DCC Archive Lou Reed/Transformer 24K Gold Disc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin Sypolt, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anyone heard RCA's 24 Karat Gold Disc version of Lou Reed's Transformer? If so, how are the sonics?

2. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Although I haven't heard the UK remaster, I suspect they are the same sound - anyone feel free to correct me if I'm off base - I've not heard the UK version, only the RCA gold. It is WAY better than the original US cheapy release, which sounded muffled and nothing like the original vinyl (from memory)

3. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Well, if you haven't heard the UK remaster, you have passed the best available remaster!!! The remaster eas done by Andy Pearce from the original analogue master tapes @Metropolis in London.

You can throw away the RCA Gold CD... although I keep this rarity.

4. Kevin Sypolt

Hmmm, thanks guys. I purchased a sealed copy for a reasonable price, but I was afraid to open it, as I didn't want to be disappointed... So tell me more about this UK remaster. Amazon has a 1998 remaster made in Germany. Is this the one? If not, where can one find this UK remaster, and how do I recognize it? I'm not looking for every little detail. More interested in that "breath of life" type sound. Thanks in advance.

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have the Reed box, and I prefer the RCA original for a more natural sound. I might be getting the remaster soon, but I've always liked the way my old 1st pressing RCA CD of that record sounded. If I hear it, I'll let everyone know.

I woulnd't knock the USA RCA CD too hard though. MHO.

6. Kevin Sypolt

Thanks Fireblade,

I was able to confirm that the German Import was remastered by Andrew Pearce, so I went ahead and ordered it. Thanks for the recommendation. I will probably end up opening the 24K RCA version too. You can never have too many versions of a favorite, right? Well, either that, or just one Steve Hoffman special...

7. John Buchanan

Sckott,
    the Lou box set must have different sound from the old RCA UK vinyl pressing of Transformer I listened to many years ago. The RCA US CD sounded like a very muffled version of that vinyl to me. The RCA gold sounds closer to the vinyl. Perhaps I'll search out the new RCA version. Why wasn't it redone in the US?

8. Kevin Sypolt

John, thanks so much for your recommendation. I opened the RCA 24K Gold Disc today, and I must say, I am very impressed. Much more clarity, without being harsh. I used to have the old RCA version, and I must have got ahold of a bad (cheap) copy. The CD was only $5.99 in the discount rack, and it sounded like a paid about $5.98 too much for it. Sounded like a fifth generation tape, with one being cassette. I think there must be different "stock" versions out there. Anyway, this RCA 24K version was warm and yummy on my Stereo70. Thanks dude.

9. John Buchanan

The RCA gold was done by the same team that remastered Berlin and Rock 'n' Roll Animal. Let me know what the UK remaster sounds like when you get it. Lou Reed Live badly needs to be remastered to improve the sound - it's a great album, and should have been tacked onto R n R Animal to make it a double.
    I can't understand how there is a UK and an older German release of the first album, but no US release. In some cases, there are different versions remastered at different places all available simultaneously as current versions. Really sloppy.
    I'd like to hear Take No Prisoners remastered - a great (binaural recording) headphone experience, especially when Lou blows smoke in your ear!! Pale Blue Eyes is really good, but the audience vs Lou battles are a little wearing ;)

10. Kevin Sypolt

Wow! It sounds like you are much more knowledgeable on the Lou Reed discography than I am. I have always liked Transformer, but have never tried Berlin or Rock and Roll Animal. One of these days, I shall have to "spread my wings" a bit and give them a try. Thanks again.

11. John Buchanan

Kevin,
    R n R Animal and Lou Reed Live are wonderful - JUST BUY THEM!!! (despite LRL's not so good sound)
    Berlin is very harrowing, but musically good - lots of gust appearances - Jack Bruce, BJ Wilson to name two

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.