Lou Reed Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by the pope ondine, May 5, 2020.

1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes I get that, good point.

mr.datsun likes this.
  2. Greenblues

Greenblues Forum Resident

+1

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

My favourite track on the first album are "I Love You", "Wild Child" and "Love Makes Me Feel".
    Listening to the album again, I think the lousey closeted drumming lets the whole thing down.

the pope ondine likes this.
  4. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

5. gjp163

gjp163 Forum Resident

Lester’s writings are “novel” like.

Compare that to “rock” journalism in the late 60’s, early 70’s where artists had to answer questions like “How would you describe your music” “What sort of message are you sending with your music” Ugh!

6. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

agreed sylvia was not a great graphic designer

DTK likes this.
  7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident Thread Starter

I kind of liked this one.....

[​IMG]

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Me too. Quite funny!

9. the pope ondine

Next up....

Transformer

wiki:
    Transformer is the second solo studio album by American recording artist Lou Reed. The album is considered an influential landmark of the glam rock genre, anchored by Reed's most successful single, "Walk on the Wild Side", which touched on then-controversial topics of sexual orientation, gender identity, prostitution, and drug use. Produced by David Bowie and arranged by Mick Ronson, the album was released in November 1972 by RCA Records. Though Reed's self-titled debut solo album had been unsuccessful, Bowie had been an early fan of Reed's former band The Velvet Underground, and used his own fame to promote Reed, who had not yet achieved mainstream success.[1][2]

Side one
    1. "Vicious" – 2:55
    2. "Andy's Chest" – 3:17
    3. "Perfect Day" – 3:43
    4. "Hangin' 'Round" – 3:39
    5. "Walk on the Wild Side" – 4:12
    Side two
    1. "Make Up" – 2:58
    2. "Satellite of Love" – 3:40
    3. "Wagon Wheel" – 3:19
    4. "New York Telephone Conversation" – 1:31
    5. "I'm So Free" – 3:07
    6. "Goodnight Ladies" – 4:19
    30th anniversary edition bonus tracks
    1. "Hangin' 'Round" (acoustic demo) – 3:58
    2. "Perfect Day" (acoustic demo – includes a hidden track featuring an advert for the album) – 4:50

[​IMG]

Personnel

Additional personnel

Production

• David Bowie – producer
    • Mick Ronson – producer
    • Ken Scott – engineer

the album that made Lou's career...if this failed we could be looking at lou as this obscure figure only the old VU fans would know. David Bowie uses his newfound clout to fast track this album and Lou rises to the occasion. Walk on the Wild Side is still as great as it was in 1972, rhyming head with head, jackies speeeeeding away, he was a she, a sneak peak into the Warhol scene played on the radio! (was it edited at all?). Satellite of Love, Perfect Day, Vicious, all killer. Not a weak song, I'm so Free might be my sleeper from album. The sounds is the opposite of the debuts muffled - in your face, energetic, sparks. helped a lot by Bowie and Mick Ronson who did the string arrangement. one of the first lou reed albums I bought (the first was VU at Max's I think, then the Blue Mask then this) Opinions? favorite songs? least favorite? Memories?

10. the pope ondine

11. the pope ondine

12. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I know you didn’t miss him out, but to quote Lou, “mustn't forget Ronno.” Guitars, piano, strings, recorder, vocals, arrangements. Three undeniable classics on this (Wild Side, Perfect Day and Satellite - which might be the only time he topped a Velvets original version, though I’d also posit the later “She’s My Best Friend”- some freewheeling Lou humor and wordplay, and a lot of enjoyable music. Maybe the last time Lou was actually fun for quite a while. I also especially dig “I’m So Free”. His New York conversation period.

Christgau later admitted that the New York critics group “f*’d the album” because of Lou’s temerity in dropping Richard Robinson in favor of Bowie. The public didn’t care about the reviews.

JoeRockhead, DTK, Purple Jim and 2 others like this.
  13. the pope ondine

this was the closing song for the ron and fez radio show for years.....I cant hear it without thinking of them

14. the pope ondine

lou should've been a cabaret singer, really

15. the pope ondine

is that why? I was reading a luke warm review by rolling stone as well, the critics always seemed to be a step behind with lou, they'd really bring out the forks for berlin too o_O also yeah I think mick ronson really was key to the album.

16. the pope ondine

[​IMG]

lou practices his miming skills, pouring an imaginary drink, david is impressed

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  17. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Yes, I always suspected one reason Lou brought Richard back for Street Hassle (besides possibly feeling guilty) is that it would ease the American critics’ animosity toward him. I believe it was also Henry Edwards, influential back then, who had turned on Lou. Nothing was like that ridiculous take down of Berlin in Rolling Stone though. “Goodbye Lou” indeed. Not hardly! Was that Marsh?

Of course, it would always be hard for Lou’s solo work to stack up against the consistent brilliance of the Velvets albums, and by the 70’s he was a different artist in a different time.

18. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

LOOOUUU!
    I just found this thread. I'm going to try to keep up, but...

The first record, which has already been thoroughly discussed, is wonderful.
    I just wonder what it might have sounded like with The Tots.

19. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Transformer is an outlier in Lou's catalogue. While it's wonderful, I'm glad he didn't stick with the glammy edges in his future.
    Better stuff was on the way.

Grower of Mushrooms and DTK like this.
  20. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

For me the Transformer album is a massive step up from s/t. It hit me big time back in the day and got me off and running Lou-wise. Rate it very highly still, a somewhat "lighter" listen than what was to come to put it mildly.

The MEZ and Purple Jim like this.
  21. the pope ondine

I tried to look it up but the Rolling Stone site keeps freezing lol, it was brutal, no wonder lou was depressed after that (found it; Stephen Davies)

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    mr.datsun and TeddyB like this.
  22. the pope ondine

lschwart and mr.datsun like this.
  23. the pope ondine

ill buy it!

24. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

A shout out to Herbie Flower's bass playing. And some tuba!

Jonny W and the pope ondine like this.
  25. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

" Do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do "

The MEZ and Safeway 1 like this.