not entirely clear if he is actually dead.

3. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

Yes, but why did you choose Locke? There's more to it than who is in the coffin. It's how they got there! :)

4. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

I'm going to assume that they are with everybody else... that a perimeter around the island was effected (like the Hydra island, the Looking Glass, etc).

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

there is a link to an article today on the lostpedia.com website that states that Jack is the only actor who knows how the series ends!

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

answers to this and many other questions will be addressed in Season 5 (and / or 6)! :)

7. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Very true about the story of how he got there. I wouldn't claim to know.

But it just seemed to us that Locke would absolutely positively never want to leave the island. Therefore, it absolutely positively had to be him for the most dramatic impact from a writers standpoint.

The truth is I'm not the "Lost" junkie that some others (others?!) are. I'm just a casual viewer who can barely remember what happened in last weeks episode, much less last years season finale. In some ways I think the show is something that hasn't been done before because of the integral use of flashbacks and flash forwards. And in other ways I think its the most overrated show on TV, a combination of Gilligan's Island/Fantasy Island/The Island of Doctor Moreau, all combined and re-imagined as a soap opera. None
    of the main characters are like-able people, IMO.

But it looks good on my HDTV tuner card.

8. cooper16

cooper16 Forum Resident

This show really pays off if you follow closely. Tying the end of last season's finale to this season's was brilliant, IMO. How may other shows would take an entire season to reveal the biggest cliffhanger of the previous season? I just feel sorry for the casual viewer who must be uttering a series of "WTF'S" every other scene. I still do that and I've seen every episode!

The prevailing theory last season was that Locke was in the coffin, but I didn't think he'd ever leave the island. Ben mentioned that once you move the island you aren't allowed back. Hmm.

As for the final scene, who else thinks Ben is considering taking the entire crew back in time to get back to the island?

9. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

If you're in this thread the day after the finale and don't expect to see spoilers,well, too bad!

Good question on Faraday's boat. Sucked in with the island to the other side? And who is Sun working with in the future, Ben and his mysterious piles of cash? I thought Widmore initially till that scene.

Another fantastic finale.

Season 1 - about to enter the hatch
    Season 2 - they dont push the numbers and the hatch blows up
    Season 3 - the big flash forward, and Chahlie dies
    Season 4 - the island moves, and the 6 are off the island but need to get back

10. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

That's what I'm thinking, and it would tie in with one of the theories about the "whispers" -- that they are time travelers, who can be heard but not seen, commenting on the action and even trying to advise the people who hear them. Lostpedia has some pretty stunning transcriptions of some of the whispering scenes which makes this theory credible.

11. guidedbyvoices

They said something about "did he come to see you last week", something like that, And I'd guess he came around to them all as Bentham. Why would they talk to each other and not say Locke? Because it's TV!

12. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I thought only a few people on the boat knew the boat was rigged to explode. Desmond was starting to hand out life jackets when he saw the helicopter approach but I don't remember him saying anything to anyone in the process, about the bomb going off.

Pat

13. guidedbyvoices

Desmond has to come back. Jack did say "dont let him find you" or something to that affect. But Desmond has had some key episodes the last few years, he may not be in every show, but his episodes have had a ton of heart. I assumed we were gonna get that reunion with Penny and Des at theend of the series. To do it now seems out of whack, there must be more to their story, esp since Penny's dad is pretty crucial in the scheme of things.

14. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I can buy the perimeter theory. I know that the raft that size could not outrun a helicopter. :laugh:

A boat like that with maybe a 35 horse motor and loaded down with people would maybe have a top speed of 25 miles per hour. From the camera shots I would estimate it closer to 20mph. If we were generous, it could make 30mph in tvland.

They left the freighter less than a minute before the helicopter (again being generous, probably more like 20-some seconds) so they were at most 1/2 mile from the freighter but probably more likely an 1/8 to 1/4 mile, again being generous. The helicopter would have overtaken them before the island
    moved
    making the helicopter closer to the island than the dingy.

I know, making more out of it than I should. Suspend belief and all, the show normally is not that far off on purpose. So my question, what happened to them since they should have been behind the helicopter.
    :D

15. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

That's all well and good, but how come Jack and the others didn't see fit to warn them?

It's like all they cared about was there own little group, everyone else on the boat was expendable. Didn't make any sense when I was watching, and it still doesn't.

16. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

do a google image search for jeremy bentham.

He really is in a box :D

17. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I remember watching Jin racing away from the bomb, through the below deck, up the ladder and out of the hatch unto the deck - and there was a sailor casually mopping.

18. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

How is he going to go back in time? I thought he wrecked the time machine when he threw all the metal objects into the chamber. :confused: I'm glad I taped the final episode for future viewing.

19. cooper16

cooper16 Forum Resident

From an earlier episode we know he ends up in the desert wearing the same clothing as when he was "moving the island". He asks the hotel clerk for the date and year, So it must still work, just maybe not as predictably as before. Or maybe he was randomly teleported there as a result of his actions?

20. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

But in that case he went forward in time. :shh:

21. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Agreed. Locke, what a great character name, John Locke, "Paradise Lost," etc., is the conscious and Greek chorus of the whole shebang.

22. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

The Dharma chamber and the ancient Wheel Ben used to move the island are two different devices - at least that's what I assumed.

23. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

That's how I saw it -- the chamber was for Dharma's "silly experiments" (as Ben termed them), moving bunnies 100 milliseconds in time. He had to destroy that chamber to get BEHIND and UNDER it, where the real power was. Maybe Dharma was trying to control and refine the raw power of the "frozen donkey wheel," but Ben knew that desperate times called for desperate measures.

24. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I thought that the chamber and the wheel were two different devices, as well.

I had the impression that Ben's sole purpose in creating the explosion in the chamber by loading it up with metal and turning on the power was to blast a hole in the back wall of the chamber to access the passageway which led to the lower level where the wheel was located. (The metal induced explosion reminded me of someone putting tin foil in a microwave and turning it on.)

25. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

I heard an "alien" theory before on this thread, as to the origins of the island.
    And now, we've got an "ancient wheel" that manipulates the island itself.
    All I've got to say is, I wonder if the writers have a clue as to where this is going? Some intriguing possibilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.