LP cover split seam

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by sunking101, Mar 25, 2024.

1. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It wasn't sealed.

2. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

IMO this falls outside the guidelines of the grading system.
    Seamsplit are usually accompanied with other cover defects and are graded by Discogs (Goldmine) as:

Good (G), Good Plus( G+)

A container, cover, or sleeve will have scratches or seam splits, especially at the bottom or on the spine.
    Tape, writing, or other defects will also be present.

But your cover is like Mint for the rest of it.
    So it's more like what the madman wants to spend.

sunking101 likes this.
  3. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

Is a 2010 pressing really that rare? I would think many of them are still in NM condition.
    Did you take a look in Discogs to see what's offered?

4. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

This is a 2010 release, paid 40. I was thinking you were talking about a rare item of considerable value. If it is a tuff to get record, take the 10% and move on, we are not talking about a 1st press UK Abbey Road, or Dark Side.

Cronverc, AaronW and Shawn like this.
  5. sunking101

£40 for a 'mint' record in 'mint' cover with a ruddy great seam split. £40 for a secondhand LP might be nothing to you but I for one am sick of buying and receiving overgraded/damaged vinyl. I just asked for some opinions. There are always those who feel their opinions are more worthy than the subject matter.

grouploner and astro70 like this.
  6. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

If the record was shipped inside the sleeve, it is obviously the fault of the seller. In such cases I usually only accept a 50% refund in case I want to keep the record.

sunking101 and eddiel like this.
  7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You can counter but I don't think the seller will go up enough to meet what you think is fair. But you could try. Just say something like, "Considering the damage I'd like a refund of £X. If that doesn't work for you, that's fine, let me know and I'll start the return process via eBay"

Since this is an eBay transaction you can get your return postage covered. Call eBay, confirm if you need to, especially if the seller is not in the UK, how you would get that sorted out.

Nothing wrong with what @krisjay suggested either. If it's hard to find then taking 10% might make more sense. If not, just return it.

You aren't going to get 100% satisfaction with this transaction at this point and all you can do is try and get as close to that as possible.

astro70, sunking101 and AaronW like this.
  8. Postcard

Postcard Back in the garage…….

Ebay has a return policy for item arrived damaged.
    Return postage usually falls to the seller.

astro70 likes this.
  9. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I wasn't suggesting that you actually did damage it, just that many sellers who sell a volume of records will probably say that they've seen/heard just about everything and thinking this is a possibility at their end. Anyway, do whatever you feel comfortable with.

As far as what is "right," as others have said, every situation is different, but I would say that 25% is probably the sweet spot for that kind of issue in most cases, as opposed to 10%. But as I said earlier - for me personally, I'm not haggling with somebody over damaged merchandise, especially in this case where the difference is just a few pounds. If I wanted something mint when I ordered it, that's ultimately what I want.

sunking101 likes this.
  10. I doubt any seller is going to give you a partial refund of 50% for a single seam split.

astro70 and Shawn like this.
  11. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Buying second hand item from a person online and buying brand-new item from the store, especially a real local store in person, are usually two very different experiences.
    Of course, I know that nowadays any record store sells their best stuff online and many great records will never show up in the actual bins locally. I don't like it either, but that is life :cry:. From my experience in record collecting, You will have to take a loss once in a while. That is unavoidable, unfortunately.

12. If the seller doesn’t specifically mention placing the LP outside of the cardboard jacket in their listing I put this request in the ‘notes to seller’ section. If it’s someone who never sells records I also add to ‘keep it in its inner sleeve’.

astro70 likes this.
  13. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Here’s my favorite response as of late I’ve received when asking eBay sellers to ship the LP outside the jacket…

“I'm sorry, I just saw your message 'Please ship the LPs outside the jacket to prevent seam splits. Thanks' now. I already shipped the item today. Sorry about that. It's packed well, so I wouldnt worry.”

I have no doubt this thin, direct to board gatefold, housing 2 180g LPs is going to get absolutely destroyed in the mail…

This is the second time I’ve had a seller reply after shipping, completely missing my request. The first time it was a NM/NM UK Saucerful of Secrets that the seller told me they bought when DSOTM came out but didn’t like it so only listened a couple times. Of course the LP showed up with the top seam busted through.

It’s a complicated situation because the records always show up undamaged, but had I known the jacket would have a seam split, I may not have bought the LPs. Fortunately both instances here, I paid well below what these pressings usually go for, but I’m still disappointed and annoyed that the records I received/will receive are not in the condition I purchased them in. I take good care of my records. All of the records I have bought new are still in NM condition, both records and jackets. It’s a shame to add beat up records to my shelves just because the people I buy them from can’t be bothered to take a couple seconds to check the request box on the order, or just watch a quick youtube tutorial on how to ship a record.

14. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Hah! You’d think the inner sleeve part would be common sense… Unfortunately I have had more than one LP that would otherwise be very clean, show up covered in scuffs from it bouncing around against the cardboard mailer because the seller shipped it outside both the jacket AND the sleeve… :doh:

Shawn likes this.
  15. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Nor should they. A seam split would not cause the record to be worth that much less, and frankly most people won’t even care. It’s collectors like myself and the rest of us in this thread who care.

Shawn and TheVillageRecorder like this.
  16. I hate seam splits from shipping too. I can see a seller giving maybe 20% of the purchase price back, but a buyer thinking they should get 50% back is a bit over the top. At that point, just return it for a full refund.

Shawn and astro70 like this.
  17. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Definitely agree. A 50% discount (in the rare case where it makes sense) would be if for instance it’s a rare record not likely to come up for sale again, but has a skip or groove wear or something. 20% off for shipping damage seems reasonable.

TheVillageRecorder likes this.
  18. sunking101

You forget that we pay top dollar for the Mint rating so when a cover arrives with a massive ugly seam split it significantly affects the rating and thus in my book the value. If EX/EX goes for say £20 and you pay £45 for M/M then how much should be knocked off when it arrives NM*/VG? (*they always overgrade)

TheVillageRecorder and astro70 like this.
  19. I don't disagree on a discount, but 50% for a seam split is over the top.

astro70 likes this.
  20. Again, just return it.

mstoelk and astro70 like this.
  21. sunking101

I did a couple of days ago.

22. RichardChaney

RichardChaney Member

I understand your disappointment at the damage sustained on a record described as mint. There aren't many options, but it's worth weighing them up. If the content is more important, consider keeping the record for a partial refund. Otherwise, a full refund may be preferable.

23. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Double whammy today! First, a record sent OUTSIDE the jacket, but also OUTSIDE the inner sleeve... Thankfully it looks to be okay since it was inside a plastic outer sleeve.

But here's the package I mentioned above that was "packed well"...
    Miraculously, the jacket did not get split in shipping and I now have an ORG Mingus Ah Um I paid only $30 for :p
    I suppose this is a *minor* step up from an old pizza box...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Bigsweetc6

Bigsweetc6 Forum Resident

Just return it. If it’s from 201o you can probably find another similarly priced copy of discogs or eBay. In my opinion a measly seam split is not worth a 50 percent reduction. You don’t play the cover! If the LP is mint and it sounds great, I say take the ten percent off and keep it.