LP people: What do you prefer on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ed the Dog, Nov 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

One I can identify definitively is Music of the Gothic Era by David Munrow and the Early Music Consort of London. I have both the vintage LP set and a 2 CD set produced by the Early Music Society. The LP set is good but the CD set is pure shimmering brilliance.

In my second example I'm cheating a little, because I don't have actually equivalent sets, but I have the entire Beethoven symphony cycle on CD, Blu-ray and LP, and I almost never listen to the LPs. Again, these aren't all the same sets, but the orchestra just sounds better on digital, CD especially.

2. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

3. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I tend to not listen to rock at home for some reason (too intense in my small space?) so when I'm in a rowdier mood, CDs in the car are perfect for cranking it up. I listen to other stuff driving too, of course, but that's a specific genre that really gets CD attention for me.

4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

All 1980's cd pressings of Trick sound wonderful.

5. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

I am very grateful I kept all of Prince's CDs from that time that is for sure ................I nearly donated them all at one time, but decided to box them up instead. Thankful I did.......

6. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I mostly prefer CDs to LPs for classical music. After a sometimes rocky start in the 80s, classical labels big and small have mainly gotten transfers and remasters right, notably in recent years (the big Szell box set anyone?). Otherwise mostly LPs.

pinkrudy likes this.
  7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

This is indeed correct in many cases.

8. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I am buying new vinyl releases of albums I grew up with & a few new releases & that's pretty much it. What I'd like to see happen is this:
    If you put out a deluxe box set of a classic album, Include the vinyl album as it was originally released & all the bonus tracks put on CD. My opinion.

April Snow and Marc Perman like this.
  9. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Selective editing is deceptive and not very nice either, you should be ashamed of yourself and also apologize.

10. David Sonnier

David Sonnier Forum Resident

Hi... I buy CDs if the recording was a digital mastering.. if AAA it's vinyl.. ( if AAD of ADD for example it's CD..much cheaper. )

I know a digital mastering for vinyl can sound great on vinyl ( Tone Poet series: State of the Tenor I and II ) but for me I'd just rather have the CD for digital stuff.

Lownote30 likes this.
  11. David Sonnier

David Sonnier Forum Resident

That's a good point.. the other day I played Frampton Comes Alive and hated getting up to change and flip the LPs. Even though the album is not a recording of one show, the breaks in audience roar bugged me.

WMTC and pinkrudy like this.
  12. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

I can't imagine Springsteen's Letter to You doesn't sound at least as good on CD as on vinyl, though I don't have the CD to compare it to.

I do think my Adele Live at Royal Albert Hall CD beats the studio albums on vinyl, though I don't know if that would be true for these same albums themselves.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  13. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

Yes... A lot of companies compressed the 45 single mixes of tunes to make them "pop" out of jukeboxes and for AM radio far more than their album counterparts. These are usually still quite pleasing to listen to due to both the limitations of the format and the compression technology of the time - they aren't digitally brickwalled like the CD loudness wars era - but the concept was the same.

fretter likes this.
  14. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

There is a solution... get a stacking record changer and two copies of the record. Then you can listen to the entire thing without getting up once. Of course, you'll still get short breaks while the next album drops and starts... but ya know...

David Sonnier likes this.
  15. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I prefer CD for sparse, quiet music and classical in general.

16. Country Rocker

Country Rocker Forum Resident

I have a huge collection of vinyl and CD, that I very much treasure indeed. But I'm always aware that I shouldn't rewrite my own personal listening experience. I fell in love with Abbey Road on vinyl, but fell in love with American Beauty on CD. I never want to con myself into thinking I heard them any different. Both sound great! But I guess the story of how I got there is more important to me in many respects.

17. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

Nothing... I can't think of any albums I'd rather have on CD than have an original vinyl pressing.

There is one exception to that, actually: albums recorded digitally. If it was recorded, mixed, and mastered digitally, I don't see much of a point in stamping it onto a record aside from a novelty perspective. And yes, I understand that the bitrate and whatnot used for the vinyl pressing could be far above CD sound quality. But in that case, I'd likely just get the digital download if I was being picky about bitrates...

Even digitally recorded stuff I really want to listen to I often just purchase on vinyl for ease and enjoyment of listening. Case in point James Taylor's American Standard. But those records are far and between. I probably only have four or five in my collection of thousands of albums...

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

At the time that so many LP issues of 78rpm recordings were either fake stereo, or even if they used original mono sources, they in many cases added reverb, echo, etc. they sometimes did go back to original mono sources and transferred them to digital properly for CD. Yet in other cases, the mono LPs were transferred properly but then they would later reissue them in fake stereo until the end of the original LP era and then go back and remaster the original mono on to CD and no fake stereo.

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Until they receive remixes, Rubber Soul and Revolver.

20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Live albums and compilations.

Box sets that aren't of original albums.

Stuff that costs a fortune on vinyl.

Albums with dreadful covers.

Albums with long quiet parts that surface noise is noticeable on.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Brickie and DK Pete like this.
  21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Compilations are a very good choice; quite often they'll contain a few "greatest hits" which aren't that great and I'll prefer to program them out.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I was thinking along the lines of multi artist compilations, where there's either tracks I won't want to hear or don't like. If it's a well chosen focussed compilation like the ones Ace release, I prefer them on CD because they can fit more tracks.

Single artist compilations are often better on CD too as they often have too many tracks for a single LP. Queen's Greatest Hits springs to mind. The vinyl sounds very good, but it does suffer for being nearly an hour long. It really should sound worse than it does though. Somehow UK EMI managed to make long albums still sound very good then.

Brickie and DK Pete like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Absolutely....multi artist comps is even more to the point. And point very well taken on the advantages of CD single-artist comps.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Brickie

Brickie Forum Resident

Most of my music are on CDs i love the bonus tracks, old live albums sound much better and they're easier to store.

Mine are in aluminium metal CD storage box flight carry cases.

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. Brickie

Brickie Forum Resident

I havent posted anything bad about vinyl :laugh:

Cheers,

:cheers:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Man at C&A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.