Lost!- The New Show: It Didn't Lose Me

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mark, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff Thread Starter

Being a huge "Alias" fan, I decided to check out this show. It's done by J.J. Abrams, who is the creative force behind "Alias." I thought it was pretty good. I counted two actors from Alias, as well. It will be interesting to see how they develop the story and character lines from week to week. It's been very heavily promoted, and has generally gotten very good reviews. I think I've found the "real Survivor!" Anybody else see it?

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

..we taped it, the Wife and I...gonna watch it later. We've been waiting for this one as much as Boston Legal...being cableless, the choices are limited...

3. RDK

RDK Active Member

A good friend works at ABC and has been raving about this one all summer (but then, that's her job! ;)). Looking forward to watching it later tonight...

4. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I believe most of that show was filmed right here on Oahu.

5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

not a bad opening episode....kept my family into it....though ABC blew it by not televising the entire 2 hour premier tonight.

6. Great show! Kept me on the edge of my couch for the full hour. I recognized actor Terry O'Quinn (bald guy sitting on the beach) who I think was in Alias (I don't watch the show much). He was a Chris Carter stalwart appearing in Millenium, X-Files the movie, and the short lived 1999 series, Harsh Realm.
    Was ABC ever scheduled to run the full 2 hours? I read a review on-line from someone in the U.K. who saw the 2 hour pilot in August and was raving about the show.

7. Michael

...we're hooked! Hope this one lasts!

8. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Great show! Very entertaining. I got a big kick out of Greg (Weiss) Grunberg's (uncredited?) cameo. J.J. Abrams is in top form here!

Gary

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

my wife and i are hooked.

that was one of the fastest TV hours ever.

renny

10. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

We enjoyed it too. I think they got the concept from another show called "Amazon" that was on a couple years ago (I think it was on TBS). The show was about a plane that crashed in the Amazon and it followed the journey of the survivors making their way through the jungle and interactiving with the native tribes. That show was excellent, but only lasted one season. I hope "Lost" is as well written as Amazon was.

11. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

So guys...where are they?
    I was so flustered when the show ended where it did. I kept thinking of a Twilight Zone episode where a plane goes through some turbulance then gets stucks in a time warp. Or they landed on an undisclosed island meant for Jurasic Park. So what the heck is so mysterious out there?
    A lost dinosaur? King Kong's nephew? An alien preditor? Out of all the new shows, it looks pretty promising. But I'm gonna be really upset if they find other lost passangers from a boat with a guy on it named Gilligan.

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I finally watched my Tivo'd episode last night, and enjoyed the H-E-double hockey sticks out of it. Depending on where it goes, there's all kinds of potential for it to still wind up terrible, but I am definitely intrigued by the first hour.

Regards,

13. JohnG

It seems to be a show where you have to suspend disbelief's on many levels.

It is fun so far for what it is. Once the creature (or whatever that noisy thing is) then we'll see how far we can go with this series.

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Well, just because the pay-off of "The Village" was a let-down doesn't mean the pay-off for "Lost" will be. And even if the pay-off turns out lame, it could still make for some good episodic television in the mean-time. Kind of like how X-Files continuity episodes were best during the early seasons before they tried to start letting the audience know what was actually happening. :)

Regards,

15. JohnG

Just a reminder:

Part 2 of the season pilot of "LOST" is on tonight at 8PM on ABC.

Supposedly this is the one to watch as character development goes
    into high gear.

Plus we get to gander some more at the very lovely Evangeline Lilly.
    wotta woman!:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Just saw a 2 hour episode up here on CTV (is this the first 2 rolled into 1?) It ended with the radio picking up the French distress signal....am i up to date?

Wow, I actually have another show to watch! (other than 24!). Very enjoyable!

17. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

I also just watched the repeat of the first 2 hours ... it was pretty good ... I'll invest a couple more hours before I decide ... but I will definitely tape the future episodes ... I had forgotten what a pain the commercials are ... I rarely watch shows "live" anymore ...

18. Mark

To once again thread crap my own thread.....I really did not like the second hour. I didn't think it had the punch, acting or writing of the first hour. But, I will keep watching it.

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

It did seem to drag a bit in the second half.....and it was loaded with commercial breaks up here!!!! Still, as far as TV shows go, not bad.

20. Mark

Dave: the commercials were loaded and weirdly timed down here, too. I remember at one point, I think in the first half hour, it came back from commercial breaks, ran for six minutes and then had more commercials. The usual way is commercial breaks about every 15 minutes for three to four minutes in an hour show. Strange.

21. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I just watched this last evening for the first time. A co-worker tipped me off that the first two hours would be repeated on Saturday, so I decided to check it out and play catch-up. Good stuff. I'm definately along for the ride.

The commercial scheduling was annoying, but understandable. ABC aired it originally in two hour-long slots. By airing it last night in one two-hour stretch, they were able to eliminate the end credits of the first hour, the promo for 'next week', the 'last week on LOST' segment that would run at the start of the second hour, and the opening credits for that second hour. Then they get to SELL it to advertisers. Imagine that - a hot show on ABC. Ratings indicate a top-ten performance for that first episode!

Evangeline Lilly looks to me a bit like Kate Beckinsale.

22. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I thought it was pretty good. Terry O'Quinn (The Stepfather) is always fun to watch. It will be interesting to see what they do with his character. Quite a nice ensemble cast actually.

23. Michael

...watched the first 2 episodes yesterday, saw a few things I missed...looking forward to a long run!

24. JohnG

I'm looking forward to this series being released on DVD eventually.

It's that good.

25. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I hope you're right....but I fear in this day and age of cheap to make reality shows, it might bite the dust.....too costly. But, then again, they stuck with Alias despite so so ratings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.