LP's that have NOT held their value over the decades.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BrentB, Mar 17, 2023.

1. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Gotta tell me the name of this magical record store you're going to. (I assume it has a time machine attached?)
    You're gonna need a couple $50's and then some just to pick up River of Dreams on vinyl these days, never mind the other 13.
    Billy Joel - River Of Dreams

And you're not getting GH I&II for under $25 or Storm Front for under $20 unless they're basically destroyed.

Leugi likes this.
  2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

But a baker's dozen of Glass Houses maybe... I was always running into that particular record back when I had black fingers!

I'm pretty confident that obscure British Folk LPs will always retain a decent value.

3. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Posting about the business is what interests me.
    I can only repeat how great the Monkees are, so many times.

4. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

It is
    the way
    I converse.
    I may have to
    work
    tomorrow morning.

5. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

:yikes::wtf::shrug::magoo::doh::tiphat:

Manalishi, WMTC, caravan70 and 2 others like this.
  6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Dealers buying from other dealers is a common practice. Most of them participate. Some might hold back items to make sure they have them when doors open but trading before the doors open is common practice. There's very few that wouldn't buy or sell before doors open. Usually they are doing one or both.

You'll have a lot of dealers on your "hope not to cross paths" list if this bothers you.

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They were, but is that all you listen to? To be fair this is a thread asking about prices and values.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Of course, but most aren't out for maximum greed and love a lot of music as well as collect themselves. The ones that are all about profit and nothing else don't have anything to offer me so I don't buy from them or want to waste time on them. I have a huge lot of records across many genres including plenty these people would love the money from in excellent condition, as well as ones these soulless types would turn down that I love and ones they wouldn't have a clue about that are sought after, so it's doing me alright. Every one gets played. Most record dealers are good people and passionate about music. The ones I like are about being fair and not overly greedy. Luckily there are plenty around here and they've been around a long time. The greedy ones don't seem to last long.

420JJJazz666, caravan70 and Buddybud like this.
  9. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

In the '80s, free (and clean) copies of both of those weren't hard to come by around here.

caravan70 and Man at C&A like this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I never see the 70s albums for £5. I know this as I don't have them and I'd pick them up cheap. I can imagine them being a hard sell though. The concept albums didn't even appeal at the time and the sleeves are awful! They always seem far removed from The Kinks that UK fans love.

11. ILovethebassclarinet

The Fugs' Golden Filth has plenty of noisy guitarwork, and the patter was amusing enough to me that at one time, I would repeat the routines for others myself.

12. ILovethebassclarinet

Free is more than I'd be willing to pay for something I'd never play.

WMTC and Man at C&A like this.
  13. ILovethebassclarinet

I sold mine for more than I paid for it back in the late '70s; would have held onto it longer, but the rent had to be paid; I think I got around $5 for it, which means I doubled my money on the c/o copy..

14. ILovethebassclarinet

I've never peeled the banana on the c/o copy I bought c. 1970, though I did lift enough of it when it was new to peek underneath.

420JJJazz666 and Man at C&A like this.
  15. ILovethebassclarinet

Probably 50-75% of the classical LPs that I have I've acquired in the past 10-15 years, at modest prices, many at MSU Salvage, where a very large collection was dumped a few years back.

WMTC and Jim B. like this.
  16. ILovethebassclarinet

A record I paid about $2 for - 50 years ago. He used to play live around here at the time for like $1 cover, and did so for years, 'til Live Bullet.

17. ILovethebassclarinet

Funny to me as they are the only ones on that list that I've ever owned records by; the first 2 Aerosmith LPs were actually pretty popular around here, and early on, they played here in town several times.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    ODShowtime likes this.
  18. ILovethebassclarinet

Got the 1st MG LP w/DS's finger for 50 cents new as a c/o c. 1969, and the subsequent ones at 'then new' LP prices, $2-$4 (mono was still often an option then, for $1 less). I always thought MG '69 was under-rated too, for that matter.

19. ILovethebassclarinet

Of course, it's all subjective; I wouldn't pay $1 for the complete recorded works of EJ, just as most folks wouldn't pay $1 to buy the jazz stuff that I'd be willing to pay a great deal more than $1 for.

20. ILovethebassclarinet

Perspective is funny; of thousands, I've paid c. $25 for LPs maybe 20 times, at most, if that many.

izgoblin likes this.
  21. ILovethebassclarinet

But still, a sizable percent more than you paid for them.

TonyR likes this.
  22. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

The "value" of an LP is entirely down to how badly someone wants it, at that particular moment.

23. ILovethebassclarinet

Funny, I looked up Bunkville too, and my own house was on the map, so it may be that I live there too, and I've always found it a pretty easy place to blow my cash on inexpensive music storage choices, like 45s, LPs, CDs and '78s...

24. ILovethebassclarinet

Or the next day, when they come back to buy it if it's still there, something I've done many times.

420JJJazz666, BrentB and Man at C&A like this.
  25. ILovethebassclarinet

50 years ago, they were 2 or 3 for $1, sealed & new, and still didn't sell.

Doghouse Riley likes this.