Lost: The Sixth and Final Season-"The End" (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mark, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Not to pile on, but I feel like the cabin was the other big unresolved mystery. I seem to remember there being a few hints and pieces tossed out there, but never really a full explanation that we could puzzle together in a satisfactory way.

jdrueke, PhantomStranger and JimC like this.
  2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, it was clear from the whole history of the show that they wrote a lot of crazy stuff for effect and then said "we'll figure that out later." But that outrigger scene came later on when it seemed like they had more of a plan. (Didn't it? I hardly remember what was happening around it now.)

3. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Cabin

4. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yes, exactly -- it's one thing to throw an unseen monster and a polar bear into the pilot, but once you're in your next-to-last season -- and have been plotting the ending for over a year -- I doubt they were throwing in "we'll figure it out later" details. In fact, I'm pretty sure they maintained all along (in the LOST podcast) that they knew who was shooting at them, and that it was important, and that it would be revealed. They were cagey about a lot of stuff, but they flat-out promised an answer to the outrigger chase, and never delivered. That's why that one stings so bad.

Vidiot and JimC like this.
  5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Right, that basically just summarizes the bits and pieces from the show. It doesn't explain how the cabin moved around or if it was meant to keep the MIB in or out or how/why it ultimately became to be used for that purpose.

6. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I thought the whole issue with the outrigger chase was that it was impractical to reassemble the actors for the sake of resolving a relatively minor plot point. Three of the characters being attacked had been killed off by the start of season 6.

7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Almost four years after the show ended, and we're still debating these issues.

ABC really should commission a sequel series. Limit the episode count and go in with a clear outline, and it might be worthwhile.

Vidiot likes this.
  8. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I love Lost. Love it. I know unanswered questions are frustrating the end was frustrating to many, but there is so much good (and great) about Lost, that I don't care. It was an exciting, fun ride. I need to watch it again soon. :)

progrocker71, Lonson, tcj and 2 others like this.
  9. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

They've given more than one reason, and that was one of them. They also said that they started writing the script that included the resolution of the outrigger chase, and it felt like the script was serving that particular "question" and not the show or the characters. A cop out? I don't know -- maybe I'm too lenient, but I tend to take them at their word when they talk about their creative process.

Interestingly, it's been implied on Lostpedia (which I didn't know until today), that the other group in the outrigger chase was a crew from the original Black Rock, separated from their ship and caught in a time loop.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Outrigger_chase

Other theories on the identities of the passengers of the other outrigger/boat include Ilana and her crew, the Others, Claire and (interestingly) THEMSELVES, from a different time loop. In the end, I suppose it doesn't matter.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Outrigger_chase/Theories

For what it's worth, although it's frustrating that Damon and Carlton don't just give out easily-given answers to stuff like this, I have to respect their refusal to do so. They have always been fairly adamant that they wanted the show to stand on its own -- that it wouldn't be fair to viewers who just watched the show (or the DVDs) if they doled out "canon" information in multiple non-canon places (like interviews, Twitter, PaleyFest panels, etc.). The LOST podcasts were "official" but even there they used them to clarify things, but not to give out answers that they weren't planning to give on the show.

I'd still like to know who was shooting at them, though...

10. JimC

JimC Senior Member

:agree: My favorite show.

Lonson likes this.
  11. jack static

jack static Forum Resident

I forget if it was the Season 6 set or the Complete Collection, but one of the last sets did include an excerpt from the Black Rock logs (or a diary of a passenger or something) that directly explains the outrigger scene, and I assume we're supposed to take it as canon (though maybe Damon forgot about it..?).

If so, they probably planned on working it into Richard's flashback episode, but that already ran long, and it would been pretty hard to shoehorn that revelation into another episode.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My feeling is that the Cabin was being used by The Man in Black, and he deliberately threw a lot of misdirection in there to confuse the Dharma people into thinking he was Jacob. What I'm confused about is that if Jacob had so many powers, and if Jacob was the force that was stopping Blackie from escaping from The Island, why did Jacob allow The Man in Black (and The Smoke Monster) to do so many horrible things? Questions like that have never been answered, either.

I wish I could've gone. I would've loved to have said, "Hey, Damon and Carlton. Did you ever see Breaking Bad? Wasn't it great how the writers and producers of that show managed to take a very complicated, long story arc with dozens and dozens of characters and answer all the questions and provide a satisfying dramatic ending to the series? Shows like that are great... I wish there were more of them. Do you agree?" :sigh:

alexpop likes this.
  13. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Yes but in all fairness, over the course of the show, there were probably literally a few thousand things, that were partially explained, barely explained, did not need explained, or simply were not easy to explain.

I think it was such a huge undertaking, that logistically it was a nightmare. If we can all list off a few dozen things, imagine EVERY fan of the show...literally millions of people, listing off hundreds of things.

They had to pick out what truly mattered to them, and partially to the viewers.

I found enough answered to keep me happy, but also enough not spoonfed to me to make me feel that I could watch it all over again in a few years, and still feel like it was not explained so much that there is no point in watching it.

Once a mystery is totally explained, it no longer has the allure of "being a mystery"

14. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Maybe in a few years, we can all see it in "Glorious" 8K resolution....and all the mysteries will be visible to the naked eye...(( huge sarcasm!))

15. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Next up...the creators of Lost reconcile a benevolent God and the existence of evil in the world.:D

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

All hail the Lost Bible!

JimC likes this.
  17. progrocker71

Yeah, because Breaking Bad was a supernatural show that took place on an island where the laws of reality and physics don't apply, Walter White was just like Jacob, on the island for thousands of years cooking crystal meth and making rugs when not fighting off his evil twin brother. Breaking Bad was a dramatic show that takes place 100% in our reality, LOST was not and thus a much different animal to wrap up.

I think there are a lot of LOST fans just like myself (people that actually have this ability called IMAGINATION) that think the show was PRETTY F***IN' GREAT the way it was and are still kind of flabbergasted by the people that just didn't quite get it.

That's okay, there's plenty of procedural shows available on CBS for people without imagination, maybe they should stick to watching those.

JimC, Lonson, Encuentro and 2 others like this.
  18. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Carlton seems is doing a much better job with Bates Motel, but then that series has a smaller cast and takes place in Oregon.

I think Lost was the tipping point between the old style of long seasons and perpetual renewal until the audience vanishes, and the modern style of get in with a plan and get out when the story is done.

Vidiot likes this.
  19. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Personally, I thought the show was pretty great. That doesn't mean there weren't some things about the last season that I find problematic. I think it is rather dismissive to say that people who have complaints about it lack imagination. It has it's flaws, but it took us on a wild, wonderful ride.

Do I think they lied when they said they had it all planned all along? Yes. Does that detract from my enjoyment of a great show? No. I'm looking forward to my 1st re-watch of the series.

JimC and Vidiot like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, believe me, I get it just fine. I just get that Lost was put together by writers who had no master plan, screwed up the last year of the show, and became overwhelmed by a story that was much too dense and complicated for them to handle. I saw the show from several sides, because I worked on the show's post for the first four seasons and I know some inside stories I can't tell.

The good news is: I think producers have learned from the lessons of Lost and The Sopranos, and are now resigned to try to tie up at least the majority of the unanswered questions to give a sense of closure and finality for viewers. My hope is that screw-ups like this won't happen again. Hey, even Heroes -- which was a show ten times more screwy than Lost -- is coming back and may answer all the cliffhangers they abandoned. In that sense, Lost created a major change in the TV business in that it's forced producers to come up with a real game-plan, rather than winging a long story arc and making things up as they go along.

Do a Google search on "Worst TV Series Endings" and tell me what all the lists have in common. :sigh:

21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

LOL, yes.

No kidding. There will be more and more.

JimC likes this.
  22. progrocker71

A lot of people with no imagination bitching incessantly. :laugh:

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think there's some pretty thoughtful comments there, and I'd bet that some of them had perfectly good imaginations. (I personally have more imagination than I know what to do with.) There's always a problem when somebody creates a show that doesn't live up to viewers' expectations, and I think the big flaw happens when the producers have no real endgame in mind from the very beginning.

I've said many times that I admired and enjoyed Lost from the first episode, and while I had quibbles with the show over the years, it's a testament to the quality of the core concept that we're still talking about it today. But that final season was just an F'in' train wreck. The Lost Encyclopedia (which I've mentioned before) does at least cover about 75% of the stuff they didn't explain in the show itself:

[​IMG]

This was released about five months after the show went off the air, basing it on writers notes and unused portions of scripts. After I read it, I thought, "wow... imagine if they had actually filmed this material and used that for the final season!" :sigh:

JimC likes this.
  24. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Again though, they had their vision and many may have not liked how it ended, but I think it's unfortunate so many dismiss the entire run because of the end.
    Few shows, were as captivating to me as Lost and there are so many great moments etc that it still works for me. I doubt there was ever a plan to have a decisive clear ending that tied up most elements of the show.

Lonson and JimC like this.
  25. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.