Love and Rockets Seventh Dream of a Teenage Heaven- Pure Audio Blu-ray disc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimhb, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't have a surround system, so I probably won't get this... but it looks interesting.

Beggars Group Canada »

Seventh Dream Of Teenage Heaven was Love And Rockets darkly psychedelic debut album, and it was
    released by Beggars Banquet in 1985 and marked the beginning of a career that would span an
    impressive 14 years and 7 albums.

This special release features a high definition 96 kHz / 24 bit surround mix created by Neil Wilkes from
    the analogue multi-tracks and also includes three additional bonus tracks from the original session
    including the Gold Certified single “Ball Of Confusion” and a cover of Pink Floyd’s “Lucifer Sam”.
    The original stereo masters, as used on the CD and vinyl, were digitally mixed on to F1 masters in 1985
    at 44.1 kHz / 16 bit, so no high resolution analogue copies were created. For the Blu-ray release, Neil
    Wilkes has created a new HD stereo mix. The release has been approved by original producer John A.
    Rivers.

This release is on a Pure Audio Blu-ray disc, meaning it can be played on a Blu-ray player like a CD,
    without the need for a navigational screen (though this is included). The audio streams are allocated to
    the color buttons on the remote control.

Love And Rockets formed in 1985, almost 2 years after the demise of cult goth pioneers Bauhaus. The
    band re-united Daniel Ash (vocals and guitar), David J (vocals and bass) and Kevin Haskins (drums).
    Back in the mid-Eighties, when the North American alternative scene was just that, Love And Rockets
    were one of the leading lights.

Love and Rockets provided a clean slate and an opportunity to plumb the depths of imagination and
    influences. Their first single, a radical reworking of The Temptations classic “Ball Of Confusion”, was a
    huge hit in underground dance clubs on both sides of the Atlantic. The release of their acclaimed debut
    album followed. Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven was an unashamedly psychedelic adventure, far
    removed from the dark soundscapes of Bauhaus. Yet they had to fight hard to avoid being branded
    ‘goth’, citing Syd Barrett, Marc Bolan and the Beatles as primary influences.

Ned Ragget wrote about it’s recent 30th anniversary for The Quietus. “it’s its own thing, ruined
    elegance, sculpted beauty, sometimes sharp without being angry, often inspiring without being sappy,
    able to capture even slow dull moments in an attractive fashion. Every time I hear it, I’m glad it exists.”

Though the years have deadened its impact somewhat, there is still a visceral thrill to be drawn from
    replaying the first Love and Rockets album, a sense of the first step taken towards a brave new world,
    and a miasmic whirl of psychedelic intent that masks intents even darker than the preceding Bauhaus
    ever envisioned. Recorded and released in 1985, riding to club acclaim on the back of the “Ball of
    Confusion” remake, and aligning its makers with a destiny and fame that no one could ever have
    predicted, Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven ranks among the most deceptive debut albums of the
    1980s. The keys to the album remain the same, of course — the churning guitar soup of “The Dog-End of
    a Day Gone By,” the sibilant glam sexuality of the title track, the chilling nursery rhyme pendulum of “The
    Game.” But the opiate atmosphere that chokes the wide open spaces leavened within every song only
    thickens by the time you hit the closing acoustics of “Saudade,” and Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven
    emerges as profound an experience as any of the lauded trips of the original psychedelic era. It rounds
    out the experience with dramatic flair, pinpointing the sheer creativity that was sparking around Love and
    Rockets at the dawn of their decade-long career — and reminding you that that decade was over all too
    quickly.- All Music

Selections:
    High Definition (96 kHz / 24 Bit)
    5.1 Surround Sound Mix
    1. If There’s A Heaven Above
    2. A Private Future
    3. The Dog-end of a Day Gone By
    4. The Game
    5. Seventh Dream of Teenage
    Heaven
    6. Haunted When the Minutes
    Drag
    7. Saudade
    8. Ball Of Confusion
    9. Lucifer Sam
    10. Inside The Outside

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab
    Original Stereo Mix
    1. If There’s A Heaven Above
    2. A Private Future
    3. The Dog-end of a Day Gone By
    4. The Game
    5. Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven
    6. Haunted When the Minutes Drag
    7. Saudade
    8. Ball Of Confusion
    9. Lucifer Sam
    10. Inside The Outside

ytserush, Bowie Fett, JeffMo and 4 others like this.
  2. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

:bigeek:

JeffMo and oshfr like this.
  3. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Tasty indeed

jimhb likes this.
  4. jimhb

I often wonder how many 1980's lp's were actually different from their cd counterpart. This Love and Rockets lp came out in 1985 and they used 44.1 kHz / 16 bit transfers for the vinyl. The Cure did the same with their Disintegration lp.

JeffMo, tmtomh and Paully like this.
  5. jimhb

I am trying to get clarification regarding the regular stereo mix. MOFI is doing it and it should be in high def. I will post what I find out.

6. jzone

jzone Member

Ball of Confussion in 5.1!!!! I'm in!

7. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Cool. I've been hoping to see more 80s alt rock releases get the 5.1 treatment like this. Is anybody familiar with Neil Wilkes' work?

jamesc likes this.
  8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Wait. "Lucifer Sam" is an Express-era B-Side, from "Kundalini Express," isn't it?

quakerparrot67 and jimhb like this.
  9. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I noticed that too. Maybe it was an earlier version recorded during the Teenage Heaven sessions? I'm good either way!

jimhb likes this.
  10. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Wake me up when this is available on Amazon.com ... Though I may eventually pick it up from Acoustic Sounds or Music Direct if I need something to put me over the free shipping threshold.

11. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That link also mentions the Pixies Doolittle is getting the same treatment. Both are up on Acoustic Sounds web page $25 each

Hymie the Robot and jamesc like this.
  12. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Bull Moose has them for under $20 each.

JeffMo likes this.
  13. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

In. Hope this sells well leading to the self-titled album getting the same treatment.

jimhb likes this.
  14. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Possibly because they were mixing to DAT...?

15. jimhb

You should check out Drastic Plastic's recent Love and Rockets self titled lp. It was cut by Kevin Gray and it sounds awesome.

vette442 likes this.
  16. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

I'm really surprised there is enough demand for them to release this.

I wish they had made Omnibus Editions for the last two Bauhaus studio albums.

jamesc likes this.
  17. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

The heck??

18. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Take what you can get. Did you learn anything from the multichannel AF reissues? ...multiple wish list threads here.

19. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I always preferred Love and Rockets to Bauhaus, not even close.

This has has always been one of my favorite 80's albums. It's great to see an underrated band get some attention.

20. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

Love this album! It had such a mystique for me as a UK import-only album when it was newer. This album and Express were in heavy rotation for me for ages.

peterzac, JeffMo and Hymie the Robot like this.
  21. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident

I'm so in for this one, this will be an amazing listen in 5.1.
    Neil Wilkes has done the surround mix and he has authored many of the great SW 5.1 mixes as well as other surround stuff and he has a great ear for surround so this should be very very good.
    To have an idea on Neil Wilkes mixing chops, maybe not well known by all but very excellent discreet mixes, he did "The Vicar Songbook #1" and "Ian Cooke-Antiquasauria".

jamesc and Hymie the Robot like this.
  22. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Whoa, what a headphone treat this is. 5.1 should be a lot of fun.

peterzac likes this.
  23. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

IN.

IN.

IN.

24. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Forum Resident

I would love Express to get the same treatment!!!

25. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Keep buying them NEW and they will keep making them.

peterzac likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.