LP people: What do you prefer on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ed the Dog, Nov 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed the Dog

Ed the Dog Forum Resident Thread Starter

Happy Thanksgiving.

1/3 (or maybe 3/7) of my collection are CDs. I play LPs (or 12"s) 3/4 (or maybe 5/7) of the time. Combining the cost of my analogue and digital playback replacement value (no amp or speakers) my analogue front end is 3/4 of that value. I would say I'm between a 5/6 to 7/8 analogue person (I try to teach English BTW, duh)

So, ifn you're like me a 5/6 to 7/8 LP person what do you absolutely prefer on CD?

For me it's the first two Public Enemy records Nation and Fear and especially Fear: it just ain't no good. I'll use the argument that many use against CDs: it's compressed and lifeless.

I also really like King Crimson's Discipline CD off the Pigtronix? release. The original CD, however, comparatively was awful, screetchy, to the LP.

With all this B2G1 I'm wondering if I should move to a solid 15/34 CD dude.

What do you like?

2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I prefer everything on CD except for 12" dance records which regularly hit the turntable, about 11/32.

audiomixer and c-eling like this.
  3. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

At home, anything I cannot get on LP- A good example would be Steve Wynn's recent Decade boxed CD set- all hard to find or non-existent on LP but I love having them on CD so I can hear them.
    In the car, any CD of things I like to hear in the car.
    I would say around 15 to 18% of the albums I have are on CD and a fair number of those I also have on vinyl.

4. Ed the Dog

Most people do. However, most of my stuff is pre 2000 and I never stopped buying LPs. Recently (the past 5 years) I've been picking up CDs in second hand stores if they're $1 or less even of stuff I already have. I'm wondering if there is anything newly released on these B2G1 sales that sound incredible compared to the LP. I recently picked up Kronos 's Winter was Hard; other than some absent clicks I won't reach for it as the primary.

5. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

In the early 2000s, cds actually started sounding really good, and a lot wasn't easily available on vinyl. Plus, I didn't always have a working turntable. Some that come to mind are Apocalyptica's Reflections revised, Nightwish's Over the Hills and Far Away Drakkar edition, Groove Armada's Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub), and Halford's Live Insurrection.

6. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Personally, I enjoy live albums far more on CD - that continuous listening is everything to me.

Usually, my rule of thumb: which version would the artist be happiest that I’d experience will be the version I take home.

if I don’t know enough about their wishes, I default to vinyl, so I’m at least happy.

7. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

But you consider yourself an “LP Person”? Odd.

Steve62, WMTC, John Grimes and 6 others like this.
  8. Ed the Dog

Right, me too. I've had Fleetwood Mac's Albatross on CD forever. Recently picked up a newer greatest hits on LP, and it floats away so wonderfully.

Brian Lux likes this.
  9. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

??? Peak loudness wars sounds good to you?

WMTC, Carlox, andrewskyDE and 5 others like this.
  10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

When a cd sounds as good or better than the lp version. Im not format dependent or loyal. Id say 1/4 cds and 3/4 lps.

Revolver, wrat, cjc and 3 others like this.
  11. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Ambient music

apb, tedhead, lazarus and 7 others like this.
  12. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Yes, as long as I don't hear any harmonic distortion. I usually listen in less than perfect conditions, such as in the car, or over a computer.

13. Quantum Reason

Quantum Reason Forum Resident

a bit of turkey, mashed potatoes (no gravy), some peas and corn and cornbread. of course, one cant fit all that on one CD, but, you cant fault me for trying... :D:p

WMTC, D-rock and Ed the Dog like this.
  14. A awful lot of my classical music is still solely CD. The thing is, I just don't listen to CDs very often, so they are not played with as much frequency.

15. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

The only thing that determines whether I play a CD or an LP is my library.
    But if I have the album in both formats, I typically choose the CD when I am lazy and just want to lay on the couch and listen to an entire album without getting up to play two sides of vinyl.

16. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Well, those are the conditions those recordings were mastered for.

WMTC and fretter like this.
  17. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Stuff like the Dylan Bootleg series where they can cram a ton of music on to one CD as opposed to the LP where they are forced to spread it out across several discs.

Also with albums like Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms where the LP versions of (some) songs are edited down.

But nothing with regard to sound quality. Not that I can think of, anyway.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Man at C&A and thesisinbold like this.
  18. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

This may be a topic for another thread, but were there ever vinyl volume wars? I'm specifically thinking of the notorious And Justice For All (1988) by Metallica. No previous record had such thundering and separated bass drum sounds, which ended up blowing my 15" woofers.

WMTC likes this.
  19. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

Robert Johnson's Centennial Collection. Much better than the Johnson vinyl I have heard.

Adam9 and Stone Turntable like this.
  20. Ed the Dog

Yes. CDs, especially now, are so much more available and affordable. Do you have any of these titles on LP? Do they sound discernable better on CD?

21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

My favorite thing about CD's is their programmability. I turn to them when I want to hear specific songs from an album, sometimes in a specific order or to create a playlist with a variety of albums. Otherwise, nothing beats the sight of a beautiful LP spinning round the turntable.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Ed the Dog

Which titles? I don't listen to a lot of live recordings. Most recently I've listened to Durand Jones and the Indications: Durand Jones & The Indications - Live Vol. 1 , Hendrix at Monterey; https://www.discogs.com/Jimi-Hendri...l-Motion-Picture-Sound-Track/release/4346651; Zappa's Tinsel Town Rebellion: Frank Zappa - Tinsel Town Rebellion , and Barenboim plays Goldberg variations: J.S. Bach* – Daniel Barenboim - Goldberg-Variationen .

The only one on CD is the Goldberg. I don't often reach for live recordings. I have a friend who's much deeper into the hobby who loves live recordings, and I bought him the Durand Jones record. But I get the continuity thing. I had 20 or so Dead shows on tape many years ago. Because of the transientness of tapes, they're a far gone lullaby.

23. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

My coffee cup, they are great coasters.

Score17, Gasman1003 and April Snow like this.
  24. Ed the Dog

I like beets, heavy beats.

25. Ed the Dog

Exactly. Which titles?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.