LP Cleaning Techniques(Without Machine)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by reidc, Feb 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceNine

IceNine New Member

Record Cleaning

I have owned a VPI machine for years and have experimented with various cleaning fluids and techniques. Finally, I have discovered the Disc Doctor cleaning system which you can use with or without a vacuum machine - with great results.

Without question, each treated record sounds better than it did before it was treated. Blacker backround, smoother highs - even the cleaning brush makes less noise... Try it.

Tom Port at Better Records carries all of the stuff you need...:D

2. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Even new records benefit.

Cleaned an EWF record two days ago. Wow!

Cracked a brand new one open to compare it.

Sounded like a cassette.

I am not kidding! DD is a miracle. Buy it from anybody, but buy it.

TP

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I've been using the Disc Doctor product for years and it is superb. All the posts about it are true, true, true. I just want to add one slight bit of caution. Be very aware of when it's time to replace the velvet pads. I've sometimes let them go a bit and I've damaged some records because of it. It seems when the velvet wears out in some plays then there's a chance of gettting some glue residue into the grooves and I still haven't figured out a way to clean it out with out making things worse. Perfect product but just change the pads when it's time to do it...

Todd

4. IceNine

IceNine New Member

So when are the DD pads worn out? How many surfaces will they make it through before replacement - estimate, of course...

5. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I think the pads last for something like 200-300 records. In my case less because I do some mean scubbing. One of my arms looks like Arnie's and the other looks like Don Knott's (just kidding). You can easily tell when they're starting to reach replacement time. They look, well, worn? The velvet is worn off in some areas reaching danger, danger zone. It's my fault when I had some of my reported mishaps because I was riding the pad's gas-tank to empty out of pure laziness or "oh no, I've got to order more pads" and putting it off. Despite my warning, it is a brilliant product and I very highly recommend it!!

Todd

6. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Just had a long conversation with the disc doctor.

The Man is a genius.

His product works miracles.

Anybody who wants the low down need only buy some and all will be revealed.
    TP

7. IceNine

IceNine New Member

Funny, I had a long conversation with him, too this afternoon.
    He does NOT believe that the two rinse system, especially with the VPI, is really doing any good, and told me to go back to the "old way". Also, I ordered some of his CD cleaner and will post on that after I've had some experience.
    Unfortunately, the one thing we alll wish for in a cleaner the DD cannot do - make crappy sounding LP's sound any good at all. Humorem is usually right.... (don't get carried away, though)

8. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Well, it's a little more complicated than that. It always is, isn't it? I wouldn't say that Dwayne believes any such thing. And furthermore...

If you do a second rinse, and the record gets quieter, I don't need the disc doctor to tell me it doesn't work. I have ears for that. When my ears and others people's opinions--even those that know a great deal more about the subject than I--are in conflict, I go with my ears. Always have, always will. (Dwayne has the same speakers, the Fulton Premiere, that I had in 1985. I recommended the Legacy Focus, of which SH is very fond, as a big step up, because speakers have come a long way, baby.)

Any customer who buys fluid from me will be advised as to what I think is the best way to use it. He may then decide to use it whichever way he finds works best for him.

This is true for EVERYTHING in audio, that I can think of at the moment anyway.

Regards,
    TP

9. Clark Johnsen

Clark Johnsen New Member

Second the views on Disc Doctor!

But I've also had good results from Record Research. Only they don't have the DD applicators...

clark

10. IceNine

IceNine New Member

There is nothing wrong with a second rinse, according to Duane; but you have to make sure that the distilled water still has at least a little bit of the wetting agent from the cleaner in order to be useful.
    What he warns against is using the pump from the VPI cleaner because the distilled water can get contaminated from being in the tank, and the same for the VPI brush applicator.
    If you, Humorem, say the records get quieter from a second rinse, I certainly believe you; but I will follow Duane's recommendation regarding putting just a a drop of the cleaner into the second rinse water...Live and Learn and Live some more...

11. reidc

reidc Senior Member Thread Starter

All of this sounds extremely interesting. I bought an LP last week that LOOKED absolutely mint- something that will never end up on CD. Bought it only to archive it to CD.

Played it, and it sounded like a machine gun- with so much "crackle- crackle- pop" not a quiet spot anywhere. I had been trying a bit of Joy and water, and a good rinse- just to get a quiet play. After 4 tries- its 90% better.

I have been reading some of the testimonials of Disc Doctor fluid- I am actually thinking Tom gets a piece of every batch sold(j/k Tom)!

Who is Duane that you are all refering to? I am going to try out this stuff, but by the time I buy the fluid and brushes, and whatever else- I am probably up around $100 right?

Thanks
    Chris

12. Humorem

Humorem New Member

I do it! I think the double rinse is a good idea so far and so I took his advice about the drop of fluid.
    TP

13. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Closer to $60, and I believe in the stuff enough to offer a 100% money back guarantee for the DD products.
    TP

14. The comments about the effectiveness of Lysol Direct really tickled me, I have been using that stuff off-and-on since late '87, and was always pleased with the results.

Never got into the distilled water business, though.

15. IceNine

IceNine New Member

Sounds like we should get poor Duane involved in the conversation. After all, we are boosting him and his bottom line; and he would be a great contributor. For those of you who asked, Duane IS the Disc Doctor...
    He, like Humorem, is one of those folks who doesn't mind spending the time with you on the phone giving advice and helping you out. He spent quite a bit of time with me Friday explaining the second rinse that I posted - and I gave him a nice order in the meantime. One hand washes the other (bad analogy).

16. Humorem

Humorem New Member

You might want to mention the "three plays before the needle traces the groove right" theory.
    TP

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Ice has the right idea. We are lucky enough to have some outstanding contributors here from all parts of the spectrum.

Reards,
    Metralla

18. Humorem

Humorem New Member

People complain that Duane has an arrogant, know-it-all attitude.

I don't have a problem with that! He's got the goods to back it up! Not surprisingly, I find him a kindred spirit and get along with him just fine.

If you are one of those people that gets so deep into something you come out the other side, whatever that thing is, I have nothing but respect for you--as long as you actually produce something real in this world that confirms your efforts were fruitful.

As they used to say about Marxist labor theory, you can expend labor making mud pies, or you can expend labor making cherry pies. It ain't the labor, it's what you have to show for it.

Steve has his CDs and LPs, Duane has his record cleaning fluids, and I have my... uh... opinions about records?

Nevermind. (And it started out so good too...):D

TP

19. Andy

Andy New Member

So you guys put a drop of the cleaner in the rinse water when you use Disc Doctor fluid?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.