LoVE's Forever Changes 50th anniversary celebration. Music, book...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Sep 22, 2017.

1. heyday2day

heyday2day Forum Resident

I own almost every incarnation of this title. Original Elektra Stereo Press, the reissued Elektra Red press, the Sundazed, the recent Rhino press, the MSFL pressing, the single CD press and the awesome, 2 disc deluxe set. It's one of my five favorite albums ever, but I've never got my hands on a mono press. I'll end up picking this up, whatever it is, but I'd be really excited if it was a mono reissue instead of yet another stereo reissue.

lemonade kid likes this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I love the album, but enough is enough. Unless they found the mythical/non-existent Gethsemane and added it as bonus.

3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

What?! SO I'm guessing you haven't gotten the Giles Martin Sgt Pepper's remix either!?

;)

DTK likes this.
  4. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I personally would be very happy with a 5.1 mix because I'm crazy like that. There is so much going on that I think it would be fantastic. Last I heard, the tapes were lost so it was not feasible, so I stuck with my 2 cd deluxe set. But if they found those tapes: surround...just sayin...

5. lemonade kid

yeah...by all accounts...lost!

6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Now if they can only find the complete
    unedited version of Revelation! aka
    John Lee Hooker

lemonade kid likes this.
  7. lemonade kid

Yes. It is said by Love members it was really pretty good uncut. It was understandably edited down to half that! But I'd love to hear it too. The only known recording of their iconic Love live standard that really got the crowds excited in 1966-68!

Scope J likes this.
  8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Well, I hope you wrote "Mono?" right next to the title, so that the title now reads, "Forever Changes Mono?" :laugh:

stereoptic likes this.
  9. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

There was a tracklist for Getsemane in an early issue of the Love fanzine The Castle but I think its been debunked and I believe John Echols has confirmed the only thing recorded by the original band after Forever Changes was the Your Mind/Laughing Stock single.

The Ole' Rocker and DTK like this.
  10. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Isn't Johnny Echols working on Gethsemane right now? I'd love to hear what he and the rest of Love Revisited could do with it. They still sound great.

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Thanks. Yes, I was being slightly ironic, that's how I remember it too.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

I know there is a lot of Love for the Mofi SACD, but after 10 or so tries I've yet to enjoy the dark sound. I much prefer the more open mastering on the Love Story compilation.

13. adad

adad Forum Resident

I read that Bruce Botnick baked the masters for a previous reissue. Is a baked tape reusable once it is done? Also, from this quote it seems like a lot of work has already been done with what they have, hopefully something new has been found for the new release.

"As the original producer and engineer of 'Love Forever Changes', I wasn't happy with the mastering that was done by others years ago. In concert with this album being inducted this year into the United States National Archive as one of the top 100 albums of all time, and with the encouragement of Elektra/Rhino Entertainment, they gave me the original stereo 2 track analog tapes that I mixed at Sunset Sound Recorders Studio 1 in 1967. The archive and mastering took place at my studio where I carefully baked and archived the fragile masters, and re-mastered especially for Pono in 192/24. This new master truly reflects the album as Arthur Lee and I intended and heard in the studio. This is the kind of Provenance that we at Pono take seriously"

14. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I know that when they recorded "Alone Again Or", Arthur's harmony vocal was mixed so loud that it became the lead tune, and Bryan's vocal got submerged. There was talk of remixing it to get the "original version" back, but the multtrack masters are long gone.

However, there exists someplace a live take that Bryan did with his own band, live. More than that, I don't know.

15. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Love’s Forever Changes repackaged for 50th anniversary

50 years ago this week, Love‘s epochal Forever Changes LP was released in the UK.

To mark the occasion, Rhino have announced that a special 50th Anniversary Edition of the album will be issued on April 6.

The box set contains four CDs, two DVDs and a vinyl disc, all housed in an illustrated 12” x 12” hardbound book. It includes the CD debut of a remastered version of Forever Changes made by original co-producer and engineer Bruce Botnick, as well as the first-ever release of the mono version on CD. Also included are alternate mixes of the album, as well as a selection of rare and unreleased singles and studio outtakes.

The vinyl disc contains Botnick’s stereo remaster of the original album, while the DVD includes a 24/96 stereo mix. Also featured is “Your Mind And We Belong Together”, a rare Love promotional video directed by Elektra producer Mark Abramson that was originally released in 1968.

16. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Disc One: Original Album
    1. “Alone Again Or”
    2. “A House Is Not A Motel”
    3. “Andmoreagain”
    4. “The Daily Planet”
    5. “Old Man”
    6. “The Red Telephone”
    7. “Maybe The People Would Be The Times Or Between Clark And Hilldale”
    8. “Live And Let Live”
    9. “The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This”
    10. “Bummer In The Summer”
    11. “You Set The Scene”

Disc Two: Mono Mix

Disc Three: Alternate Mix
    1. “Alone Again Or”
    3. “Andmoreagain”
    4. “The Daily Planet”
    5. “Old Man”
    6. “The Red Telephone”
    8. “Live And Let Live”
    11. “You Set The Scene”
    12. “Wonder People (I Do Wonder)” – Outtake – Alternate Mix

Disc Four: Singles and Outtakes
    1. “Wonder People (I Do Wonder)”
    2. “Alone Again Or” – Single Version
    3. “A House Is Not A Motel” – Single Version
    4. “Hummingbirds” – Demo
    5. “A House Is Not A Motel” – Backing Track
    6. “Andmoreagain” – Alternate Electric Backing Track
    7. “The Red Telephone” – Tracking Sessions Highlights
    8. “Wooly Bully” – Outtake
    9. “Live and Let Live” – Backing Track *
    10. “Wonder People (I Do Wonder)” – Outtake, Backing Track *
    11. “Your Mind And We Belong Together” – Tracking Sessions Highlights
    12. “Your Mind And We Belong Together”
    13. “Laughing Stock”
    14. “Alone Again Or” – Mono Single Remix

DVD: 24/96 Stereo Mix
    1. “Alone Again Or”
    3. “Andmoreagain”
    4. “The Daily Planet”
    5. “Old Man”
    6. “The Red Telephone”
    8. “Live And Let Live”
    11. “You Set The Scene”
    12. “Your Mind And We Belong Together” – Video

LP: Original Album
    Side One
    1. “Alone Again Or”
    3. “Andmoreagain”
    4. “The Daily Planet”
    5. “Old Man”
    6. “The Red Telephone”

Side Two
    1. “Maybe The People Would Be The Times Or Between Clark And Hilldale”
    2. “Live And Let Live”
    3. “The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This”
    4. “Bummer In The Summer”
    5. “You Set The Scene”

17. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

18. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Rhino page:

Love - Forever Changes (50th Anniversary Edition) | Rhino

Rhino will celebrate the acclaimed album's golden anniversary with an extensive 4CD/DVD/LP collection housed in a beautifully illustrated 12 x 12 hardbound book that features a newly written essay and track-by-track notes by music historian Ted Olsen. FOREVER CHANGES: 50th ANNIVERSARY EDITION will be available on April 6 for $99.98.

19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

20. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

A shame they didn't put the quad mix on the DVD as well. I think Steve said that one existed.

21. golobali

golobali Forum Resident

Count me out for this edition but count me in for a 4LP-edition.

22. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Wasn’t the mono just a fold down?

I have the 2cd deluxe with the alternate stereo mix and most of these bonus tracks, and the excellent rhino LP. Dont think I’ll be springing for this one

23. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

A few years back, I listened to a mono version of the album on youtube. If memory serves, it seemed that on two of the tracks, there were subtle differences from the stereo. I think Daily Planet was one of them, though my ageing memory may be wrong on that.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

All I can think of is John Huston's quote from "Chinatown" Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough." :p

25. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Steve has stated that it is a dedicated mix, but that he isn't fond of the mono mix.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.