Lou Reed Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by the pope ondine, May 5, 2020.

1. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Oddly, I prefer to think of Vintage Violence as a companion album to Loaded. In some places there's a very similar country-ish rock feel to them.

Funny how the Velvets and John Cale solo were not far apart stylistically in 1970.

Putrifiers II likes this.
  2. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i guess it was 1972 , i was 16 or so and sitting in a car. a song came on the radio and i was enthralled. i had no idea who it was. i am pretty sure i had read about lou reed in the likes of CREEM by then but had not heard his music. well i refused to leave the car until the DJ revealed the songs in the set list. the song that blew me away? lisa says by lou reed of his self titled first album. i think this record gets better with age( like a lot of lou's work) and remains one of my favorites of his. never got those who thought it was a let down.one wouldn't know this yet , but throughout his career he would never ever make the same record twice.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  3. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

umm they are 8 lou reed songs that he wrote while in the VU.

JoeRockhead and tug_of_war like this.
  4. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

do you know any 13 years olds who bought it

JoeRockhead likes this.
  5. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

:help:

6. gazatthebop

Cale was still recording and mixing the avant-garde funky "Church of Anthrax" album in 1970. I don't hear much of that on Loaded

7. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes - I was questioning that exact number. The question go answered later, as I had missed Wild Child as being in a particular VU setlist during mid-70s.

8. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Not sure what you question is? MMM was not in your list.

MMM has a pretty good cover and the music is beyond liking or disliking. Mistrial is an pretty unimaginative cover and a poor album. In fact, all the covers involving his wife Silvia, I could pass on.

I could rate all the covers if anyone is interested...

9. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

I still love this album and it’s art-the lonely alienated NY bird and hippie Lou-using studio men-
    Some of the tracks were tinkered with he writes on his box “between thought and expression “ fine collection.

10. Greenblues

Greenblues Forum Resident

I guess the album suffers a lot from the obvious VU comparisons. Judged simply on it's own, there's nothing wrong with it. It's even a nearly great album. But compared to the VU versions many of the song performances seem a bit stiff and sessioneer-like. Also I don't especially like the typically "loose" late-sixties drumming style and sometimes noodling lead guitar work.

Nevertheless, I second the impression that the stripped-down no-nonsense instrumentation and presentation makes the album almost seem timeless; Like others here, I play it quite a lot. Especially after the "Dolby-Error" was detected, which was responsible for the muffled sound of the original LP. And to me, Wild Child is a neclected classic. I'd wished, Lou would've performed it live, which he sadly never did AFAIK.

11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

' tinkered with'

What do you mean? I do not have access to that collection

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  12. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Lou’s debut is not the debacle some critics would have you believe. The songs are strong and Reed’s singing is much like it was on LOADED, accessible.

Ride Into the Sun and Going Down are my favorites.

13. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

It’s a 3 CD set here is some info -I got it back then. Nice long box and book

Between Thought and Expression: The Lou Reed Anthology is a box set by Lou Reed. This 1992 release covers the first 20 years of his solo career, including the unreleased studio tracks "Downtown Dirt," an early version of "Leave Me Alone", Francis Scott Key's "America (Star Spangled Banner)" from the 1980 Growing Up in Public sessions and an edited excerpt from the Metal Machine Music album. Additionally there are previously unreleased live tracks: "Heroin" from 1976 featuring jazz trumpeter Don Cherry,[2]

14. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

I posted some info. Well worth having nice sound

mr.datsun likes this.
  15. gazatthebop

don't worry i'm not suggesting you spend your time watching 13 year old's buying records but i do think the Blue Mask cover would not inspire someone that age on limited funds to buy it

JoeRockhead likes this.
  16. gazatthebop

you said "there's no correlation between Reed's work and the cover art in terms of quality" i suggested Mistrial is an exception to that.

17. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

When you say 'tinkered with', do you mean they improved the sound on the tracks from Lou Reed s/t?

18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Meaning what? good-good or bad-bad?

I meant that you cannot judge a Lou Reed album by the artwork. There is no consistent correlation.

19. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

He comastered the album with Bob Ludwig

20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

But the implication of the earlier post was that something special was done with the tracks from Lou Reed s/t on the boxset. It comes from a much earlier date than when the whole catalogue was remastered, doesn't it? Maybe I misunderstood.

21. gazatthebop

Mistrial...bad bad
    unimaginative cover and a poor album as you said.
    MMM is the only Reed cover i think is good. And it's really good.

mr.datsun likes this.
  22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

No you are correct. They used some kind of Exciter effect if I remember right on the s/t tracks. Still doesn't sound very good. None of the remasters got the sound quite right for me

23. gazatthebop

There was no spotify in 1972, no radio station i listened to played it, my friends were into prog rock. Album covers were more important back then.

24. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

There is a 50 page book within that I recall Lou saying he was not happy with the original sound of that album and redid some balancing of bass I think. Will check later.
    It is a good sounding collection- sonic solutions was used but the 3 CDs sound good to my ears

25. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes. I agree. But there are other good covers. imo.

Lou Reed, Transformer, Rock n Roll Animal, Lou Reed Live, Rock n Roll Heart, Street Hassle, and then that's the end with the possible exception of a later album with writing on his face and some special blue packaging effect. Just my opinion on this.