LP Gear branded Ortofon OM30/OM40 tips?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Boltman92124, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!! Thread Starter

2. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

I'm curious too as I have an OM30. This would certainly be the way to go as long as the quality is there. I hope someone has had experience with these...

3. Boltman92124

Plus they have a nude elliptical for the OM20 for about $109.00.

4. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Following

5. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

They share the same tip dimensions, I've always wondered whether calling a stylus "Vivid Line" is just a dodge to avoid paying JVC a royalty for the Shibata trademark (patents expire, trademarks do not).

ANYWAY... I've used a Vivid Line on an Audio Technica and thought it sounded very nice. A nice cross between an elliptical and a Microline.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  6. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

The LP Gear Vivid Line isn't very well defined, though it is generally a bonded stylus. They have the Super Vivid Line for nude stylus, but not many available.

The descriptions are often a bit incomplete too, or even misleading, so if you don't have a good microscope to verify, no telling what you might be getting :)

7. Phil Thien

Do you recall any of the models that are nide Vivid Line?

I think they sell some of the nude elliptical "black diamond" styli, didn't know there were any nude Vivid models.

8. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

No, some of the Vivid Line are listed as titanium bonded, so it's not clear, but they make a point of saying nude for the Super Vivid Line.

I should note that this information is from others, partially from a thread on vinylengine, I'm just conveying it and I don't have any proof as to which stylus they sell are nude or bonded. It came up on another board a few days ago so just passing it on, but can't guarantee the accuracy, so apologies to all if not accurate.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  9. Phil Thien

Looks like the "Super Vivid" type are reserved to their Vessel line of cartridges. I couldn't find "Super Vivid" for anything else.

Though I don't know that I put as much stock into the nude/bonded thing as others. I have some pretty sweet-sounding 3x7 bonded ellipticals, and the bonded Vivid sounded very good.

10. Boltman92124

They do name the OM40 stylus as Shibata.

11. Phil Thien

And charge more.

I'd like to get them both under a scope.

12. Boltman92124

Can't decide on whether to try one of these out. They are both in stock at LP Gear. The lady told me they come in basic packaging with no spec sheet or anything else. She said to use the same settings as OEM Ortofon 30. I like the sound of my OM10 and am curious. So Yay or Nay from the gallery??

13. Phil Thien

I was able to get a new Stylus 30 on eBay for about $175. Obviously you have to wait/be patient, but mine works great.

I'd avoid a new-old-stock model, the one that tracks at 1.25g, unless you know you're equipped for it. I see those appear, I wanted the latest model.

You have to take LPGear's VTF suggestions with a grain of salt, too, I think. To equal OEM tracking ability, you may need to increase tracking force slightly. Not a huge deal, as long as it doesn't result in too low a rider.

Also, there are less expensive ways to get their VividLine stylus. The same diamond is available for some Audio-Technica cartridges for as little as $70 or $80. I think LPGear is taking advantage of the somewhat overpriced Ortofon styli.

Not much help, sorry.

In the final analysis, I would say on this particular "deal," nay.

14. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Do it

15. Boltman92124

Just coming back to this since some are interested. I have tried out the $30 EVG/Black Diamond nude stylus from the seller on EBay. Honestly, I wasn't impressed. It wasn't an improvement on the OM10 IMO. In fact, it is more sibilant and less dynamic. I even prefer the Omega stylus to it(a surprisingly good sounding needle!).

Maybe I got a bad one? Does it need break in time? Maybe I'll give it another chance but moving on to considering the LP Gear tips, but with more apprehension on getting third party.

uzn007 likes this.
  16. Phil Thien

I have tried two Black Diamond styli, they were both garbage. One of those was the OM.

By the time you have VTF high enough to track properly, the body is dangerously close to the vinyl.

17. Boltman92124

Yeah $30 lesson learned I guess. I had it at about 1.75g. First thing I noticed were the slurred ssssssss's. I'm gonna pass on the LP Gear stylus' as well. I really just want a little more out of the OM10 since I do like the sound a lot.

luckybaer likes this.
  18. Phil Thien

Watch eBay for 20's and 30's, I've seen real 20's go for not much more than $125 and I have purchased 30's for $175.

Ortofon stuff is way overpriced for what it is.

uzn007 likes this.
  19. Phil Thien

Are you going to update the thread at VinylEngine with your findings?

There seems to be a lot of Black Diamond love over there, probably a lot of people buying the same styli that don't work so well.

20. I'm also interested in the LP Gear copies. Not long ago I bought at OM30 and put it on a OMP -10 for use on a Technics SL-10. The combination is best I've had on the SL-10. I'm very interested in LP Gears version of the OM40 and maybe the 20 too.

21. Boltman92124

I forgot which thread that is. Did I write it? I'll take a look. Thanks.

22. Derek Harold Nicholls

Derek Harold Nicholls World Class 12'' arms Temaad

Hi, Those prices are amazingly cheap & the OM30 is a compelling buy. However I would watch out for the Shibata on the OM40 as they are notoriously (the hibata shape) difficult to set up to get the correct SRA angle.

Cheers

23. CharlesS

CharlesS Forum Resident

I had unfortunate accident with my OM30, luckily I did get a year out of it before it went kaput.
    So I was looking into a replacement but not wanting to drop $300+ for a new one.
    I went with the LP Gear Vivid Line contact stylus for $129, esp due to quote above from Phil on its sound.
    I always enjoyed the OM20 and the OM30 was great but at times, maybe with my modest setup, I felt I could prefer the OM20 but I like the added micro detail of the OM30.

The Vivid Line has the following characteristics:

1) Seems to be less compliant, I need to run the VTF higher than the OM30 in order to get the best out of it.
    2) Doesn't ride as low as the OM30, even with higher VTF, stiffer suspension I suppose. I like this as the OM30 rode very low.
    3) Less overall bass fullness, but it is tight sounding nonetheless. Upping the VTF to 1.715 got it sounding great IMO and bass is much fuller and still tight sounding.
    4) Smoother on top than the OM30, mids are very nice and very detailed. I feel I am hearing the same detail that I enjoyed from the OM30 but without any top end zing or harshness.

To be fair, I have gotten better at aligning the stylus, some of the occasional harshness from the OM30 could have been attributed to stylus being a touch off on alignment, big things esp with line contacts.
    Still I quite like the Vivid Line, and I am currently enjoying a lot of music using it.

Seems a winner to me, although it only passed the 1st +12db anti-skate band on the Hi-Fi News LP it tracks extremely well with all my Lps, very quite and I am experiencing ZERO IGD. :)

I would like to try the Shibata version next, I just wanna be sure the diamond is indeed different than the "line contact" I have now.

Any thoughts on the Shibata? Is it a different cut? The dimensions are stated the same on LP Gear website.

24. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I find it hard to do business with someone you can't talk to on the phone. I don't think they even publish a phone number. Seems there are as many complaints about LPGear than compliments. I do peruse their site from time to time but can't bring myself to take a chance ordering anything from them.

Phil Thien likes this.
  25. Boltman92124

Never had a problem. Lots of orders. Good follow up on orders via email([email protected] or [email protected]) and also through Facebook messenger. Very fast delivery too although I'm in So Cal and they are just over in Henderson, NV. Elizabeth is a lady who helped me recently.