LOTR director Peter Jackson restores WWI footage for new documentary, "They Shall Not Grow Old."*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Matt W., Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

2. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Of all of the recent non-3D disc issues, none piss me off as much as this one. What a waste of those hundreds of hours of work.:realmad:

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you for sharing the article, today.

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

If only he'd finally restore his older films too :cry:

6. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

I'd love to show this to my American History class but there just aren't enough classroom hours to allow me that luxury.

Exotiki and longdist01 like this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I understand there's a shorter edit specifically intended for educational use

Exotiki, Rooster_Ties and longdist01 like this.
  8. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Just do a search for "don't thank me for my service" and print out/hand out/read one of the many veteran-authored articles that search will identify.

9. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Meet the Feebles?

longdist01 and polchik like this.
  10. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

Bad Taste and Braindead also. He keeps talking about the restoration but so far they're in a limbo like "The Abyss" and "True Lies".

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Why the strong feeling? I'm curious.

12. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I'm a big 3D fan, and have been buying UK imports of all of the Disney and Marvel films that haven't gotten a US release, but the 3D for this one isn't even coming out in the UK, it's country of origin, for God's sake. And I really want to see it.

longdist01 and SandAndGlass like this.
  13. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I am a high school history teacher. We give WWI its due in World History, but it is very short in American History. The US entered the war so late, that it pales in comparison to WWII for importance in this country.

Exotiki, longdist01 and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

We didn't really become a force on the front until 1918, the final year of the war.

The sheer numbers that fought in the military during WWII, greatly dwarfed those in WWI.

The civilian war time effort during WWII was also much larger as was the economic cost.

As a country, we were also more isolated due to the available technology at the time of WWI.

Radio, as a practical invention was not yet eastablished before the 1920's and we had no mass communication.

By WWII, radio, motion pictures and newsreels were in full swing and Americans were immersed in the war on a more real time bases.

Probably the most significant result of WWI was that it established the U.S. as a world power.

So much was not commonly known about WWI. It took a phenomenal by Peter Jackson, together with WEDA to bring the war from still photos and old newspaper clippings into a visually striking motion picture.

Probably the most visually effective movie since "All Quiet on the Western Front".

15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Still talking about the visual look and watching this amazing piece of history and cinema today.

pablo fanques and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Finally got to see this amazing work last night and it affected me deeply. Thank you for the post about the "making of " as that is why I sought out this thread. I know colorizing has it's detractors but as someone who has dabbled in it myself, I was pleased to see the results I'm getting aren't much different than the ones in the film. There's only so much you can do with a grey template but damn if Jackson doesn't make it work! I'm really looking forward to learning what went into creating this masterpiece

adm62, longdist01, Macman and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.