LP To CD-R Levels Low

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by reidc, Mar 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reidc

reidc Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi Kids!
    This thread might be more suitable to a CD-R site, and if deemed inappropriate- please refer me somewhere else.

I am trying to record an LP into my computer for transfer to CD(once I clean up some artifacts). In trying to set my levels- I realize that a recorded wav sourced from LP is MUCH lower volume than a wav sourced or recorded from CD.

I will assume its probably my output from my cartridge, but I would like to know if my levels can be boosted SOFTWARE wise without adding much in the way of other noise?

For reference- my hardware is YAMAHA RX-V1000 receiver, and a Bang & Olufson Turntable with B & O MMC-3 Cartridge(moving coil).

For Computer hardware and software, I am using an Atlon 1200- plenty of drive space and 256 meg memory. Soundcard is a SB-Live Value(non 5.1). I have the line input on the card plugged into the receiver output. For Software- I am using WavLab 3.04, although I don't know too much about using it. I use it, mainly for recording of "LIVE Concerts" on VHS- Hifi- because I can easily add track markers for recording to CD.

Anyway- I don't know the output level of my Cartridge, or how I can boost it(short of borrowing a turntable with MM cartridge), or whether I can fix this with software.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don';t use Wavelab but you should be able to normalize the peaks to 98% or so. If you want to go where commercial CDs are you have to use RMS norm,alization but you may compromise the dynamics, depending on the musical style and the amount of boost/compression/limiting you'll have to use to get there.

If you are using a Soundblastr "LIve" Card you do NOT want to record as loud as possible because SB cards clip at around 90%.

Since you are using a computer you can do your work in 32-bit float. You'll get less degradation of sound.

3. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Make sure you check the MIXER for BOTH the Wavelab and Windows. Sometimes you can change the levels in a program and they don't always effect the one in Window's itself located by double-clicking on the little yellow speaker on the start bar. You could also use the MIC input to your soundcard and turn down the input level-- or turn off the 20db boost that is usually built in for the MIC input.

4. reidc

reidc Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions guys. As for settting levels- yes I was max'd out for my line input, and yes I have an SB-Live card.

Upon playback of the wav- I get a slight hum immediattely. Even when just listening through my Stereo- I really have to crank up the volume when playing an LP. Soon as I put in a CD- I get blasted.

I tried using the mic input- but forget that- horrible. I also tried borrowing another turntable thats been in the family for 15 years, but hasn't had any play on the last 10. Its a Technics SLQ300 with an old Shure Presence cartridge(moving magnet).

Normal playback SEEMS louder using turntable, but again upon recording the wav- it seems shallow in volume.

Would a seperate pre-amp plugged into cd or VCR input work better? Would would be a decent preamp to try?

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.