Lou Reed archive releases – why so few?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Mar 1, 2018.

1. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

There are actually more tracks than that on the 1965 demo/copyright tape .

zombie dai likes this.
  2. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

Pretty soon after the Bottom Line shows, Lou also played Studio 54 with the band and that was also a fantastic show. My brother taped that show and I had it converted to DAT although to find a working DAT machine now is difficult.

Live In Italy is such a weird album. The sound on the album is so harsh and it seems like the band felt the same way based on the music. The mistake was not to release a recording from earlier in the tour when the band had more positive energy. It is almost painful to listen to.

3. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Was listening to the boot of the early show (I think) of Rock n Roll Animal and first off, I enjoyed it more than the released album, but I'm more just surprised they haven't released a Part II. It would sell like hotcakes.

jay.dee likes this.
  4. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

oh cool! do you know what they are?

DeeThomaz likes this.
  5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Part 2 was called 'Lou Reed Live'

7. Cranny

Cranny Forum Resident

Going back to the original title of this post, I have at least 30 albums by Lou and The Velvets, and have heard maybe 20 more live and outtake releases, enough for any lifetime, I don`t have interest in any more archive releases.

8. zombie dai

9. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

So, you're holding out for new material?

10. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Yes. Rumor has it that Lou and The Velvets are working a new album of studio material.
    Nico has agreed to sing one song and Andy is producing.

11. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Here is what i would to see:

s/t: Remixed with demos.
    Berlin: Expanded version remixed in stereo and 5.1
    RSD Alice Tully Hall on cd
    The complete Rock 'n' Roll Animal shows
    The complete Take No Prisoners recordings box set

At least.

12. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Agreed, I put it on a few weeks ago and only made it to the end of the first side. Harsh is the right word.

13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It's the gruff 'let's get this done and go home', delivery that puts me off.

14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'm a Lou Reed fan, but '30 albums by Lou and The Velvets' and '20 more live and outtake releases' sounds like a lot of repetition to me. I'm pretty selective for all bands I like and, unless it's the Velvets, I avoid live albums. (The Velvets are an exception as there's so little of the early band.) So, I'm not suprised you have no further interest, as it sounds like you have had your fill. But I would have thought these unreleased songs from 1965 might have interested you.

I wonder whether it would? Those RnRAnimal shows sound all the same to me. I'm not sure another volume would add anything particularly new to the Lou Reed catalogue. And I think it would be for hardcore fans only, not really a big seller.

Cranny likes this.
  15. Cranny

Cranny Forum Resident

The early demo recordings I have heard have been of interest for maybe 1 or 2 listens, they are poorly recorded and often have an annoying folky feel, I think its almost miraculous the change they made within about a year.
    I imagine there are no unreleased holy grails the material has been plowed over in the CD era for nearly 30 years.

mr.datsun likes this.
  16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes, I totally agree that they are the kind of material that you don't want to hear too often. But as songs written before or leading up to the Velvet Underground, they are historically quite important, with some songs that have been long talked about but never heard. It's hard to ignore them.

Interesting in this context is the first CD in Peel Slowly and See. The one with all those attempts at the early songs in full folk-mode. I never play it. But I did buy an unoffical LP called 'Prominent Men'. On side one, it has edits of that tape that present those songs in a concise form. I was quite suprised at how much more enjoyable it was.

Also, I do enjoy the 1966(?) demos tape that includes an early Here She Comes Now along with other songs not recorded by the VU.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    Cranny likes this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Hey, I will buy almost anything...and pre/early VU tapes are top of the pile simply because there are unheard songs.
    I don't play the first disc of PSAS often either, but as a historical document it's great to have.

phillyal1 and mr.datsun like this.
  18. Doctor Flang

They sound the same because the band was well rehearsed and pretty darn tight. But there are still different solos from Wagner and Hunter, and there is some variation in Lou vocals too. Also, it would be nice to hear the Intro of Sweet Jane and Vicious without that dreaded added fake applause!

StrungOutOnStrings, SteveFff and DTK like this.
  19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Ok. I understand, but not enough to keep me interested, I'm afraid. Certainly not enough to buy it as official product. But who knows what fans will get once the archive-release machine gets going.

20. Doctor Flang

The correct running orded is also one big difference.

Hopefully as much as possible! And they should really start with releasing the Alice Tully Hall on cd.

21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The Academy is such an iconic performance that it deserves a long-form presentation no matter what.

rnranimal, jay.dee and Doctor Flang like this.
  22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Quine is very clearly heard on Legendary Hearts. I guess all the discussion stems from Bob's own comments, and he was very bitter.

Now, it's always possible that Lou did cut loads guitar parts that we've never been aware of and if so those would be possibly - or not - nice to hear.
    But to say Bob isn't heard on the album is just not true.

23. zombie dai

24. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I have no interest in this. I have the “New York” box set, which is fine, I like the better quality demos and extra.tracks. Just putting out crappy product for the sake of putting out something just doesn’t interest me personally.

25. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I have the laser disc of this.