Lou Reed Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by the pope ondine, May 5, 2020.

1. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Actually Lou was not enamoured with the sound -very bassy not the way it was supposed to sound. Not defined enough
    The album was not recorded in Dolby but when it was mastered it was Dolby decoded the net result was a thuddy bassy release minus the high frequencies- corrected here on these tracks -the results are palpable. Page 9 booklet

willwin, tug_of_war and mr.datsun like this.
  2. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Ok. I've got you. I just read it online. They explain the Dolby issue that i've heard about on this forum before. ie. that the original album was recorded without Dolby, but that they mastered it with Dolby reducing the high end and making the bass thuddy. So, if this is true I assume they did the 2015 master of the album correctly, too. But I've never noticed a significant improvement.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    tug_of_war likes this.
  3. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Let me know since I have my original LP and a German RCA CD ND89842

4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Me too. Plus the 2000 CD, and the 2015 remastering. And I've never noticed any great improvement or changes to this album. To be honest whilst I could hear what people's complaints were, it never bothered me.

5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

All I know is I heard the album in multiple formats and it never sounded good to me.
    Some people say the tracks on the Between Thought And Expression box set sound the best. I can't tell any real difference.
    Wherever Dolby was applied in the chain it seems the album was just not well recorded.
    Unless the multitracks are missing and all we'll ever heard is the album mix as done in 1971.

willwin and gjp163 like this.
  6. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident Thread Starter

agree although i'd put Rock n Roll heart in the weak cover pile, Coney Island is better, Take No Prisoners leaves an impression, Sally Can't Dance is pretty cool

7. the pope ondine

this. I think they spruced it up but whatever problem it has is embedded

mr.datsun and DTK like this.
  8. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

It says Lou Reed on the front cover. Surely that’s enough to purchase it.

9. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The 2015 Vlado Meller remaster issued as a hi-def download and included in the RCA/Arista Albums box is a little easier on the EQ smoothness front, but with brickwalled dynamics :(

The album itself sounds really dry but the Thought and Expression box set adds reverb to the mixes. I just checked "I Can't Stand It" on Tidal and you can really hear the extra 'verb tails on those opening drum hits. It has the effect of making Lou's voice sound more "produced" as opposed to bone-dry and right in your face

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    mr.datsun and DTK like this.
  10. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

i think you've overestimated how popular lou was in 1972 UK

JoeRockhead likes this.
  11. I like the debut a lot, however there's something a bit off about it and I really can't put my finger on it. The songs that work best are Wild Child, Ocean, Love makes you feel.

Does anyone know where the back cover photo was taken? Is it from a Velvets show? And that hand gesture he's making is so camp/theatrical

Greenblues and mr.datsun like this.
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It seems to be from a Velvets show in spring or summer 1970 (Max's).
    Ronn Campisi's photos of the band appeared in a number of publications that year:
    The Velvet Underground - Magazine Articles - English

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Heheh. But prisoners is so ugly! I can't bear looking at it. Coney is a bit too art-directed, but nonetheless inoffensive. Not sure what he was trying to pull off with that look, though. Sally? Well - that hand-drawn artwork makes lou look like a hunchback and a petulant grumpy one at that. At least rnr heart has that cool blue video art finish.

willwin likes this.
  14. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Funny, I've listened to Lou for a long time and have never acquired the debut. I guess I'll have to break down and get it sometime.

the pope ondine likes this.
  15. the pope ondine

heart doesn't really look like him, I guess that's my issue….prisoners has that cool bald guy and im a sucker for a good gatefold! r n' r animal is great as well

lay it on me

mr.datsun likes this.
  16. DTK likes this.
  17. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

A related question: does anyone know why Lou signed with RCA records? They never seemed the most visionary or artistically sympathetic of labels. In fact, RCA might be the last label that Lou should have been on, other than, IDK, Rounder or Dunhill or something. If I was a record exec at Warners or Electra at that time and heard 'Loaded' I'd be thinking 'we've got to sign this guy......'

18. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Good collection...but sadly missing some great tracks like ' Wild Child ' and , oddly , ' Perfect Day '

JoeRockhead and DTK like this.
  19. J Borland

J Borland Forum Resident

I bought it as a 14-year old... still have my original copy.

20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Richard Robinson was A&R man at RCA. And it was he and his wife Lisa, the rock journalist, who got Lou back into music.

Chris Bernhardt and mr.datsun like this.
  21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

RCA had Bowie and Hunky Dory had already come out (end of '71) by the time Lou Reed was released (mid '72).

22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I dig all the album covers except Mistrial and the stupid helmet thing on Legendary Hearts.

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes but Lou being signed to RCA had nothing to do with Bowie.

24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I know - different continent, different management. I'm just saying they were beginning to put out more modern material than just Elvis or Latin American acts.

DTK likes this.
  25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

A big Lou fan, I'm not keen on the first album. Sounds sort of half-baked. Maybe it's the wrong type of band for the material. Good songs in there tough of course.