LOVE "Forever Changes", one of my favorite albums of all time.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

If you have any power over at the WB STeve you really need them to do a Hi-Rez DVDA or SACD. Truly one of the greatest LPs of all time!

2. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Re: LOVE "Forever Changes", one of my favorite album of all time. The CD sounds great!

I first came across this album at a friend's house a few months ago. I had heard of Love but never heard anything by them. I walked into his house and he had "Alone Again or.." playing. I thought it was the Moody Blues! :) I got a quick lesson in one of the great undiscovered albums of all time and promptly went out the next week and bought the Rhino Re-Master. The Red Telephone is my favorite track.

My friend is two for two. A few months before THAT, he introduced me to The Zombies' "Odessey & Oracle". I always heard "Time Of The Season" but knew nothing about the album. Again, another lost classic, and i in turn introduced two other friends to that. That was after I went out and bought the mono/stereo 30th Annivesary edition from Big Beat.

Steve, if you ever find yourself with nothing to do, we wouldn't mind a SH mastering of O&O by the Zombies!! :)

3. Matt

Matt New Member

What about the first two Love albums? Anybody hear any plans for those?

There's the recent best of, but I want the original albums.

4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I haven't picked the mono/stereo reissues of the first 2 LP's yet but I've heard nothing but GREAT things about them. These reissues are only available in the UK but I think Red Trumpet has them for a good price.

If you are a fan of the first 2 LP's look for the Last Wall of the Castle boot which has backing tracks from the 1st LP in stereo, the stereo backing track of No Fourteen, the 7 and 7 is session and a few alternate mixes of FC trakcs.

Chris

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Any of you Quad fans ever hear of a 4:0 surround mix of FOREVER CHANGES? Bruce or Paul R. mentioned it once and I've been searching for some documentation about it ever since....

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

It's one of my favorite records... I love it and I can play the CD every day. Steve is right... Forever Changes was ahead at this time.

[​IMG]

7. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Borders stocks them, at domestic prices. :thumbsup:

8. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

Get the imports. They sound way better and you get both the mono and new stereo versions plus bonus tracks.

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

A good question for jon....never officially released, even on Q8, would have been hard to miss that one....hell, Mickey Newbury and the New Seekers got Quad vinyl and 8-track, no Love that I can remember, and it would have been dynamite, of course....

ED:cool:

10. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

Foreve Changes is too one of my favorite albums. It's amazing how there's no electronics involved, everything is rooted in familiar, classical instruments, but it still sounds completley alien. Forget Darkside of the Moon, this is the album that belongs in every stoners collection. ;) :D To a certian degree I kinda think that the new High-Res formats are ******** but I think I'd have to get a sacd or dvd-a player if Forever Changes came out in multi-channel.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I know it was never released. I am asking if it was ever done. Some seem to think it was and then shelved, others don't remember. If a Quadraphonic mix was indeed done of FOREVER CHANGES, this would be a good candidate for DVD-A or SACD.

12. Joe Koz

Borders does stock the imports, at domestic prices. ;)

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

What "degree" is that? Is it the catalogue?

Regards,
    Geoff

14. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

Well I undertand the appeal of them but it's not something i'm interested in. I don't really see a reason to buy a digital disc that is trying to sound like analog, I'd rather just go with analog. Like I said I understand why people dig them and it's neat to hear an album in 5.1 but it's not something I want. Not to rag on you high-res guys. :)

15. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

Aquateen - Agree with you about the analog, as long as you still own analog equipment. I had to sell mine awhile ago. I love the warmth of analog-sounding digital releases, especially SACD and DVD-A. To be honest, I can't listen to most digital-sounding releases for more than a few songs due to listener fatigue. I can listen to analog sources and most hi-rez for the duration.

16. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I'd love to see the record in 5.1 SACD.....

17. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I'm just happy that it's around, 'cause there was a time when it was out of print in vinyl, and the annoying first press on CD. That sucked! Love Story was very cool, and this is cooler; even if the mastering is similar, the package and the pictures, and, let's face it - that amazing cover are worth purchasing this one!

Still everyone, go buy the first two and Four Sail from WSM as well. Those first four albums are essential, and I still think that Love at their less than best still craps from a great height on most everything else!

action pact likes this.
  18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'd love to hear it! :laugh: :laugh:

19. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

Oooh yeah !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I replaced my original vinyl (mono!) when the first CD came out. It had a skip anyway. I replaced the first CD when Love Story was released.

What is the correct term for the "speaker splintering" (I listen basically in the car or at home on a low-fi shelf system) towards the end of You Set the Scene ?

And if you take it easy
    I’m still teethin’
    I wanna love you, but
    Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

the condition that I am asking about occurs at the end of the echo on the "oh, oh, oh, oh"

It was worse on the original CD, but it's still there on the Love Story
    version

thanks

21. A couple of weeks back I sent the link to this thread to a good friend who's been a HUGE Love fan, since day one.

His response:

"I am sometimes very confused by the strange reverence that Love get these days. It is a seeming total re-evaluation of how they were treated in the 1970s and and just dismissed."

:agree:

22. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Tell yer friend that is was simply a case of being ahead of their time - eg. Big Star - the band that got it's consumer praise in 1992 instead of 1972; or poor Nick Drake - who had to have VW run an ad with "Pink Moon" in it in order for it to reach an audience 27 years after he passes!

23. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Well, to be honest, "Love" could hardly be considered the bold, ground-breaking band they once were once the '70s rolled around, now could they? I dismissed them then and don't regret having felt that way.

24. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Love, as of FOUR SAIL, was dismissible, even though the album does have its moments....by the time Lee & gang got to Blue Thumb, they began to totally lose focus, and the gems were scattered around, sparingly....and after that, Love didn't really exist....the RSO Lp from '74 is just crap, the '70s solo A&M Lp VINDICATOR vindicated nothing(easily forgotten), and a late '70s EP failed to impress....like many before him, Arthur Lee was a man out of his time very quickly. Good to see a comeback of sorts, and that so many appreciate him now, but Love, while well respected during its peak time(1966-68)and known to diehard rock fans and critics familiar with the era, remains a nonentity to the public at large-- unlike, say, the more notorious(and influential)Velvet Underground.

ED:cool:

25. Joe Koz

I bought "Four Sail" for the first time a few months back, and I quit like it. It certainly isn't "Forever Changes" but it's listenable. JMHO! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.