LP to DVD-R?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by metalbob, Oct 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anyone actually done this? Say for example, you copied an LP to your harddrive at 24/96 and then either burned it on your PC or lined back out to a DVD burner, would this retain the frequency range of a DVD disc? Or just skipped the PC altogether and dumped vinyl right onto a free-standing DVD-R unit?

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

The stand alone units record in Dolby Digital, so there wouldn't be much point. DVD does support 24/96, but I'm not sure what software supports making your own. I don't think DVD Studio Pro (mac) does, but I haven't looked for that capability either. Our G4 doesn't have a 24/96 input board.

3. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I thought about the same thing. But I haven't seen any dvd-r software that'll do 24/96 (at least the non pro sw). Everything seems to be geared to making home videos.

Of course you could just record 24/96 wav files and just save them to dvd-r as a dvd-rom data disc. But you could only play back the files back thru the pc.

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

>>>Geez, theres gotta be SOMETHING that will record the audio portion of a DVD-R in 24/96. I know there is software that you use with your own multitrack files that allows you to create a 5.1 DVD. a lot of bands are doing this now and using still shots and booking info for the video portion.

5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Well, DVD Studio Pro doesn't MAKE the DD tracks or the PCM tracks, it just lets you import them into a DVD format. So, it's conceivable that if you had a 24/96 PCM file, you could also import that. I'm just not sure if you can.

6. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I got this from Apple's website:

DVD Studio Pro accepts audio streams in these formats: PCM audio (AIFF, SoundDesigner, or WAVE format, 16- or 24-bit resolution, 48 or 96 kHz sample rate, stereo or mono files); MPEG audio (MPEG-1, layer 2 audio, 48 kHz resolution, 32 to 384 Kbps data rate; MPEG-2 audio is not supported); Dolby AC-3 audio.

Apple DVD Studio Pro Knowledge Base

Just so happens that a guy I work with has this setup at home. So we're going to try it out soon, maybe next week.

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I believe I can probably do a 24/48 DVD, which I think I'll look into.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.