LP's that have NOT held their value over the decades.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BrentB, Mar 17, 2023.

1. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler Thread Starter

We are all amazed at how some records that sold for 1.00 NM just 12 years ago have gone well over $20 or more these days. How about those that have done just the opposite? Some values have dropped because a CD version was finally released and others simply because interest was diminished. A couple of examples.

Badfinger/Straight Up- In the 80's and 90's a NM LP of this was bringing near 50.00. Non-cutouts were bringing even more. Nowadays I see US and UK copies at NM for around 12-15 USD. I suspect CD releases have lowered the LP value considerably.

Elvis/Having Fun On Stage- I saw more than once in the 80's and early 90's this LP trading hands for upwards of $100. During last 10 years I have seen NM copies for 3.99-5.99 a couple of times a year. Being a terrible listen doesn't help the value on this one. I have no idea if it is on CD.

Other examples???

2. GaryHabermas

GaryHabermas Black metal will always be my first love

Firstly- Straight Up has dropped in value?

It's a great album that's a sonic marvel.

Secondly, to address your question directly, nearly every album that I've bought.

fretter, timnor, Anaplian and 13 others like this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The complete Billy Joel catalogue
    The complete Elton John catalogue
    The complete Rod Stewart catalogue
    The complete Eagles catalogue

4. supermolland

supermolland Senior Member

From what I’m seeing those have all gone way up in price. 10-15 years ago those could be found for $5 or less, now they are more in the range of $15-25.

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Billy Joel LPs go for higher prices these days. A bit like Rumours in that regard. May be true of Elton and Eagles as well.

I agree about Rod Stewart though. Even the great albums on Mercury go cheap still.

6. monovinyl

monovinyl Senior Member

Honestly...I'd love to purchase a NM UK Straight up.
    If I saw one in the wild - I'd snap it up!

7. BrentB

Elton. Joel, Stewart, Eagles all flooded the dollar bins around here in the 90's-early 2000's. In fact the Joel catalog I have many times over and probably never paid over 2.00 each NM. The Eagles seemed to be the first to rise in value. Maybe because the earlier releases did not sell in the masses like the Elton or Joel. And yes the Joel especially I have seen a sharp rise. I have sold 3 Greatest hits for 25-30 at each of the last 3 shows.

izgoblin, zebop, Jarleboy and 3 others like this.
  8. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Most classical music LPs from big European labels such as Deutsche Grammophon, Philips, EMI. Apart from a few exceptions (some Decca, some obscure stuff that commands a big price) these LPs can be had for pennies now, and in Europe they used to cost as much as $40 apiece when they were new.

uzn007, Anaplian, bopdd and 11 others like this.
  9. BrentB

Yes. I see them occasionally at the local store for well under $20. A friend of mine recently picked up a NM for 14.00. I stupidly passed on a NM UK about a year ago at a show for $12. I have 2 US NM is the only reason why. And because I was stupid at the time...

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

If I went out tomorrow I could pick up every Billy Joel album from Cold Spring Harbour (on Philips) to River of Dreams and still have change from $50.

11. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

I assume my Gary Glitter collection is pretty worthless now.

12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

A lot of the original UK singles are mono and have non album songs on the B sides.

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Maybe the price increase hasn't hit Australia yet. (If you are thinking of CDs they'd be cheaper. Has River of Dreams ever been released as an LP?)

905 and Jarleboy like this.
  14. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I just said River of Dreams so I could have the whole shebang. I don't think Greatest Hits vol 3 came out on vinyl as well. Okay I could get Cold Spring Harbour and Piano Man (both on Philips and CBS) and everything up to the Russian live album and still have change from $50.

parman, Easy-E and Jarleboy like this.
  15. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Late-era original Monkees records, for the most part. Back during the '80s revival, Colgems copies of Instant Replay went for $30-40, Head around $40-50, Present closer to $70-80, and Changes regularly hit the $100 mark. Oh, and the three compilations (Greatest Hits, Golden Hits, and Big Barrel) were all ridiculously pricey. These days, I see Replay and Present in the racks for anywhere from $5-15 and Changes has dropped to $40ish. The comps have collapsed, as well. Head has held it's value for the most part, probably due to the cachet and the cool cover. And of course the mono Birds and Bees has skyrocketed. It's pretty surreal seeing the Rhino '80s reissues generally going for more than their Colgems counterparts - of course, they're older now than the originals were when they were reissued.

16. GaryHabermas

Perhaps the poster was referring to the unsavoury revelations about the artist that might have affected the 'brand'.

17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It's all about the music. If it were about musicians' personal lives every thread on this forum would be on Pat Boone and Cliff Richard ;)

19. Alf Panek

Alf Panek Forum Resident

Badfinger LPs are going for cheap and as someone who didn’t have any a few months ago I have been loving this :)

I’m also surprised how inexpensive original pressings of Buffalo Springfield LPs are.

20. BrentB

I see quite a bit of the Monkees (not necessarily NM) in the 1.00 bins regularly. Except for Head.

21. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

22. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Imagine in '81 being told mint Rumours albums would be the same price as Straight Up.

23. GaryHabermas

No, it's not all about the music sometimes.

24. GaryHabermas

Buffalo Springfield's going cheap now?

I have got to keep track of these trends.

25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Springfield albums were never out of print. I mainly see later yellow label copies.