LP Gear Bin 323 MC cart

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LitHum05, Mar 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura Thread Starter

Anyone have experience with this cartridge?

LP Gear BIN 323 phono cartridge

I’m using it as an alternative to the Denon DL-110. I’m wondering if anyone has any set up tips, things to listen for, info on differences in VTA, VTG, etc. I’m still in the break in period. I’m really liking what I’m hearing. Maybe a bit bass-shy but the soundstaging and details are phenomenal. I’m surprised there isn’t much info on this cart in the SH forums.

2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Curious what's your tonearm mass and resonant frequency? It does look like a nice low cost MC cart, very lightweight too so assume it is high compliance.

3. LitHum05

Not sure. I have a Denon DP-1100 vintage turntable with a curved arm. It’s supposed to accept carts from 5g to about 14g. This cart is 4g but I have not experienced any problems. Sounds very open, detailed, sophisticated. A bit bass shy but wouldn’t trade back to the MM cart I was using. High end is addictive.

Yes, I’m using it with a vintage receiver. No sound problems. Same as the Denon DL-110. But honestly better although a tad more expensive.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

Looks like a rebadged Excel.

patient_ot likes this.
  5. LitHum05

Is that generally considered a good cart?

6. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

It sure does look like the MC-100 doesn't it. And the Benz Micro MC-20E2, just without the gold or red paint. So it's a good guess that these LP Gear cartridges are being made by Excel Sound Corp. in Japan.

jeff

PhilBiker and patient_ot like this.
  7. tumbleweed

Seems to be well thought of, although one might question of the puffery of "a most exceptional cartridge" and "breakthrough cartridge". Decent yes, OMG phenomenal perhaps not. One advantage would seem to be the line contact stylus on LPGear's version over the normal elliptical.

PhilBiker and LitHum05 like this.
  8. LitHum05

The stylus definitely accounts for the high level of detail. Very good. I think it’s still breaking in after about 8 hours. The bass is light, but from what I know all MC carts tend to be light here. It’s like detailed speakers. On the whole though I can really get used to this combo. And keep in mind I use vintage speakers that many here would think are crap. I’m not hearing the best of the cart, etc. But I wonder what the bass would be like without large speakers. Also, listening through headphones confirms this is a really good cart.

9. tumbleweed

I'll be devil's advocate here and point out that this body, in one form or another, has been around for at least ten years...not that there's anything wrong with that. Most of the carts I use date back to the '80s or even older. It's not rocket science, but good engineering is still good engineering.

If you want a taste of Excel's latest thinking, you have to consider the new Hana series that everyone seems to be over-the-moon about.

patient_ot likes this.
  10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Except it's not a real line contact or advanced shape. More marketing B.S. from LPG.

5 x 20 um = .2 x .7 mil, so a finer than average elliptical but still an elliptical more than likely. LPG is also known for pulling crap like this.

11. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Looking for a replacement for my almost worn out DL-110. May go back to an AT, though the Denon's are very musical carts.
    I would consider this cart. The high-output MC's are nice (imo).

LitHum05 likes this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'd be very curious how different a Hana EH is internally and performance-wise.

Cart technology really hasn't changed that much since the 80s. You've got some novel designs at the high-end occasionally and some little tweaks here and there. AFAIK no new stylus shape has been patented since the late 80s.

13. LitHum05

That’s how I got to this point. For some reason the Denon always wound up creating problems for me. After 40 hours of use, I’d start getting static, pops, etc. and without having messed with the settings. When the Denon was good, it was good—stunning even. When it wasn’t it was a headache. For some reason, not the best match for my turntable (a Denon, no less!). So far so good with this LP Gear cart. The specs are similar to the Denon. I haven’t decided which one sounds better just yet. But whichever it is, they are in the same ballpark.

Chris Schoen and struttincool like this.
  14. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The existing elliptical cut stylus is probably as optimal as it can get for physical vinyl playback. Laser is probably the next level, if it can be done affordably.

15. Raphael Mabo

Raphael Mabo Music nerd

LP Gear BIN cartridges are indeed made by Excel Sound Corp. in Tokyo, Japan. This is a good thing! Excel has during the years produced many fine cartridges over the years, both for their own brand and also for other brands. Currently they are making the highly regarded Hana series of cartridges. They also works with Sumiko and produces all of their cartridges. I believe that they are also behind the new Cambridge Audio HOMC cartridge.
    Now, the LP Gear BIN is indeed a new version of the Excel MC100E, and with different specifications than the Benz MC20E. This is known to be a musical cartridge with an easy going and a bit warm character. The body is upgraded with new materials and tighter tolerances. It's a fine line elliptical in the BIN 323, more advanced than the standard elliptical in the Hana EL/EH and at a lower price.

Chris Schoen, PhilBiker and Benzion like this.
  16. LitHum05

Made in Japan, indeed. I took a pic of the side of the box to upload and then remembered about the exterior website for pics. Forgot how to do it already.

17. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I would like to see it.
    imgur dot com. Upload the pic there. Right click in the displayed pic there and "Copy Image" (not "Copy Image Address"). In your comment here, right click and "Paste". Done.

LitHum05 likes this.
  18. LitHum05

19. LitHum05

20. LitHum05

21. LitHum05

22. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

The compliance is about 18, by Western units. I'd say medium.

Davey and patient_ot like this.
  23. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

From the looks of it, I'd guess Excel also manufactures the Shelter cartridges.

patient_ot likes this.
  24. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Not really different units, just a different test method, but I agree, it would probably be labeled medium compliance. Might even be lower, the static compliance is listed as only 15, typically it is much higher.

25. LitHum05

What I can tell you is that it takes another notch or two on the volume control to get it where the Denon DL-110 output was with my last cart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.