Low-ball CD trade-in blues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nashreed, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nashreed

nashreed New Member Thread Starter

Anybody else finding their CD's to be not worth as much at the 'ol CD store :cry:

I went to a CD store today because I had a shoppin' jones. Didn't have much cash, so I figured now would be a good time to trade in my MoFi UDII's of "Aja" and "Tommy". I figured I could get $10 each or so for them in trade at least. I was told I could get $6, FOR BOTH! What! :bigeek: Now, I realize that these two are two of the more common MoFi's, and that the UDII's suck, but still--they are gold CD's! (It shouldn't matter either that I changed the lift-lock cases with...regular cases :sigh: ) You'd think that the computer that the dude checked them on would flash an "EBAY" sign at him (the dude probably didn't know "Tommy" from "Iommi") or something. :confused: Well, I didn't go for that, obviously.
    Has anyone been low-balled at the CD store recently? What's the deal?

James

2. Matt

Matt New Member

Have you tried Wherehouse music? I've seen them sell UDII's of Tommy for $30 (in fact, a local store has one in stock right now for that price). They don't seem to know the difference between UDII or UDI as both get the same $30-50 price tag (with "The Wall" going for $200). Perhaps they'll give you a better price. If you don't find a local store, try to see if you can sell it on-line at their website.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

James,
    Ebay 'em! You can set your own price and will always make more.
    Don't let those CD stores rob you! A fair CD store will give you half of their selling price. Still lacking in my department!
    Michael

4. nashreed

nashreed New Member Thread Starter

Ummmmm....
    I work at a Wherehouse Music. :o
    I could sell them there and get more- but, I really can't because then there's the whole (my) discount thing, etc.

When customers come in with CD's to sell, I usually am very fair. They usually have a lot-o crap, but if we don't have any copies, I'll take it. It may come up a penny- but I try to bump it up to a couple of bucks. Someone may want it.

Yeah, some of the prices we sell used "rarities" for is unbelievable! I could sell my MoFi "Who's Next" to us. I'd get $20-$25, but we sell it for $119!

James

5. Matt

Matt New Member

Ah. Well, you could try e-bay, or if you're more patient, try half.com and set your price.

I remember a time when Wherehouse sold Mofi's for a flat $15 price. $15! This was a year after Mofi went under. Man, the local Wherehouse was like an audiophile paradise for awhile...

6. Ben

Ben New Member

Re: Re: Low-ball CD trade-in blues

Absolutely! Them eBayers love those gold CD's!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.