Lost: The Sixth and Final Season-"The End" (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mark, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

You're right about that.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What happened to cast. Did they get work after ?

3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Josh Holloway is currently in a CBS series called Intelligence. He appeared in Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Various cast members have kept busy in a number of roles. Check IMDB for a complete list of the actors' work.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411008/?ref_=nv_sr_2

alexpop likes this.
  4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Evangeline Lilly was in the last Hobbit movie.

Seems they have all stayed busy.....

5. alexpop

What about the doctor?

6. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

alexpop likes this.
  7. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Wasn't the guy who played the doctor in Wachowski Bros "Speed Racer"? Of course this movie was a box office dud.

alexpop likes this.
  8. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Basically everything Matthew Fox has done since Lost has either been a flop (Alex Cross) or barely even got released theatrically (Emporer). A shame because I think he deserves better roles.

alexpop likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And he's had some rough patches in his personal life, too -- several arrests, some substance abuse bouts, etc. The biggest surprise to me was that the Korean guy, Daniel Day Kim, bounced back and did extremely well in Hawaii 5-0. His joke was he figured 6-7 years of working and living in Hawaii would be over with, and then he gets another job on another show based in Hawaii!

The guy I always hoped would be super-successful was Terry O'Quinn, "John Locke." He was such a fantastic actor -- never screwed up, always remembered his lines, really gracious with everybody, funny and charming, and you believed him 100% of the time he was on screen. Whether he was pitiable, desperate, or menacing, I always found him compelling. Hands-down, the best actor on the show -- and they had quite a few good ones.

JimC and alexpop like this.
  10. alexpop

Season two. Lordy mama. :)

11. alexpop

Lost- Alter Ego.. Spin off show would have been great. Like in the end seasons where you had Josh Holloway playing a cop that is Lost' characters playing different roles. Same actors different concept .. Though linked somehow.

12. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

A bunch of the cast (along with show-runners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse) had a reunion panel at PaleyFest 2014 to celebrate the 10th anniversary of LOST (which premiered in September 2004). It got me thinking, and I posted this somewhere else, but I thought I'd re-enter this thread and put it up here too. Not looking to re-open old arguments (or, for some, old wounds) -- just my own thoughts. I haven't seen the show since the finale, but I've got an 11-year old who wants to see it, and we'll probably do that this summer. I'm looking forward to seeing the whole thing again -- the good, the bad and the ugly.
    --------

I still love LOST. There have been plenty of fine shows since it ended in 2010, but nothing has filled the mind-effing, conspiracy-spinning, theory-hatching void in my heart that LOST left behind. The show exploded all preconceptions of what a "network drama" could be -- and the ultimate proof of its success is how many failed imitators tried to do better, but couldn't. "The Event" and "Flash/Forward" are just the first two that pop into my head, but we are still living in LOST's wake, as shows like "Resurrection" and "Believe" boast highly serialized stories tinged (or drenched) with supernatural flourishes, and crazy mysteries at their core.

So far, LOST is the only one that actually got to tell its entire story. Was it perfect? No, of course not -- but fans who continue to complain about it are forgetting how improbable LOST's imperfect achievement really was. The crushing grind of cranking out 24 episodes a year of an hour-long show shot on location (and taking place all over the world) could never be sustained. The pilot was the most expensive in history, and they never lowered their production values after it was picked up. (Many pilots go for broke to get picked up, and then quickly convert to cheaper alternatives when they go to series.) LOST had a massive, multi-lingual cast, labyrinthine plots, and a full, live orchestra providing the music. Seriously, separate yourself from your emotional attachment to the show, and marvel at what a logistical miracle it was.

LOST was a groundbreaker in other ways, too. When ratings slipped and attention wandered in Season Three, showrunners Damon and Carlton did the unthinkable -- they negotiated the END of a still-successful, highly profitable show. If "Breaking Bad" had existed in a world without LOST, it would have been given a multi-year extension as soon as it became a phenomenon in Season Five, and who knows what would have happened -- but we can guess that it would have run out of artistic steam before it left the air. Any show that ends on its own terms (and not just to avoid cancellation) owes LOST a quiet "thank you."

LOST also brought shorter, more focused (and repeat-free) seasons to network TV. They're everywhere now, and we take them for granted, but it was considered radical in 2008. (Remember the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth over the February debuts?) In retrospect, I have significant issues with the execution of the shortened seasons (4-6), and unfortunately it's the pioneers that make most of the mistakes. But it still allowed the show-runners to tell their story and not have the show spin out of their control. Current shows like "Hannibal" have learned from LOST (and cable), and are making 13-episode seasons that feel perfect and complete.

Of course, you can't talk about LOST without addressing the smoke monster in the room -- Season Six and the finale. I still think the ending of the show was largely very successful; people who moan that "they were dead all along" or "they were in purgatory the whole time" are unfortunately completely misinterpreting the "Sideways" world of the final season. Yes, they were in a "heaven's waiting room" of sorts -- DURING the Sideways scenes only! -- but we were meant (I think) to study WHO they were during the Sideways scenes. They weren't just filler or killing time (as some have said) -- they provided clues as to who the Island survivors were (and how they thought of themselves) before they eventually died.

Sawyer may be the best example. A tortured con-man (and misguided murderer) in pre-Island life, he was a positive force in society in the Sideways -- a cop, still bothered by the Anthony Cooper mystery, but not consumed by it. Was this just a clever fake-out by the writers? I don't think so -- I think it reveals that Sawyer's time in the 1970s with DHARMA wasn't just a weird diversion. It changed him, made him a better person -- more at peace with himself and the world. I think all the Sideways stories are filled with hints of the characters' post-Island lives -- and for those who didn't survive the Island, their regrets. (Jack wishing he had listened to Locke springs to mind.)

As for the series finale, I think it was as good as it could have possibly been. Yes, the mythology had grown a bit out of control (although NOTHING like what "The X-Files" became), and yeah, there were unanswered questions (not as many as people think, though) -- but I still found it emotionally extremely satisfying, and that's what Damon and Carlton had decided to go all-in for. I still pine for resolution to the outrigger question, but other than that, most of my "missing answers" ended up not mattering so much. The catharsis of all the reunions at the end were plenty powerful for me, and the final shot of Jack dying with Vincent by his side was simultaneously heart-breaking and satisfying.

I could go on and on (and on and on) ... and I can't say that about too many television shows.

13. alexpop

Lost - The Movie ?

14. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Awesome post and I agree with most of your thoughts.

I'm thinking of picking up the series on blu-ray and re-watching it for the 10th anniversary. It'll be a new experience, because the first three seasons I watched on my tiny laptop screen, then the last three seasons I watched on a crappy little tube TV over the air.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I agree: Sean, excellent post.

Bryan, I have watched all seasons of LOST on Blu-ray at least twice each, it's a pleasure.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  16. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I would like to rewatch, but I just can't commit to another series right now. When I watched the first time I saw quite a few episodes on streaming while traveling, and the PQ was terrible.

17. Sean Murdock

I watched the entire run on a crappy tube TV, and I very much look forward to seeing it on a big LED flatscreen this summer. I bought all the DVDs when they came out, but if the Netflix stream is better than the DVD, I'll watch that. (Can't afford to re-purchase on Bluray.)

18. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Did you see that Damon Lindelof claims they wrote a scene resolving this, but "what’s much cooler is to not answer the question"? He says they might auction it off for charity. I'm not sure I believe him.

19. Squealy

It's funny looking back at something like LOST that you got really involved in, and it all seems like a dream now. I read old posts I wrote about the show and think "What the hell am I talking about?"

I'm not sure I would watch the series again. I find shows with a high "what's going to happen next?!" factor lose some of their mojo when you know what's going to happen next, though there would be other things to enjoy about it. I've thought the same when I've gone back and looked at old episodes of Breaking Bad. I need to wait until I've completely forgotten it, instead of half forgotten it.

JimC likes this.
  20. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

That was one of my few legitimate "unanswered mystery" gripes. It didn't have much of an impact on the overall story arc, but it seemed silly to leave that one hanging.

21. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Great write up Sean. I still think Season 1 of LOST is tv drama at it's best...

JimC and Sean Murdock like this.
  22. Sean Murdock

Yeah, I saw that, and I disagree with him. I'm fine with a lot of the so-called "unanswered questions" but that was a significant piece of material evidence from Season Five, and we should have gotten the answer to that one. Back during Season Six, they said they had a scene to resolve the outrigger chase, but it got cut for time. Well, if they hadn't (arguably) wasted several episodes at the Temple -- one of the best examples of "beware of answers for the sake of answers" -- they could have included it.

Old Mac, JimC and alexpop like this.
  23. Sean Murdock

Season One is special, no doubt about it -- like the first season of The Sopranos, almost a perfect work of art, and set an impossibly high standard for the rest of the series. I have a real soft spot for Season Three too -- despite the "cages" episodes, and despite Nikki and Paolo, and despite Jack and his damned tattoos in Thailand. I actually thought there was some great Kate and Sawyer drama in those cages, but even if you forget those first eight episodes, the rest of that season was blazingly good. From "Flashes Before Your Eyes" to "Tricia Tanaka Is Dead" to "The Man From Tallahassee" to "The Brig" -- all building up to Charlie's incredible swan-song and the most incredible mind-f**king cliffhanging twist I've ever seen on TV.

Encuentro and JimC like this.
  24. Squealy

To me, it sounds, then and now, like they're avoiding the question because they never thought of an explanation, but I think you're more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt than I am.

Vidiot likes this.
  25. Sean Murdock

Perhaps. I am sure there are some things they just never tackled, and I'm perfectly willing to admit that they dodged some stuff throughout the show ... but I don't think the outrigger chase was one of those things. I mean, they WROTE a scene where our heroes are in a boat, being shot at, during a time-travel flash, and they didn't know who was shooting at them? I can't believe they wouldn't have known WHO and WHEN, even if not WHY. They probably decided it didn't matter to the endgame, and didn't figure it would be such a sore spot. (Although they WERE doing a weekly podcast and the subject came up in fan letters more than once, so they should have...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.