Love Over Gold what is the best digital version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill Mac, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident Thread Starter

Carlox and c-eling like this.
  2. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

I prefer the SHM-SACD. I also have the Vertigo CD.

Bill Mac likes this.
  3. Bill Mac

Thanks for your thoughts! I just played the SHM-CD now I'm going to play the SHM-SACD.

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The Japan for US Sanyo is one nice sounding disc Bill, I do have a early Canadian Disque Americ Vertigo with different peak levels also
    Since this was a great recording to begin with I would think it would be tough to find an awful pre-remaster edition
    What do you prefer?

Bill Mac likes this.
  5. Bill Mac

I did a direct comparison (using two Oppo players) between the SHM-SACD and the SHM-CD earlier today. It was an interesting comparison as the SHM-CD seems a bit "drier" as the SHM-SACD seems a bit "livelier ". Not sure if I'm using the correct terminology but I'd say a slightly prefer the SHM-CD over the SHM-SACD.

PhantomStranger and c-eling like this.
  6. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Aren't they the same mastering with this particular title? Just going from memory.

dadonred likes this.
  7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

SHM-CD is the best one IMO

8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

No, they redid S/T and Love Over Gold for the "Plutonium SHM" series. :)
    I have never heard a bad version of Love Over Gold starting from the original WG disc up to the last Japan version. If you own a copy on CD you have a great sounding disc.

Pete Puma, scobb, TGH7 and 3 others like this.
  9. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I like parts of the album and have several versions. I like the sacd but am also fine with my old Vertigo cd.

Chemically altered likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

The 2011 SHM-SACD UIGY 9505 and the 2013 SHM-CD 75939 do not have the same mastering per cdjapan. The listing for the SHM-CD on cdjapan states: HR cutting from the DSD master which was flat transferred from UK original analogue master tapes in 2013. With the SHM-SACD UIGY 9505 being released in 2011 it couldn't have the same mix.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    ggggreenisaac likes this.
  11. Bill Mac

Barry,

You are correct in that the SHM S/T and Love Over Gold were both redone in 2013. I think the only digital version of Love Over Gold that I own that doesn't sound that great is the remaster from 2000. Back then (way before joining SH) I thought if it's been remastered it must be better. Since joining SH I've learned that isn't always true ;).

12. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Ah, many thanks for putting me straight. I was thinking they put out a an SACD, a "plutonium" CD and an SHM-CD in 2013 but obviously it was only the last two.

eelkiller likes this.
  13. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I thought the 2000 remasters were OK. In my opinion the only butchered digital releases for Dire Straits are the BIA original SACD or DVD Audio (sound) and the Vertigo S/T (decent sound but edits used for no apparent reason).

For Love Over Gold I kept the Vertigo and the 2 newer Japan masterings.

14. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I had the first three versions in your list, thought they first two were almost identical sounding so I gave the Vertigo away to a friend. The 2000 remaster didn't sound as transparent so I sold it on eBay.

15. JimD

JimD Forum Resident

Plutonium CDs and remixes? Time to back up and punt.

16. Bill Mac

I like the 5.1 mix of Brothers In Arms off of the Dual Disc over the SACD. But the stereo layer off of both don't sound very good.

It looks like the current Love Over Gold SHM-SACD UIGY-9637 has the same mastering as the 2011 SHM-SACD. There is no mention in the listing stating that there was a new mastering or "transfer" that shows in the 2013 SHM-CD listing.

17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I know that you would want to know about the CDs, but I must say that the vinyl pressing of this album, whether US or Canadian, is one of the absolute greats.

Just to put that out there. Just for info sake...

RayMusicLover and Dr. Funk like this.
  18. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident

I picked up my "original US" CD several years ago based the recommendations here, and I've always loved its sound. Then I read about the Vertigo mastering and bought one with the blue swirl on the CD. The Vertigo arrived today, and I'm comparing them now. More research on my original US CD reveals that it's actually a club version released in 1990. Here is how the EAC test numbers compare:

Track...Warner W2-23728...Vertigo 800-088-2
    1. Telegraph Road (14:15)...100% 14:23...100% 14:17
    2. Private Investigations (6:45)...73.5% 6:46...85.1% 6:46
    3. Industrial Disease (5:49)...87.7% 5:55...100% 5:51
    4. Love Over Gold (6:16)...76.4% 6:21...100% 6:17
    5. It Never Rains (7:54)...87.5% 7:55...100% 7:57

The difference in track times on the Warner is because of an extra few seconds of silence at the end of tracks 1, 3, and 4. The songs go silent according to the track times printed on the CD.

Here are my impressions of the sound quality:

clarity?...excellent...excellent
    vocals/instuments balance?...well balanced...vocals more prominent
    overall character?...atmospheric...harder driving

I prefer the Warner's sound. I can't hear the difference between the two masterings of Private Investigations, but I can hear it in the other songs. Both CDs sound nice, but it just depends on which sound you like.

If reviews of the upcoming MFSL say that it significantly improves on the Warner, I'll be immensely impressed and will order a copy right away.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  19. sgb

sgb Senior Member

When is this to be released?

20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i have the vinyl and it is good ... but i am keeping my fingers crossed for a 5.1 sacd to be honest

Talisman954 likes this.
  21. c-eling

I'm done with this title-
    Japan Sanyo for US (carries same peaks as the US Manufacture)
    100/73.5/87.7/76.4/87.5
    Analyzed: Dire Straits / Love Over Gold
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR13 0.00 dB -18.36 dB 14:23 01-Telegraph Road
    DR18 -2.66 dB -26.84 dB 6:46 02-Private Investigations
    DR14 -1.13 dB -17.14 dB 5:55 03-Industrial Disease
    DR14 -2.33 dB -21.47 dB 6:21 04-Love Over Gold
    DR13 -1.16 dB -18.56 dB 7:58 05-It Never Rains

mdm08033, DiabloG and Vincent3 like this.
  22. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident

Music Direct has it listed as To Be Announced.

So mine is the same mastering. It's one of the best sounding CDs I own - probably in the top 5 and easily on par with the highly respected MFSLs I have. I'm pretty sure that I too am done.

c-eling likes this.
  23. c-eling

Should be. I've enjoyed it over the years, so much so as I've skipped a few nice condition LP's of it :laugh:
    I had a Canadian Vertigo with different levels I gifted/traded to a forum member. This was my favorite :)
    I wasn't a fan of the MFSL Brothers so I'm just going to stick with the oldies.
    @princesskiki
    Any thoughts on this title?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Randoms likes this.
  24. Bill Mac

I was just checking cdjapan and was surprised to see an upcoming Love Over Gold MQA CD being released on 6/20/18. It shows the same DSD master from 2013 that the Platinum SHM-CD and SHM-CD have. The 2011 and 2014 SHM-SACDs do not list what mastering or tape that were used.

Love Over Gold [Hi-Res CD (MQA x UHQCD)] [Limited Release] Dire Straits CD Album

SHM-CD from 2013 with "HR cutting from the DSD master which was flat transferred from UK original analogue master tapes in 2013." I have the SHM-CD and it sounds excellent.
    Love Over Gold [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] Dire Straits CD Album

List of CDs and SACDs that were or will be available from cdjapan.
    CDJapan : Search result by ( dire straits love over gold ) OR "dire straits love over gold"

Matt Barone, Vincent3 and c-eling like this.
  25. Matt Barone

Matt Barone Forum Resident

That's the one I got, it sounds crisp and really good! I just wished I had an old Vertigo to compare with!

Bill Mac likes this.