Lovage - "Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By" one of my favorite trip-hop/downtempo albums ever

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HotelYorba101, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member Thread Starter

To me this is a trip-hop masterpiece! I haven't seen a thread on here specifically about this amazing one-off collaboration between Mike Patton, Dan the Automator, Jennifer Charles, and Kid Koala and I wanted to pay homage to what I think is one of the greatest downtempo albums ever made.

To me the shining star is Jennifer Charles' sensual and haunting voice, highlighted especially on songs such as "To Catch A Thief", "Stroker Ace", and "Strangers on A Train". I could listen to her voice all day, and her with Mike Patton is a fun playful combination. The production is top notch, the instrumentals are well crafted, and the vocals are amazing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HotelYorba101

One of my favorite Mike Patton projects aside from Faith No More as well

fallbreaks and alex1976delarge like this.
  3. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I’ll have to say that I usually prefer Dan The Automator’s instrumental takes on his albums and this one is no exception. That’s a good thing that there are basically two versions of most of his albums so if you don’t want the vocals you can have that choice. It’s been a while since I’ve listened so I’ll grab my CD now to listen on my drive to work in the morning.

alex1976delarge likes this.
  4. HotelYorba101

Let me know what you think on this listen! For me personally the vocals, especially Jennifer's are what really lured me into this project - although I have the instrumental CD of this album too and totally love it as well because the instrumentals are IMO very well done for sure :)

5. HotelYorba101

I don't know if anyone has this on vinyl but if so I would love to hear how the pressings sound too!

6. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

7. HotelYorba101

Glad to see some love for it! I really wish this album was more widely known, it definitely deserves the recognition

M321115 and alex1976delarge like this.
  8. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

First grabbed this on cd close to its original release in 2001. I think that was the height of my Mike Patton kick, when I started buying up everything he was associated with including Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, FNM, and his current band (at the time) Tomahawk, which I managed to see three times while touring with Tool on the Lateralus tour. Anyway, I picked this on vinyl a couple years ago, sold it, and had sellers remorse until reacquiring it just recently. The sound quality of the vinyl is fantastic and its one of those records that I fear will never see a proper repress because of its niche appeal and the legalese associated with all the sampling. No one wants a heavily redacted version ala Frontier Psychiatrist, it would kill the record. Anyway, highly recommend acquiring it on vinyl if you have the opportunity. No longer have the cd to do comparisons, but it sounds fantastic.

9. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

This is a great record that sadly seemed to fly under everyone's radar at the time. If you like it, I'd also strongly recommend the Peeping Tom album from 2006, which saw Patton return to a similar general style.

alex1976delarge and Mr. H like this.
  10. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Never heard of this. Thanks I will give it a try

11. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Thanks for this. I am listening to it on Tidal. I really like the album. The Python Lee Jackson cameo is very keen.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  12. djej

djej Forum Resident

Just listened to “Take Me Home” last week.

13. alex1976delarge

alex1976delarge Forum Resident

I bought this on release on cd after getting into Dan The Automator from the Handsome Boy Modeling School and Deltron 3030 releases. Introduced me to Jennifer Charles’ amazing sultry voice. I would love this on vinyl but $300 plus is way out of my price range. If I ever saw one irl though...

AZRunner likes this.
  14. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I bought this when it first came out. I love it! I haven’t listened to it in a while, time to give it a spin.

fallbreaks likes this.
  15. Wigru

Wigru Forum Resident

That trip hop is hot
    So my wife likes it… a lot.
    Made me go for a Lucky shot
    Regret I do not.

<End of poem>

ChristopherTeuma likes this.
  16. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Crazy prices on the vinyl. I hope it gets a vinyl reissue at some point.

17. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

Never heard of this collab. Thanks, listening right now!

18. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

Reissue coming March 2022:
    General 2 — RSD Essentials

There are a few shops you can pre order this from now

eddiel and AZRunner like this.
  19. alex1976delarge

alex1976delarge Forum Resident

Like which ones? I’m struggling to find any.

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

21. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  22. HotelYorba101

Thanks for this! Looks like it has sold out by now but I hope those who were looking for it were able to score a copy

23. Funeral At The Movies

Funeral At The Movies Froum Reisdnet

Very overlooked album. Even Patton diehards seem to ignore this project, which is disappointing. I had a couple friends who were Patton fanatics, and they couldn't get into it at all. Oh well. More Lovage for us.

24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Too late. Already double+ the retail price on discogs :)

Funeral At The Movies likes this.
  25. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

It's definitely got that Lemon Jelly feel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.