Lovage - "Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By" one of my favorite trip-hop/downtempo albums ever

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HotelYorba101, Feb 10, 2019 at 2:52 AM.

1. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Forum Resident Thread Starter

To me this is a trip-hop masterpiece! I haven't seen a thread on here specifically about this amazing one-off collaboration between Mike Patton, Dan the Automator, Jennifer Charles, and Kid Koala and I wanted to pay homage to what I think is one of the greatest downtempo albums ever made.

To me the shining star is Jennifer Charles' sensual and haunting voice, highlighted especially on songs such as "To Catch A Thief", "Stroker Ace", and "Strangers on A Train". I could listen to her voice all day, and her with Mike Patton is a fun playful combination. The production is top notch, the instrumentals are well crafted, and the vocals are amazing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

neruda and Synthfreek like this.
  2. HotelYorba101

One of my favorite Mike Patton projects aside from Faith No More as well

3. Synthfreek

Synthfreek Please label the photos you post

I’ll have to say that I usually prefer Dan The Automator’s instrumental takes on his albums and this one is no exception. That’s a good thing that there are basically two versions of most of his albums so if you don’t want the vocals you can have that choice. It’s been a while since I’ve listened so I’ll grab my CD now to listen on my drive to work in the morning.

4. HotelYorba101

Let me know what you think on this listen! For me personally the vocals, especially Jennifer's are what really lured me into this project - although I have the instrumental CD of this album too and totally love it as well because the instrumentals are IMO very well done for sure :)

5. HotelYorba101

I don't know if anyone has this on vinyl but if so I would love to hear how the pressings sound too!

6. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Great great album.

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  7. HotelYorba101

Glad to see some love for it! I really wish this album was more widely known, it definitely deserves the recognition