Low hum question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by imsjry, Oct 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can anyone explain why when i have my system plugged into one outlet, I get a low hum in every input regardless of volume level and when I run the same power to another outlet six feet away in the same room, the hum totally disappears?

Thank you in advance.

2. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

Just to be clear. In either case all the system is plugged into the same outlet....
    All into hum causing outlet or all plugged into the non hum outlet.

Possible problem, the duplex receptacle outlet is not wired correctly. Do you have a multimeter?

Buy one of these.
    Power Gear 3-Wire Receptacle Tester-50542 - The Home Depot

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  3. imsjry

Yes correct. I have all equipment into a surge protected power strip then plugging that into the wall. In one outlet, hum. In the other in the same room, no hum.

I do not have a multimeter currently.

4. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

The outlet that gives hum may not be on the same circuit as the clean sounding one. If this is the case then it is possible an item causing the hum is on the humming outlet circuit. Try to identify what is plugged into the hum outlet circuit and unplug each one at a time. If the hum goes away with an "unplug" you have found the source. Note the orientation of each plug you remove as simply reversing it in the outlet may fix the original hum. Another possibility is that the entire circuit has a bad ground. I suspect it is from some device that is plugged in already. If you find the causing item come back and list it as there may be a simple fix to make it good to be on the circuit. The outlet itself may need to have the ground tightened. The item shown is a handy one to have in the house. For a small cost it will tell you if the ground is present but it still may need tightening. Also it will tell you if the outlet is wired correctly. If you find an issue it will also tell you that you have the power off to the outlet if you elect to do the tightening or rewiring yourself. Never go to touch or work on an outlet you have not confirmed the power is off from it.

Claude M likes this.
  5. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

I would have an electrician check the ground on the one that hums.

6. imsjry

But i am basically taking the multi-strip with all my gear and moving it to another outlet and the hum is gone. So doesn't that prove that it isn't a specific piece of gear causing it?

7. Ingenieur

Pretty much

I assume the strip as 3 pins?
    Each receptacle is a duplex? 2 plugs
    On the 'hummer' does it hum in both? Upper & lower?
    And not hum in both on the 'no hummer'?

8. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

Florescent lights maybe?

9. anothertribe

anothertribe Forum Resident

Low Hum of High Priced Toys...?

Melvin, jonwoody and coolhandjjl like this.
  10. Ingenieur

Or dimmer on same circuit?

11. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

Does the surge protector power strip have status indicating lights?

Like one lit light for protected and another lit light for grounded? Maybe a third indicating light for fault?

Plug the protector in the good wall outlet and check the lights status. Then plug the protector in the bad outlet. Are the lit lights status the same? If there is a fault light is it lit?

Did you check, as someone suggested, if both outlets on the same branch circuit?

12. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Obviously the two receptacles are on different circuits.

13. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

I see what you did there...

anothertribe and Roycer like this.
  14. imsjry

I will check the high/low taps on each. Never thought to do that.

15. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

What I meant was another "anything". It could be a Toaster, I don't know. I was speaking to a non audio item.

imsjry likes this.
  16. Ingenieur

Perhaps
    Only 1 could have a loose ground

imsjry likes this.
  17. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

What RiCat said. Also, see if you can borrow a multi-meter and make sure when you connect the meter between the taller slotted connector (neutral) and the middle round one (ground) you have 0 VAC. It could be a cracked outlet, a loose breaker in the box or the wires are loose on the outlet as stated by RiCat or the wires are loose on the breaker end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.